Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The accessories waiting for my MXLR.
- 3d Maxpider mats for 1, 2 and 3rd row seat
- Leather shield for interior
- Screen protector for displays
- Wall charger
- Hansshow auto frunk kit
- Metal key fob cover (Don’t know I can use or not)

What else do I need more?
Any recommendations?
I got a key fob cover. Very cute. Put it on one of the key fobs, put the key fobs away, and haven’t even TOUCHED them since.

In fact I just checked to make sure they’re still there. Yep 😆

Alright, delivery day came and went today. Day 551 since reservation. Contactless, went super smooth even if it was 100 degrees outside. Checked the car out for about 20 minutes and already had to set up a service appointment though. Here are my two cents after 20 miles or so-

Paint:
Minor: bumper alignment, obvious paint seams around welds, and when you peek inside the panel gaps. Doesn't matter, it's all getting wrapped matte anyway.
Major: What looks to be poorly done touch up on top of the trunk by the driver's side FWD. Is the trunk made of steel or aluminum? Worried about rust if it's steel. Also some extra paint or crud got stuff during painting where the FWD bumper meets the inside frame. Hoping TEsla would at least fix the trunk paint issue because oxidation could start bubbling the paint underneath.

FWD:
No differences in gap I can see of all the major panels, but the passenger FWD does not close perfectly flush. Also has about a 40-50% chance of stopping short of closing. Seems like a sensor related thing, maybe the tech can also fix the alignment to make it flush with the front door. Put that in the service request too.

Screen has a little bit of condensation after blasting the A/C but I suspect that's probably normal.

Interior quality is just about perfect. Seat has no folds or wrinkles. Already missed the wheel a couple times with the yoke but getting used to it. My kid is crazy about the screen in the back.

No fobs. Got the mobile charger. Everything else is incredible. The quietest car I've driven, at highway speeds night and day from my 2020 M3LR. Crazy smooth, suspension on comfort is the way I would only drive it. Has crazy pep up top unlike the M3 which is crazy down low. Handling is great so far.

Attachments

• IMG_5553 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5553 Large.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5554 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5554 Large.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5556 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5556 Large.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5557 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5557 Large.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5560 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5560 Large.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5563 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5563 Large.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7283 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7283 Large.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 98
Alright, delivery day came and went today. Day 551 since reservation. Contactless, went super smooth even if it was 100 degrees outside. Checked the car out for about 20 minutes and already had to set up a service appointment though. Here are my two cents after 20 miles or so-

Paint:
Minor: bumper alignment, obvious paint seams around welds, and when you peek inside the panel gaps. Doesn't matter, it's all getting wrapped matte anyway.
Major: What looks to be poorly done touch up on top of the trunk by the driver's side FWD. Is the trunk made of steel or aluminum? Worried about rust if it's steel. Also some extra paint or crud got stuff during painting where the FWD bumper meets the inside frame. Hoping TEsla would at least fix the trunk paint issue because oxidation could start bubbling the paint underneath.

FWD:
No differences in gap I can see of all the major panels, but the passenger FWD does not close perfectly flush. Also has about a 40-50% chance of stopping short of closing. Seems like a sensor related thing, maybe the tech can also fix the alignment to make it flush with the front door. Put that in the service request too.

Screen has a little bit of condensation after blasting the A/C but I suspect that's probably normal.

Interior quality is just about perfect. Seat has no folds or wrinkles. Already missed the wheel a couple times with the yoke but getting used to it. My kid is crazy about the screen in the back.

No fobs. Got the mobile charger. Everything else is incredible. The quietest car I've driven, at highway speeds night and day from my 2020 M3LR. Crazy smooth, suspension on comfort is the way I would only drive it. Has crazy pep up top unlike the M3 which is crazy down low. Handling is great so far.
Screen condensation as described occurs in mine as well. Glad your seats have no wrinkles!
Best car in the whole world, even better than the S because of the auto-presenting doors.

Definitely get the paint fixed. Hope you put in your fix-request within the first hundred miles.

Thanks; appreciate the insight. He just confirms it’s Romex 6 awg. He was going to come back and put in a 60a breaker but given what you said, it was “THNN” that would be fine. I had to lose that extra 8A but you’re saying 6 awg Romex wire (is that a type of wire?) will not be enough to work with a 60a breaker to supply 48a to my X?

