Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen braking limited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regen will be limited when it's cold outside (even had it happen to us in 40-50F temp range). Also if you have charged to 100% and the energy can’t go into the battery. Usually driving around for 10 minutes or so will take care of it. Just be aware you’ll need to rely more on your regular brakes during that limited regen time and plan ahead for the stopping distance.

As to the tire pressure. It’s one of the swipe cards on the left side of your screen with the car.

IMG_9351.JPG

Last edited:
I get this message (sometimes) and it is clear that regen braking is not there every time I drive. My attempts to find the tire pressures has not worked. I am finding this VERY upsetting. Any ideas?

Both of those are covered here Model 3 Owner's Manual

Page 54 for regen and page 4 for the "cards" interface. Use the TPMS card as a backup and check tire pressures with a gauge rather than the screen.

I get this message (sometimes) and it is clear that regen braking is not there every time I drive. My attempts to find the tire pressures has not worked. I am finding this VERY upsetting. Any ideas?
I've noticed my regen is limited in colder weather, but I've never seen an actual message pop up. I just know it's limited from the ...... on the left side of the screen. Do you get a pop up message saying that your regen is limited?

I charged my car for the first time to 90% the other day and had limited regen for quite a while. It wasn't really cold outside, maybe 65 degrees so I figured it was due to the higher SOC. I will say due to the M3 regen being so strong even at limited it feels like an S or X to me. When I get back into my X, I feel like there is no regen.

I charged my car for the first time to 90% the other day and had limited regen for quite a while. It wasn't really cold outside, maybe 65 degrees so I figured it was due to the higher SOC. I will say due to the M3 regen being so strong even at limited it feels like an S or X to me. When I get back into my X, I feel like there is no regen.
If the SOC is too high, that'll limit regen as well.

It was 27 degrees here in Atlanta this morning (yes, really it was...I'm not joking). 30 minutes on 80 degrees while plugged in...no limited regen.

Dan
80 degrees?! :eek:

I didn't think that heating the cabin somehow heated the battery.

Anywhoo…..I would rather have range over regen.
Sure, heating the cabin will draw energy from the battery causing it to warm - it takes a while but it does work. Also, he did say he did it while plugged in so, in theory, he wouldn't lose any range as it would just get replaced from the outlet.

I've noticed my regen is limited in colder weather, but I've never seen an actual message pop up. I just know it's limited from the ...... on the left side of the screen. Do you get a pop up message saying that your regen is limited?

I get the message as soon as I sit in the drivers seat with the car cold. I didn't know you could swipe it to the left because it doesn't stay on the screen long enough for me to swipe it.

80 degrees?! :eek:

Sure, heating the cabin will draw energy from the battery causing it to warm - it takes a while but it does work. Also, he did say he did it while plugged in so, in theory, he wouldn't lose any range as it would just get replaced from the outlet.
Yup...80 degrees for 30 minutes. Works every time. Once I get in the car I usually turn the climate power off until the interior temperature comes back to a more comfortable (for me anyway) 68 or so and then just set the climate control to about 70 and turn it on auto.

Dan

Yup...80 degrees for 30 minutes. Works every time. Once I get in the car I usually turn the climate power off until the interior temperature comes back to a more comfortable (for me anyway) 68 or so and then just set the climate control to about 70 and turn it on auto.

Dan

So....all we are trying to do is get the battery warm?

hmmmmm….let me see.…..

hmmmmm 80 degrees for a Half hour?

hmmmmm Oh yeah.... I have a P3D+

How about 0-60 in 3.3 seconds ( 3 times ). That should do it.

Lots more fun.

LOL.