Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im debating getting windows tinted? whats the factory tint on the rears? What film/tint level did you go with?
I did 70% rears and 20% front which will end up matching when paired with the factory dyed glass. The rear glass even though dark doesn’t provide any UV blocking so it needs to be tinted too.

Did 70% on windshield in one piece (hard to find shops that can do this - it can’t be cut in one piece on the plotters most shops have so must be done by hand).

Last edited:
Does MX comes with J1772 adapter? Some hotels have level 2 chargepoint instead of Tesla charger and I believe J1772 adapter is needed to plug into the chargepoint.
Mine did yes. Valet used it this past weekend to charge whenever they put my vehicle on the non tesla chargers (they were moving 10 teslas around between 5-6 mixed type chargers).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aagarwa5
Getting in and out of the S, was a real pain. I found the Model 3 is slightly better. But the Model X is in entirely different league as far as driver access. Major improvement. I would never consider another S. Add to that the amazing visibility, and the X becomes a no-brainer IMO
I’m 6’6” and the X is incredibly easier to get in and out of versus the S. Honestly I’d rather get into a 3 than the S, the entry position for S is super awkward for someone really tall.

Revisiting the USB soap opera. Car is XLR Refresh. I picked it up on June 4th. Noticed that the USB sticks had some weirdness. Using the glove box port: when a stick without the TeslaCam folder is inserted the display picks up the USB stick. However, when the TeslaCam folder is installed the USB icon disappears. Drove me crazy. Spoke with a Tesla tech yesterday and was informed that you cannot mix and match media (playlists) with the video clips. Crazy because that's exactly how I did it on the 2018 XLR. He suggested that I use the Tesla stick in the glovebox and something else with media in the center console. I got a 1TB SSD from COSTCO and transferred a lot of my music to it and plugged it in to one of the center console ports (USB-C). USB icon appears and I'm able to play the media. Using the Tesla stick in the glovebox for videos. Everything appears to be OK, but I don't understand why mixing and matching is not allowed. Don't really care for the long-ish USB-C plug because I know I'll throw something into the storage area and snap it off. So I'll look for a relatively small right angle adapter.

Another problem. I use a ferry to get from Bainbridge to Seattle. The metal decking obscures the GPS satellites (obviously) so the position icon stays on Bainbridge while I'm on the ferry. No surprise. On the old XLR just s soon as I cleared the ferry the GPS would get a fix and display the icon properly. Again, no surprise. On the Refresh I noticed that the GPS had no idea where it was as I exited the ferry. Remained that way until I got up the North Seattle. I know that there's a Dead Reckoning capability (minimal) in the system. The wheels can measure distance and the gyro and compass sensors can give an idea of orientation. So the icon showed me driving around Puget Sound. That was a surprise. Did a reboot and the GPS location corrected itself. The technician I spoke with yesterday asked me to send time stamps to him so he could go back into my car's system and check it out. When I got off the ferry yesterday the GPS was still lost. Then after a few minutes it corrected itself. It could be that the LTE module is faulty. We'll see. I'll keep checking....
This sounds like thermal management issues - my X did a lot of crazy crap (including losing location or having delayed location updates as well as LTE issues) before I got the latest software update and they’re still claiming I may need MCU replacement. They should be able to remotely diagnose this.

I smell end of quarter push...

how is delivery these days? still no-contact , just click 'accept' and drive off without ever meeting anyone?
I can’t speak for everyone, and it does seem every delivery center is different, but my X delivery was literally that simple.

My brother got a hands-on tour of his Model 3 when he picked it up.

But maybe I didn’t miss out that much, because the (?Tesla intern? 😆) showing him his car assured him that even without buying FSD, Teslas change lanes automatically when you turn on the blinker. (He hasn’t bought FSD… yet 😏).

So I had to educate him afterwards. 😄

I did 70% rears and 20% front which will end up matching when paired with the factory dyed glass. The rear glass even though dark doesn’t provide any UV blocking so it needs to be tinted too.

Did 70% on windshield in one piece (hard to find shops that can do this - it can’t be cut in one piece on the plotters most shops have so must be done by hand).
Where /how did you learn that about lack of UV blocking? I saw some Tesla video in which they were talking about how great their (granted it was roof I think) glass is at UV blocking… 🤔

Where /how did you learn that about lack of UV blocking? I saw some Tesla video in which they were talking about how great their (granted it was roof I think) glass is at UV blocking… 🤔
My detailer claimed only the roof of the X is actually tinted and UV protective but the back window and rear sides are just dyed glass and have no heat blocking from UV.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I can’t speak for everyone, and it does seem every delivery center is different, but my X delivery was literally that simple.

My brother got a hands-on tour of his Model 3 when he picked it up.

But maybe I didn’t miss out that much, because the (?Tesla intern? 😆) showing him his car assured him that even without buying FSD, Teslas change lanes automatically when you turn on the blinker. (He hasn’t bought FSD… yet 😏).

So I had to educate him afterwards. 😄
Big push to a point where they are trying to push off 10/2021 built cars as new...this is my situation.

Would you guys be okay with this? I understand Tesla's position.

This sounds like thermal management issues - my X did a lot of crazy crap (including losing location or having delayed location updates as well as LTE issues) before I got the latest software update and they’re still claiming I may need MCU replacement. They should be able to remotely diagnose this.
Thank you for that. I intend to stay on top of this. Know enough about cellular/GPS to ensure that no smoke will break blown ... you know...

So, I'm going to wax poetic for a bit. This has to do with customer service.

I have theory that some customer service folks do internships at Customer Service booths in the Paris Metro. Those of you who have been there know of what I speak. You walk up to the service desk, speak very slowly and tactfully, and the response is the typical French Snarl. Just plain nasty. How do you deal with this? I honestly don't know. Pray that you get a really great Rep....

And, by the way, it's not only our reps - there are a lot of people who seen to intern there. Run into them all the time. If someone has a way to deal with them please let me know....

Oh - my delivery folks were at the other end of the spectrum. May be that the bell shaped curve applies here. I got the outliers at the positive end and some of you get the outliers at the other end....

And regarding the S versus the X for ease of entry. When I was purchasing my Tesla in 2018 I initially wanted an S. The sales rep opened the door and ushered me into the S. Honestly, it hurt my back trying to get into that car. Really. I told him - NO. He said I had to look at the X. I eased my way into the X and told him that this was my car. And that's my car today. No regrets. Believe there's and Edith Piaf song to that effect.

Was there another price increase?
Yes
3476E782-94D9-4377-8E4E-0297A61EDEDE.jpeg