Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is good point +/- 90 degree restriction on ailerons. I vaguely remember someone talking about the future of yoke is looking toward full drive by wire and how this might reduce the steering angle required for future systems - adaptive turn ratio?

The prototype lexus is already putting these two concepts together:

I am nervous about yoke - and, as an impractical consumer concerned with practicality of purchase, I worry the yoke puts refresh X into smaller re-sale market. BUT, so does the lack of middle seat drop down arm rest...haha.
For some (like me) yoke was the reason they put in an order!

Would this not work in 2023 ? Did the rules change for 179 deductions?
It is phasing out starting 2023, 100% deduction in 2022 which goes down to 80% in 2023 (section 179 and bonus deprecation) and keeps dropping.

You are liable for taxes when you end business use so really need the vehicle to depreciate for it to make a lot of sense. It’s not a free car, I’ll just get like $65k or so back in taxes on my return which for me will be sort of like not making a payment for 3+ years. But when I sell or trade it later it’ll be taxable (as income) based on that value. Need to take to CPA and run the numbers. I have done leases with like 97% (% of business use) write off in the past.

Reactions: Prairie
As a pilot myself, this comparison is absolutely, completely, wrong. The yoke on an airplane does not go past 90 degrees in either direction. And the only time you go full deflection (outside of aerobatics or an emergency) is on the ground when you are making sure the controls are "free and correct." Yokes work very well in airplanes because of this.

However, in a car, you have to turn the wheel over and over (2.4 turns lock to lock on the S/X?). This is a completely different motion and use case for which a yoke is not ideal. I agree that for highway cruising, the yoke works great and is analogous to its use in an airplane. But when making tighter turns, the yoke in a car is not analogous to its use in an airplane.

As I said, you are free to like what you like, but you cannot compare yoke usage in an S/X to yoke usage in an airplane. Any attempt to equate them is factually wrong.
Ahhh - mannn. You missed the point. I wasn't trying to compare the Model X's yoke to that of an airplane, I was trying to say that things evolve. That full circle wheel on older aircraft proved unnecessary. So someone decided to change to a yoke. Made more sense. Things change. And I'll bet the yoke is much more comfortable.

Boeing always had a flight engineer on their aircraft. Even the B-17 had a flight engineer. Unnecessary - as proved by future much more complex aircraft. They could have carried another two hundred pounds of bombs.

Anyway, the yoke is the yoke. Love it or ..... I happen to love it.

I do not like losing the lane change with EAP. I really enjoyed that but I'm darned if I'll pay and additional 30k for that. Maybe as a pilot you're OK with FAD - I'm not. We have a saying in engineering - Pioneers get arrows. For each your own.

And oh - the X is an absolutely amazing machine. I'll say again - I sincerely hope that the Model X crew reads these comments because they have to be told that they've done an absolutely exceptional job.....

Currently showing EDD of 9/29 - 12/8 for LR, Black/Cream, 20", 6 seat, no FSD. Early December will be 23 months since order date, ugh.

Ok, but here's the interesting thing: Tesla clearly prioritizes high-margin orders (FSD, Plaid, more expensive options). Makes perfect sense and as shareholder, I want them to do this. However, aren't they creating business risk but burying all lower-margin orders? If their future deliveries are increasingly weighted toward orders like mine (e.g. a $100k, LR X). isn't margin going to tank? Of course if production ramps and demand continues to grow, no issue.

BUT if a recession hits, new, current-price orders slow and therefore production does not continue to ramp, then the basket of orders they have to fill could be underwater. Arguing against: a recession will also mean fewer people buying expensive cars, so some orders cancelled. But then Tesla would be betting people like me blink first...

Tesla doesn't tell us the makeup of orders they have on the books, but we do know they have this habit of kicking the can down the road on lower-margin orders. What do you all think?
I think it is very short sided. If they want to prioritize sales taken in a particular week -sure. But it is especially egregious if they are in fact bumping orders made months ago because a new rich kid wants to buy a Plaid.

Reactions: 1pinhigh
Hi Folks, I just posted a new video to my North East Tesla YouTube Channel.
We examine the Infotainment system from a Passenger’s point of view. I just got a critical comment that I'm being too negative. I explained I'm a Tesla Customer. I'm not a Tesla salesman. I share the good and the bad of my owners experience. People have a right to hear all of it. Hope you all enjoy....

One accessory is a key fob cover.
I got this on Amazon. It’s metal, but I also saw some leather and some TPU covers
View attachment 816061
I thought I would use the fob constantly and also got these same covers..so far the phone as key with the keycard in my wallet as a backup works amazingly. Not carrying keys around in my pocket is just so nice!

