Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered early November 2021. Plaid, red, white interior, 20", FSD. Florida. EDD on the website when ordering was August. EDD was August ever since November but on 2/5 it changed to February 22 - March 13. Today, 2/9 I got my VIN!

Super lucky to be honest. I also just picked up a M3P today and coincidentally got a VIN today as well. Honestly not ready for 2 cars within the same month. Obviously I have to take delivery now and not hold right? Honestly wish it was any other day than today because I just got another tesla lol.

VIN range is 3330xx. Is this new or a reject? Haven't asked about build date yet
View attachment 767207
All you know it is a 2022... Congrats - hopefully.

How much parallel parking have you done? That is what concerns me with the yolk. I have to do that periodically.
None, yet, but I have done a few U-turns. To spin the yoke, you can "palm" one of the top "yoke-horns" to push the yoke about 90 degrees and then move your finger or side of your hand into the "V" between the top of the yoke and the "yoke-horn" to continue turning. It's a fairly natural movement.

I also did not find it difficult to move between a traditional steering wheel and a yoke.

Well, I got a VIN this morning for an LR (ordered 05/04). Previously, my delivery window was 2/14-03/04. Also received a prompt to schedule delivery 2/21-2/23. I already took delivery of an X Plaid on 01/29. Initially, I thought I would also take delivery of the LR. However, I changed my mind, and I am going to cancel the order. Honestly, with the way things have been going, I thought I would have more time to think it over. Hopefully this means one of you gets your car sooner. MSM, black, 20” wheels.

Attachments

• 2CEDB445-1DD7-43C4-A89C-719F9DFA3F23.png
    2CEDB445-1DD7-43C4-A89C-719F9DFA3F23.png
    266.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 7AEC098A-081D-4273-AFFE-1B77D394A7AC.png
    7AEC098A-081D-4273-AFFE-1B77D394A7AC.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 216596CC-F53C-41D5-9FFF-34E01EB21386.png
    216596CC-F53C-41D5-9FFF-34E01EB21386.png
    362.7 KB · Views: 58
Well, I got a VIN this morning for an LR (ordered 05/04). Previously, my delivery window was 2/14-03/04. Also received a prompt to schedule delivery 2/21-2/23. I already took delivery of an X Plaid on 01/29. Initially, I thought I would also take delivery of the LR. However, I changed my mind, and I am going to cancel the order. Honestly, with the way things have been going, I thought I would have more time to think it over. Hopefully this means one of you gets your car sooner. MSM, black, 20” wheels.
You should explore keeping the order and selling it, I've seen these going for some really crazy markups to private buyers who are desperate and A) don't want to wait B) paid or will have to pay an extra 15k anyway

Anyway if you can swing it financially I would take delivery and sell it.

American Media has unfortunately never been kind to pioneers and Tesla in particular though they are responsible for the EV revolution today. Though we have our beef with Mr. Musk for delaying our cars and the comms(lack of) mess, this article reeks of the usual smear fest.

American Media has unfortunately never been kind to pioneers and Tesla in particular though they are responsible for the EV revolution today. Though we have our beef with Mr. Musk for delaying our cars and the comms(lack of) mess, this article reeks of the usual smear fest.
Smear fest? A car is turning left right in front of an approaching truck that it sees. This looks like an absolute disregard to safety, logic and lives of their customers. One line of code could prevent that! CC: @elon musk.

Here is my $0.02 as a Controller working for a company that manufactures products while dealing with supply chain issues. Elon's response yesterday brought clarity for me. The number one rule in manufacturing is keep the production line moving. Nothing is more costly than a line shut down. If they are having an issue with trim specific to the 5 and 7 seaters, they would produce 6 seaters to keep the line running. They start with LR until they could get the Plaid sorted out. Then they switch to Plaid to maximize profits. Now they are doing Plaid and LR. As long as it is a 6 seater. The line is producing.

Then they realize there are not enough 6 seater orders to keep the line going until the trim issues are resolved. The answer is to convert 5 and 7 seat Plaid orders to 6 seaters only. This gives them more units to keep the lines moving until the trim issue is resolved. Based on this I think we will see 5 and 7 seaters eventually (months?) once they sort out the trim. I also think they will bring back the 5 and 7 seat Plaid, but not until everything else is sorted out.

