Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking and brake lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, the brake lights come on when I'm saying to the person behind me, "I'm stopping now" not when I am varying my speed due to smaller changes in traffic speed. I find the separate law for regen and manual transmissions to be hypocritical and would rather be able to turn that "feature" off, especially as it is NOT a legal requirement in Canada.

I hear you, but I think my preference is to err on the side of caution and have the brake lights come on anytime I'm slowing at a rate greater than a normal automatic transmission ICE car would when the driver is off the gas pedal. In other words, normal ICE car coasting, no brake lights... slowing at a rate any faster than that, then brake lights please. Right now, my Model S seems to do just that.

Coming from decades of manual transmissions, I can't stand the regen brake lights. If I want the driver behind me to know that I'm stopping, I can feather the brake, I don't need said driver to think that I'm braking when I'm just slowing gradually. A downshift and in some cases simply letting off the go pedal in a manual is more rapid stopping power than regen and I've never been rear ended in several million kms of driving. To me, the brake lights come on when I'm saying to the person behind me, "I'm stopping now" not when I am varying my speed due to smaller changes in traffic speed. I find the separate law for regen and manual transmissions to be hypocritical and would rather be able to turn that "feature" off, especially as it is NOT a legal requirement in Canada.

I can't stand the regen brake light either. It's way too sensitive.
While following a Model S and suddenly seeing the brake lights come on, I was about to slam on my brakes but then I noticed they were hardly slowing down.

Since then I noticed a couple of people following me either flash their high beams or raise their hands out of frustration when I barely let off the accelerator.

Since then I noticed a couple of people following me either flash their high beams or raise their hands out of frustration when I barely let off the accelerator.

Have Service look at it... might be a bad accelerometer. Just today, I was on the freeway with my re-gen limited to about 45 or 50 kW (max is 60 kW) due to the cold. I lifted of the accelerator going about 55 to 60 MPH and the car slowed about how an ICE would in the same circumstances and I noticed I had no brake lights on.