Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone help me work through the FSD decision. I have driven a tesla for 5 years so am familiar with all the differences. I live in the Midwest suburbs. Given my use case, i can't see really taking advantage and benefitting from FSD. However, I am locked in at 10k. But if I plan on keeping the car for 3-4 years like I normally do, why wouldn't i just do an Enhanced Autopilot subscriptions for $99 now and if FSD continues to improve and be insanely awesome, just flip to 199. That blended rate of $99 for a year or two and then hypothetically switching to FSD at $199 (maybe it goes up to $250 down the road?) would be less than even my 10k purchase price. Seems like I should save the $10K... What am I missing? Does it transfer owners on a tesla trade in, so better resale value with a current $5k delta?

Can someone help me work through the FSD decision. I have driven a tesla for 5 years so am familiar with all the differences. I live in the Midwest suburbs. Given my use case, i can't see really taking advantage and benefitting from FSD. However, I am locked in at 10k. But if I plan on keeping the car for 3-4 years like I normally do, why wouldn't i just do an Enhanced Autopilot subscriptions for $99 now and if FSD continues to improve and be insanely awesome, just flip to 199. That blended rate of $99 for a year or two and then hypothetically switching to FSD at $199 (maybe it goes up to $250 down the road?) would be less than even my 10k purchase price. Seems like I should save the $10K... What am I missing? Does it transfer owners on a tesla trade in, so better resale value with a current $5k delta?
I think you answered your own question already: “Given my use case, i can't see really taking advantage and benefitting from FSD.” IMO, FSD shouldn’t be viewed from its monetary value. It’s a bad investment because you will not get your money back even at $10k. You may get some of the money back if you sell private party. But Tesla trade in will not value your FSD (I have never done this only based on what I read. Someone may correct me if I’m wrong). However, if you really like it and can take advantage of it at its current state, go for it. Otherwise, don’t buy it or just do a subscription where you can cancel at anytime. For my son, FSD is a must. I have driven his car and for me, it’s just OK and it’s not worth the price. So, I have never added FSD to my own car.

I think you answered your own question already: “Given my use case, i can't see really taking advantage and benefitting from FSD.” IMO, FSD shouldn’t be viewed from its monetary value. It’s a bad investment because you will not get your money back even at $10k. You may get some of the money back if you sell private party. But Tesla trade in will not value your FSD (I have never done this only based on what I read. Someone may correct me if I’m wrong). However, if you really like it and can take advantage of it at its current state, go for it. Otherwise, don’t buy it or just do a subscription where you can cancel at anytime. For my son, FSD is a must. I have driven his car and for me, it’s just OK and it’s not worth the price. So, I have never added FSD to my own car.
Thanks for the comments!

Bought FSD twice. $5K in 2019 for 2018 Model 3 traded to Tesla in 2021. $9K FSD for 2020 Model Y, sold to Driveway in March 2022. I did not see a significant added $ value when shopping around retail 3rd party buyers for FSD on both times.

I used FSD for what it has to offer during ownership of those 2 cars - a lot, logging in combined 130K miles. Used Nav on AP (auto lane change for the most part), not so much the other FSD features.

So in the end, it seems, I have nothing to show for $14K paid for FSD but maybe satisfaction in helping to train the neural net. 😆

Have since replaced those cars with other Tesla but without FSD this time around. I do FSD subs from time to time and am on FSD Beta too. I must say that I am happy with FSD subs, maybe even happier since I did not pay for $10K FSD and still have FSD whenever.

That is a decision only you can make. I paid 8K for it on my 2021 Model Y with no regrets. Also getting it for 10K on my soon to arrive Model X. I probably would not buy it for 15K, but who knows what the future subscription will cost? I'm sure it will increase. As I get older I have decided it is better to buy something you want, rather than saving a few dollars and later wishing you had. FSD wow factor is part of what makes a Tesla the ultimate car, in my opinion. As a Beta tester, I realize it has a ways to go for fully autonomous driving. But, it is already far ahead of anything I thought I would see in my lifetime!

I finally got FSD beta yesterday. Previously I never made the stringest safety score to get it.

Using it on city streets last night and today, I finally am able to appreciate it's potential for autonomous driving. It was making turns at 5 way intersections, handling obscure driving situations (bypassing stopped cars, two way traffic on a narrow roads) without any issues. If this is the infancy of it's capabilities I am impressed and can totally see it being fully functional very soon. And this is coming from someone who had bought FSD since 2019.

If you asked me this before yesterday I would say stick with the enhanced. But after yesterday, definitely keep the full FSD package.

Reactions: EV3_ and Kitt9000
Hi @pathetique ,

I checked my recent history...
I was in a 3 week EDD range for a few weeks...
Then it changed to a 1 week EDD range.

It was during the 1 week EDD that I received my VIN...

I took delivery 9/27/2022... I am very happy!

Hang in there!!!

Shawn
Thank you for your reply Shawn!

Looks like you took delivery a little bit before the 1 week EDD kicked in, I hope I take delivery this month!

Reactions: RC51 Tofuman
I have a model X allocation that is getting delivered next week at the lower grandfathered in price of 114k. White interior, grey exterior, normal wheels, and 6 seat interior. Does anyone want this allocation; I am not taking it - just got my plaid x - but figured someone should take advantage of this lower price. LMK happy to transfer it to someone's account.

Still available?

Reactions: tierneyalvin
I have a model X allocation that is getting delivered next week at the lower grandfathered in price of 114k. White interior, grey exterior, normal wheels, and 6 seat interior. Does anyone want this allocation; I am not taking it - just got my plaid x - but figured someone should take advantage of this lower price. LMK happy to transfer it to someone's account.

Still available?
How do you transfer your reservation to another account? I don’t think you can without the original reservation holder buying the car and then selling it to the next owner. But if you do it like that, it will trigger the sales tax and it will make the price difference with the current one very little or none. Besides, you need to wait until the title arrives before you can sell your car. It’s a lot more headache than you think. Unless there is another way that I don’t know about. But buying someone else car will get your car faster, especially for LR

Reactions: tierneyalvin
I got the following trade in text today. Does this mean I am close to delivery? I still dont have a VIN and my EDD is 10/15-11/19

Additionally, how can I just get a trade in quote for my vehcile? I have not yet decided if I want to trade in, but if the value is good I might just trade it in

Hi XYZ, you can trade in your current vehicle and apply the value to your upcoming Model X purchase. As a Washington resident, you may also be eligible for a trade-in sales tax credit.

To explore trading in your vehicle, submit your trade-in details in your Tesla Account.

ts.la/account
And my EDD got pushed back
Oct 5 - Nov 16
Oct 15 - Nov 19
Now Dec 1 - Jan 26

So much for the trade in text :(

MXLR, 7 seat, Red, Black interior, 22, EAP

Reactions: RC51 Tofuman