Other delays appear to be due to airbags, headlights, etc,. As we have seen, they can still keep the line moving, fill up the lot, then add the part in later. Shipping logistics is not as big of an issue as inbound, especially exports.
What trim would be specific for 5/7 seater? Could the missing trim actually means the second row bench seats ?
If it's aesthetic trim I think I can drive around without it since I am comfortable driving with part of the steering wheel missing.

Last edited:

Welcome to hell, buddy. You should expect that date range to change 8+ times, if my experience is anything to go by.

• Disagree
Reactions: JimBob 909
Just got a VIN — Should I get insurance now? Or wait?
My insurance company emailed me an insurance card (I gave them the VIN and ownership info). Actual coverage and premium costs won't start until I tell them I'm actually getting the vehicle. I'll give them the green light a day or two ahead of the delivery, especially since my current scheduled delivery date is Sunday 2/20 and I want to be sure of having coverage for the drive home.

I've done this three times already for one car. Two cards for the 2021 VIN I got from Tesla in November (two cards because my insurance happens to run on a December 15-June 15 calendar, and I didn't know if delivery was going to be before or after December 15). So I had a card expiring 12/15/2021 and a second card expiring 6/15/2022. Tesla pulled the November VIN, of course. I got my 2022 VIN a week ago, and I've emailed card #3 to Tesla as a completed task in the Tesla app.

Great writeup.
Valid points and honestly, we are all taken for a ride. :)
I can feel some fans of Tesla here seething in rage and wanting to ask me to choose any other car. :)
My point is, if I am made to wait for over a year and am a customer, I can be mad at Tesla and rant about my frustration. $99 I gave for the order does buy me the right.
I am a victim of the call in Oct 2021 who was asked to change to 6 seat config to get my car by the end of the year if I could pay extra $6500 to which I agreed. I am still waiting.
Monopoly in the market for EV is what is causing the headstrong behavior of Tesla.
You, me, all of us have a right to complain about this horrendous customer experience since 2020.

If, when they blew the April 2021 delivery date, they announced with a sincere apology that:

imaginary announcement "our planned production ramp of the MX will be delayed significantly. Once parts are available we will begin production of the 6 seat configuration of the LR and Paid until we have delivered 20% of the first order holders of that configuration. Then we will pivot to the 7 Seat configuration until we have delivered 20% of the first order holders of that configuration and then the same for the 5 seat configuration. It is our sincere hope that by the time the first set of the 5 seat configuration is in production we will be at full production ramp and wait times will be normalized. We understand missing the April 2021 date has been negatively impacting customers so all those with April 2021 delivery dates will receive free super charging miles with our sincere apologies. "

Then anyone ordering after that imaginary announcement knew the risks and choose to order anyway. But there was no announcement, no clarification, no setting of reasonable expectations.

Here is what actually happened to me, I was called by my Tesla Advisor in Dedham MA on 1/28/2021. He told me my 2020 Tesla Model X order which I had secured financing for and Insurance had been canceled. He said all previous Model X order holders are being offered a "new" order for the refresh Model X that was just announced. The cost of the Model X was going up by $10k but if I committed by 2/28/2021 I would get a $2K credit and be on a priority build/delivery list for April 2021. This was only being offered to 2020 order holders and I have to commit to it by EOD 2/28/2021. If I did not commit by the cut off date and I decided later I wanted the refresh I would have to pay the full $10k and my order would be added to the bottom of the rapidly growing list as many people had been holding off on ordering waiting for the refresh.

This communication was clear and conscience. This is what's happened, here is our offer to you, if you don't accept here is what happens. They defined everything. For my part, I agreed to the new offer on 2/12021.

I heard nothing until October when I got the offer to switch to 6 seater with a delivery before 12/31/2021. I laughed at the guy. One, I don’t believe you will deliver before 12/31/2021 and I don't have another $6,500.00 to give Tesla.

So now I sit and I wait with you all... wishing things were different, angry with Tesla's lies and deceptions and their indifference to their customers. *sigh*

Like many of you I decided to take evasive action in regards to my LR Model X. I ordered my wife a LR Model Y on 2-1-22 thinking the X may not come in March. I changed that order to a Model Y Performance this morning after the April place holder went active. This afternoon I received a VIN and delivery window for the Model YP within the next 2 weeks. I'll sell my current LR Model Y if the X ever arrives. You can't make this up! 🤷‍♂️
So now I'm getting passed by people on model Y safety orders too... I ordered a MYP in November, still no VIN.