I just open the doors when I’m walking up from the phone app so there is no waiting for it to detect the phone to auto present. Plus it’s just plain fun to tap all the door open controls from 40 feet away and watch everything open in a beautiful symphony of excess. Also nearby children going “wow mom look at that!” never gets old lol.

Last edited:
It is phasing out starting 2023, 100% deduction in 2022 which goes down to 80% in 2023 (section 179 and bonus deprecation) and keeps dropping.
You are liable for taxes when you end business use so really need the vehicle to depreciate for it to make a lot of sense. It’s not a free car, I’ll just get like $65k or so back in taxes on my return which for me will be sort of like not making a payment for 3+ years. But when I sell or trade it later it’ll be taxable (as income) based on that value. Need to take to CPA and run the numbers. I have done leases with like 97% (% of business use) write off in the past.
is it taxable as income past 5 years? iirc after 5 years, depreciation recapture ends.

is it taxable as income past 5 years? iirc after 5 years, depreciation recapture ends.
I am not a CPA but no it is not just a free vehicle after 5 years. My understanding is you could keep it for 15 years and 300k mi, sell it for $20k, and have virtually no tax burden at that time. I am not planning on doing that, but you could hypothetically keep it until there is almost no value. With section 179 route you can still deduct maintenance, tires, repairs, auto insurance etc but you CANNOT deduct mileage.

Hi Folks, I just posted a new video to my North East Tesla YouTube Channel.
We examine the Infotainment system from a Passenger’s point of view. I just got a critical comment that I'm being too negative. I explained I'm a Tesla Customer. I'm not a Tesla salesman. I share the good and the bad of my owners experience. People have a right to hear all of it. Hope you all enjoy....

All valid complaints, its essentially 100% useless for kids, no way of controlling it from the front, kids cant really reach it while buckled up. They cant watch shows without the audio either being off or played in the entire car. All I want is dual bluetooth headset support and separate audio from rear entertainment and in car, oh and ability to 100% control screen from front.

I hope they focus on this in software development asap

Quick update
I actually got my Model X today. 😍😍😍
It’s basically perfect. 💕And it is powerful!!!😊
I literally arrived, walked around the X, paid in the app, and drove off within a few minutes. Arrived home, and after all family obligations it was after midnight but I went over the Model X with those two recently posted checklists because I am already at 81 miles and needed to get that done.

The few issues it has are not deal breakers.
Plus I went with my woman who is a major un-Karen. I pointed out a few things and said “some people have rejected over this” and she was like “what the *sugar*?!? It’s fine!” (And btw she was like that about her Y also, so she’s being fair.)

So that helped me think rationally and overall it is basically perfect.

I totally love it. I am requesting service on the few little issues I found.
8C00DCCE-713A-494D-B298-F94FB7BED133.jpeg

Attachments

• AFFE1893-8BFD-45B8-8231-F27E99125E6F.jpeg
    AFFE1893-8BFD-45B8-8231-F27E99125E6F.jpeg
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 070FC31F-3C52-45FB-A45D-5133432CA71F.jpeg
    070FC31F-3C52-45FB-A45D-5133432CA71F.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 9C0555C1-69A7-4416-8E71-E520EC05329B.jpeg
    9C0555C1-69A7-4416-8E71-E520EC05329B.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 63E8B502-4B72-4532-AB43-548C1D496A07.jpeg
    63E8B502-4B72-4532-AB43-548C1D496A07.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 80C8FD93-D096-4314-8339-1B8531E6EA0D.jpeg
    80C8FD93-D096-4314-8339-1B8531E6EA0D.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Quick update
I actually got my Model X today. 😍😍😍
It’s basically perfect. 💕And it is powerful!!!😊
I literally arrived, walked around the X, paid in the app, and drove off within a few minutes. Arrived home, and after all family obligations it was after midnight but I went over the Model X with those two recently posted checklists because I am already at 81 miles and needed to get that done.

The few issues it has are not deal breakers.
Plus I went with my woman who is a major un-Karen. I pointed out a few things and said “some people have rejected over this” and she was like “what the *sugar*?!? It’s fine!” (And btw she was like that about her Y also, so she’s being fair.)

So that helped me think rationally and overall it is basically perfect.

I totally love it. I am requesting service on the few little issues I found. View attachment 816344
What the issue on the last pic? Uneven door handles?

Reactions: KidsEyeDr