Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to get a quote for my 2022 Model X but this progressive insurance is a nightmare to deal with.
They don't have the 2022 Model X on the list and also an error when I entered my VIN.

View attachment 764203
They THEMSELVES are waiting for theirs. So they’re like “Suuure you have one… suck it bud, we ain’t insuring no 2022 Model X until we get ours.” 🤣

What's better: one Model Y plus five two-week trips to a 5-star Four Seasons hotel on 3 Hawaiian islands, Samui and Seychelles for you, your wife and your kids or one Model X and a long multi-year wait?

Both.

Like my brothers and sisters in this purgatory of arrested development, my life is dope and I do dope sh*t.

Last edited:
i ended up using the tesla insurance - seems cheaper, but im going back to esurance or progressive. i was getting the same error as you.
Tesla insurance was cheapest for me until i found Wawanesa. At least with my model Y. I got quotes from like 5 insurance companies and Tesla was cheapest, but Wawanesa quote is even better. I'm going to keep tesla insurance until after I get my Plaid X and then get a requote from Wawanesa

I want to get my words back… It seems that Long Range Model X isn’t being produced because they wait for the new 4680 batteries! Tesla officially promised them in March (”by the end of Q1”).

This might also be the reason why they cancelled Plaid in the 5- and 7-seater configurations. They would come with the new batteries that were not compatible with the Plaid motors because of some issues that needed additional work for resolving them.

GUYS.... get this sh*t. I already submitted everything and bank has commenced the payment side. Switched insurance to take care of the car for now and was even about to head to CarMax tomorrow to sell it.

Tesla just called to tell me they 'matched me with a September 2020 order holder's car'. He was very apologetic and kept asking permission to unmatch so that person could get their car in San Antonio. I guess I'm too much of a nice guy and said ok. He promised that any car that becomes available in Texas will come to me at my pricing. I said I didn't care about interior or exterior color.

So back in the waiting pool I go. I'm angry at myself. I want to be angry at the dude for making the mistake of assigning it to two people, but holy crap. Emotional rollercoaster.
Man I really feel sorry for you, I was really hopeful after you got a VIN, kept refreshing my own page multiple times today hoping to see a VIN. Now I'm sure by the time the car is assigned we will be on a SpaceX rocket to Mars and will be taking delivery over there 😢😢😢

• Funny
Reactions: Stro and ironwill96
Yes

Same

YAY!!!!!

NOOOOOO!!!!!!

@Stro Welcome to the PrIoRiTy QuEuE... 🙄🙃😩

I called my SA as I am now in my 2/2 - 2/23 EDD window. My guy wasn't in the office today but I talked to another rep who is very smart/second in command and she told me that I have been softmatched and should be getting VIN any day now.. She also said that S's and X's in particular have been staying at factory longer than normal as of late for additional testing. So even if i get a VIN tomorrow I still wouldn't get my car until the latter part of my EDD window. She said the X's usually get VINs and are at test track/inspection for 2-3 weeks on average then get shipped out to buyers location. So roughly a 3-4 week process for me once VIN is assigned. She also said that people who get cars shortly after being VINed are getting a "rejected" car for either financing reasons and/or defects. Or because they live a rock throw away from the factory and it get it quicker due to the logistics. So more waiting is in store for me.. All though being softmatched is step one.. Factory gate is number two... Delivery text/3 day window is 3.

I got VIn’d today and delivery setup for 5 days from now. Hope it’s not a reject! April ‘21 order. Black black 6 seat Plaid.

So much 5/7 seat talk jamming up this thread. I think Tesla doesn't see the point of making 5/7 seat X's and I agree:
5 Seat - just get a Model S - it's more practical, has similar storage space.
7 Seat - Back row is useless, very uncomfortable, low visibility.
Making just one type of X is a great business decision from manufacturing and maintenance standpoints.
But I do feel for buyers who are getting the bait and switch, that stinks.

I don't think they will cancel 5 and 7 seats, if we look at sales in Norway Tesla Registration Stats you will see the most sold is 5 seats 5124, the 6 and 6 seats have similar sales 4400, and if we check the Order tracker sheet around 40% is 5 and 7 seats, and here is already "sufering" for the cancelation of Plais 5/7 seats, and the bait to switch for 6 seats for 2021 deliver.

Of course Tesla will have a more complet data, and also information of the number um Plaid reservations switch to 7 Seats, converted to LR or cancelations, and will dicede acording to that.

In my case if they cancel LR 7 seats i will cancel my reservation and start looking for other options.

Reactions: jb401
What's better: one Model Y plus five two-week trips to a 5-star Four Seasons hotel on 3 Hawaiian islands, Samui and Seychelles for you, your wife and your kids or one Model X and a long multi-year wait?
Haha. For this reason my wife and I are test driving a Y on Saturday. She’s not convinced it’ll work for our family, but it’s worth a shot! We have an MP3 now and it’s a bit cozy with four of us!

I want to get my words back… It seems that Long Range Model X isn’t being produced because they wait for the new 4680 batteries! Tesla officially promised them in March (”by the end of Q1”).

This might also be the reason why they cancelled Plaid in the 5- and 7-seater configurations. They would come with the new batteries that were not compatible with the Plaid motors because of some issues that needed additional work for resolving them.
Model X won’t get 4680 until the next refresh. Requires complete body redesign for structural packs and mega castings etc. It will be model Y only for several years. Maybe also the roadster if they ever build it and the semi.

Just drop the 4680 obsession. Waste of space. Not happening for years. People have endlessly droned about 2170s in S and X and now this madness.
100%. Also just buy the car that exists now, when the next great thing comes along trade it in and buy that. It’s not like buying a model X now prevents you from buying the next great thing 3 years from now.

Heck I figure if I go ahead and place an order for another Model X later this year I can start the line for the next refresh model for 2025 delivery!

S and X are not getting those batteries