I suppose the poor guy didn’t really know if 60a was required etc. He did say he’d done this before etc.
It is worth it to get 4 gauge wire to replace the 6 gauge, IMO.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jkhanesq
I have a Model S Plaid and was considering changing my SUV for the X Plaid. Have had a reservation for a plug in hybrid Tucson for the last 8 months with no movement yet.

When I look on the site, it says expected delivery Aug to Oct 22. How accurate are these windows? For the Plaid, do they usually come fairly quickly? My S came super fast.

Thanks!

So, I just realized this feed was here…. Not sure where I have been.

I ordered my MXLR in May 21. Watched my EDD jump all around. It got to the point I stopped caring. I originally ordered this as a dream, and only planned to take delivery if all the stars aligned. Welp I guess they did.

Towards the end of July, I got the “hold” email, I figured I’d say I was still interested.

Shortly thereafter I got a text about my trade-in. So at that point I figured I was close. I still figured there was no way I could go through with the purchase. I sent them my current 17X’s info as a trade-in. Once their offer came in, I was a) shocked & b) realized I could do this. For my trade in, Tesla offered me more for my X than I paid two years ago and 30,000 miles ago.

So I decided with the equity from my current X and my locked in lower price, I’d be an idiot to not get the new better X.

So late July/ early August, I got a vin, and a few days ago I scheduled delivery.

It’s been a process, but I’m looking forward to the new X.

I’ll miss free supercharging, but I don’t charge all that much away from home.
2AC1E680-52DE-45E6-BF75-90E58CAAE809.jpeg

Seeking the counsel of the gods here:
Originally placed MXLR 22/FSD/W/W on May 25, 2021. It was taking too long so I placed another order for same config for a Plaid on April 17, 2022. I wanted to see which one will be ready first and also my wife could take the MXLR if anything. Got a VIN for the Plaid 2wks ago and picking it up on 8/15. Got a VIN for the MXLR yesterday but my wife already have a new car and we don’t need it. I’d like to transfer the MXLR order/VIN to someone if possible. How do I proceed if this is possible?

So, I just realized this feed was here…. Not sure where I have been.

I ordered my MXLR in May 21. Watched my EDD jump all around. It got to the point I stopped caring. I originally ordered this as a dream, and only planned to take delivery if all the stars aligned. Welp I guess they did.

Towards the end of July, I got the “hold” email, I figured I’d say I was still interested.

Shortly thereafter I got a text about my trade-in. So at that point I figured I was close. I still figured there was no way I could go through with the purchase. I sent them my current 17X’s info as a trade-in. Once their offer came in, I was a) shocked & b) realized I could do this. For my trade in, Tesla offered me more for my X than I paid two years ago and 30,000 miles ago.

So I decided with the equity from my current X and my locked in lower price, I’d be an idiot to not get the new better X.

So late July/ early August, I got a vin, and a few days ago I scheduled delivery.

It’s been a process, but I’m looking forward to the new X.

I’ll miss free supercharging, but I don’t charge all that much away from home.View attachment 837651
Congrats! My x is also have very similar timeline with yours and also located in MD near Baltimore! I got the message that my car is in transit on 8/2 but no appointment text yet.

Reactions: EV3_
Seeking the counsel of the gods here:
Originally placed MXLR 22/FSD/W/W on May 25, 2021. It was taking too long so I placed another order for same config for a Plaid on April 17, 2022. I wanted to see which one will be ready first and also my wife could take the MXLR if anything. Got a VIN for the Plaid 2wks ago and picking it up on 8/15. Got a VIN for the MXLR yesterday but my wife already have a new car and we don’t need it. I’d like to transfer the MXLR order/VIN to someone if possible. How do I proceed if this is possible?
I wonder if a VIN can be transferred to a different order

When I look on the site, it says expected delivery Aug to Oct 22. How accurate are these windows? For the Plaid, do they usually come fairly quickly? My S came super fast.
This looks relatively accurate to me. Some people recently have been getting one within a month of ordering and other orders from the beginning of the year are just getting theirs now. It all depends on location and if they end up having one with your config. I know last quarter at the end they also had several plaids in inventory, so if you are flexible on config\location, you might be able to pick up one of those as well.

Got a VIN for the MXLR yesterday but my wife already have a new car and we don’t need it. I’d like to transfer the MXLR order/VIN to someone if possible. How do I proceed if this is possible?
I'm pretty sure once a VIN is assigned you can't assign the order to someone else. Even without a VIN it sounds relatively difficult to transfer. I think you would have to take delivery and then resell it.