Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Extraterrestrial space crafts work by increasing the total angular momentum of electrons, so they exhibit relativistic effects due to moving on the orbitals with speeds close to the speed of light...
I'm working on angling electrons to shift frequencies so the thermal radiation will affect molecular vibrations of plaid VIN and move my beloved new starships fabulously detailed astral blue body with it's white interior towards the Burbank del'y center.

Last edited by a moderator:
All tesla model X seats are made in house. The model X is the reason they moved seats to in house to start with years ago because they had supply chain woes (Google the old electrek articles on this topic).
My auto seat restorer tells me basically the only USA company making premium automotive seat and furniture seating foam located in Mississippi had an explosion and fire and their plant was destroyed in the hurricane 18 months ago. And then the freeze in Texas last year shut down the plant that makes a key raw material for creating this same foam. Might have something to do with no back seats?

You called? 😉

Two things here:

Cargo
Does the 6-seat work for your cargo? I agree with the suggestion that you should test it, preferably with a vehicle in your area. My guess is that a string bass should work if you put the neck between the captain chairs. For me, the 6-seater is more problematic as I regularly carry a pair of Pakayak kayaks in summer.

Selling second vehicle
What to do with 2 vehicles? For me, I have absolutely no need for 2 Model X. So the question is what to do with the 2nd. If I do take delivery on the refresh, I will have to sell my 2018 Model X. My recent experience with selling my 2014 Model S was painful: the Tesla trade-in offer was nowhere close to its value, other businesses (Zoom, Carvana, Shift, CarMax, etc.) were a bit below what I wanted, and too many flakes and scammers when trying to sell to a private buyer. I wound up selling to a local luxury car dealer, who took one month to pay and never returned my phone calls. However, with a newer vehicle with far fewer miles, I hope and believe that commercial offers will be much more reasonable. Conversely, considering the hassles of trying to sell an 8-year old Tesla to a private buyer, there’s no way I would sell a newer Tesla to a private buyer. And that goes double for trying to flip the new vehicle - much too big of a chance for a scam, buyer’s remorse, etc. So in short, I would only consider the Tesla trade-in along with other commercial buyers.

Finally, one tip on pricing of a used vehicle: I found the online valuation tools are not that accurate. The way to get an accurate valuation is to search the closed/completed listings on eBay Motors since they show actual prices paid. That said, I’m still hesitant to sell such a valuable car on eBay for the reasons I mentioned earlier: flakes, scams, buyer’s remorse, etc.
And when you trade to Tesla you get the sales tax credit from the value of the trade and no hassles in disposing of your old vehicle.

My auto seat restorer tells me basically the only USA company making premium automotive seat and furniture seating foam located in Mississippi had an explosion and fire and their plant was destroyed in the hurricane 18 months ago. And then the freeze in Texas last year shut down the plant that makes a key raw material for creating this same foam. Might have something to do with no back seats?

Good info...thanks. I did a search and found this article from March 2021.

I wouldn't pay anything until you're sitting in the X and can confirm it's actually yours to drive away with. There are people that have paid the previous day before picking up their X only for Tesla to assign said vehicle to someone else.
Yes, you're right. I actually did see that on a few pages.
I would recommend that you pay for the car about 48 hours prior to taking delivery (you don't say when that is...) Your wife's taking delivery as you are out of town - let her focus on taking possession of the car, taking pictures of the entire thing inside and out (Any issues within the 1st 100 miles are responsibility of Tesla - so, just have her take lots of pictures (paint, weatherstrip, frunk and FWD open and closed, interior, seats, dash, etc...)

Once you review the pictures, you and her can discuss and then submit a service appointment to fix anything that you don't like. By the way, while she is at the delivery center, if she notices anything significant - there are employees there that can either make minor adjustments or advise her.

I have taken delivery of two cars from them - they are great at providing follow up service - So, I am confident they will resolve any mechanical type of issues (I have been fortunate and have not had any paint issues - which I would hate to repaint a panel.... )

Others on the forum may not agree - but it has worked out for me... that's why I keep buying the cars...
She's taking delivery on Feb 9. I'm going to tell her to pay via the app when she approves of the car. I gave her a short list to check, her number one question is to ask whether or not the car has been rejected by a previous customer due to quality issues. Other than that, I'll let her see what's wrong. I don't want to make her overwhelmed.

That's a good idea to have her take lots of pictures for closer inspection. I'll let her know to do that.

Thanks guys for your replies.

When November and even January orders are being completed it's absolutely an insult to the rest of us who are sitting on a year or more of waiting for something. No disparaging toward the new owners, but Tesla is essentially telling us we're not a priority to them - at all.
as much as I hate to say it but during those times where companies are losing money due to supply issues it only makes sense to squeeze every dollar that they can.
I do the same in my business where I'll dedicate time and resources to clients where my profit is higher and as long as their cars are flying off the lot it makes no sense to Not give priority to higher margins sales.
yes I'm upset, Yes I want my car ASAP but we're not in regular times and there's no real competition for Tesla YET so us that are paying less will just have to wait.
This will not come to bite Tesla later on cuz generally speaking people have short memory.

Just be thankful Tesla doesn't have a tradition dealer system where you'd be paying 10-30k over sticker

Last edited by a moderator:
We were 10 degrees from a repeat of last year here in Texas. We can handle the sun touching us, but God forbid temps reach the teens.

as much as I hate to say it but during those times where companies are losing money due to supply issues it only makes sense to squeeze every dollar that they can.
I do the same in my business where I'll dedicate time and resources to clients where my profit is higher and as long as their cars are flying off the lot it makes no sense to Not give priority to higher margins sales.
yes I'm upset, Yes I want my car ASAP but we're not in regular times and there's no real competition for Tesla YET so us that are paying less will just have to wait.
This will not come to bite Tesla later on cuz generally speaking people have short memory.

Just be thankful Tesla doesn't have a tradition dealer system where you'd be paying 10-30k over sticker
I’d agree except my price is 113K. I’ve seen lower priced LRs get delivered.

Yep that’s my prevailing theory too. When I was looking at RVs last year they said foam for the seats in them was causing huge issues because of Texas issues early 2021. Heard the same thing when we ordered a mattress and it took 8 months to get delivered due to foam problems causing factory delays.

Officially in my delivery date window, Feb 6 - Feb 27. Tesla called me two days ago about trade in, I declined. They also told me that I would be getting a VIN during my EDD. She told me to call back the end of next week if no VIN appears. Hopefully get something (VIN) soon.

Officially in my delivery date window, Feb 6 - Feb 27. Tesla called me two days ago about trade in, I declined. They also told me that I would be getting a VIN during my EDD. She told me to call back the end of next week if no VIN appears. Hopefully get something (VIN) soon.
same here. texted about trade in with EDD 2/9-2/25. they said should be getting vin before end of month. totally not holding my breath or anyone else’s.

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Did I misread or you got the call for being a July order? I thought they only called for orders placed in the first quarter or earlier.
That is correct. Ordered July 10th 2021 and got the "call" the afternoon of October 18th 2021. Offered to keep same base price and update to 6 seater with a promise of delivery by the end of the year. I also had a VIN assigned at the end of November 2021 and removed the following day.
1644157532435.png

1644157549759.png