Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking limited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t understand with all the technology and automation possibilities that having the battery pre-heated by a certain time isn’t available yet. Shouldn’t really require any user fiddling or inputs. Not complaining, just hoping for this improvement. Never realized how great full regen is.

Is there any other way to get the car warmed up in the morning? I have been charging at night to about 70% When I get up, I set it to charge to 80% and turn the heat to 70 for about 35 minutes.
In Denver, left my car at the airport for three days. Today when I got back I warmed my car to 76 for about 30 min. Still had about 65% limited regen.

Temp was 41 or so outside.

Anyone know what the dots represent below the PRND? TIA

img_9351-jpg.356314

30 minutes of preheating the car to 80 degrees while still plugged in and no more limited regen. Better initial efficiency too.

Dan
Tried this today and it didn't work. How do you preheat the car? Is it just turning on the interior climate control? I did that to 80 and indeed the interior was 80 when I got in but still had the 10 dots regen restriction and its not even cold outside 58 F.

So....all we are trying to do is get the battery warm?

hmmmmm….let me see.…..

hmmmmm 80 degrees for a Half hour?

hmmmmm Oh yeah.... I have a P3D+

How about 0-60 in 3.3 seconds ( 3 times ). That should do it.

Lots more fun.

LOL.
Well, it would be nice but is doesn't work. I did 10 launches in my P3D and even drove it over 100 mph at several points and no, the regen restriction dots did not go away. Eventually after 20 min of driving they did but then I got the acceleration restriction dots on the right. You can't win with this car. Its always restricting you one way or another.

I don’t understand with all the technology and automation possibilities that having the battery pre-heated by a certain time isn’t available yet. Shouldn’t really require any user fiddling or inputs. Not complaining, just hoping for this improvement. Never realized how great full regen is.
Yes I am surprised too that we have to do this manually. This should be taken care of by automation.

Tried this today and it didn't work. How do you preheat the car? Is it just turning on the interior climate control? I did that to 80 and indeed the interior was 80 when I got in but still had the 10 dots regen restriction and its not even cold outside 58 F.
Well, I turn on the preheat from the app and give it 30 minutes to heat up. The cabin is way toasty but I never have a problem with limited regen. Not sure what the difference is. I always limit charging to 75% or about 230 miles.

Dan

Well, it would be nice but is doesn't work. I did 10 launches in my P3D and even drove it over 100 mph at several points and no, the regen restriction dots did not go away. Eventually after 20 min of driving they did but then I got the acceleration restriction dots on the right. You can't win with this car. Its always restricting you one way or another.

Arrgghhhh…. I thought that would work. Oh well....

Well, I turn on the preheat from the app and give it 30 minutes to heat up. The cabin is way toasty but I never have a problem with limited regen. Not sure what the difference is. I always limit charging to 75% or about 230 miles.

Dan
Maybe that’s the key, I need to dial my charge down more. I’ll have to test it out next week. Curious at this point if I can get it to work.

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
ACF9BC75-8CF3-43CD-B9BE-F91ADF1B5BF2.jpeg
I've noticed my regen is limited in colder weather, but I've never seen an actual message pop up. I just know it's limited from the ...... on the left side of the screen. Do you get a pop up message saying that your regen is limited?
A message will show. A little blurry but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 647A34D6-2960-4F34-AFA0-99C3B384001E.jpeg
    647A34D6-2960-4F34-AFA0-99C3B384001E.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: