Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

regen/charging efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tom Saxton is still one of my heroes, even if he did have a few moments of brain fade.

The bright guy in this one is Smorgasbord, because he figured out a clever way to approximate regen efficiency, using approximate symmetries to reduce inaccuracy. I was just trying to help with the calculations, because his result didn’t match expectations. This analysis turned out to be quite tricky.

The potential energy from altitude, the 7.7 energy units, becomes zero at the bottom of the hill. Where did it go? 3.3 units were used up by pushing the car (using gravity) downhill against wind and rolling resistance. The remaining 4.4 energy units were used up by powering the regen, which dumped only 3.0 units into the battery. If you divide those numbers, which I provided, the result is 68%.

Kudos to both Smorgasbord and Bud for making progress on this calculation, and my apologies for not acknowledging their fine work before launching into my take on it. I agree, the analysis is quite tricky, and I fell victim to a brain cramp. It's good to know I haven't lost all credibility as a result. :smile:

I also agree that Smorgasbord had a great idea for collecting data. Smorgasbord's calculation gives the energy penalty for climbing a given hill at a given speed.

Bud's method calculates one-way regen efficiency correctly, whereas my "correction" to his method does not. I've edited my post to call out this error. To be clear, Bud's method computes the wheel-to-battery drivetrain efficiency during regen, estimated at 80% in the Tesla blog, not the roundtrip number given as 64%.

There are three issues with this that are affecting the accuracy of this calculation.

First: the assumption that driving one mile on level ground uses one ideal mile depends on the speed travelled. The data we have from the two Roadster distance records suggest that in the range of 25 to 35 mph, we would expect to drive between 1.28 and 1.42 miles per ideal mile.

If we adjust for this by assuming 1.35 miles per ideal, Bud's result changes from 68% to 49%.

In general, this can be improved by driving at the same speed and equivalent driving conditions and computing the energy use per mile. But, before we do that...

Second: the ideal miles number is rounded to the nearest integer. 11 represents some number between 10.5 and 11.5, so doing 11 - 7.7 = 3.3 is misleading and overstates the accuracy of the measurement. Likewise for the 3 ideal miles gain going downhill.

If I take the best and worst cases for the ranges of these two numbers, I get a range between 38% and 62%. That's a huge range!

See this spreadsheet for the calculation details.

There's a reason why ideal miles are rounded to the nearest mile: they are a rough approximation. Further, they don't tell us how much energy we've used, but rather how much energy is left in the battery pack. The amount of energy you get out of the pack depends on how you drive (the harder you push the go pedal, the more the pack voltage sags, yielding less energy per amp-hour). Therefore starting energy minus energy used is not always equal to energy left. (We know this is tricky to get right and that the IM reading often changes after the 10-minute settling period following any drive or charge session.)

Smorgasbord proposed a better method that solves this whole issue: use the trip meter energy reading. That reading tells you net energy out of the battery pack in much higher resolution than the IM reading. It goes up when you're using energy and goes down when you are regenerating energy. That's really the number we want. It's also the number we need for the equivalent level drive energy.

Third: Knowing the extra energy used to climb the hill doesn't tell us the potential energy we gained. Because the drivetrain isn't 100% efficient, we'll be spending more energy than the potential energy we gain.

The good news is that we can calculate this number directly from the mass of the car and the change in elevation: mass * height * gravity = potential energy.

So, clearly we can do this. We just need a hill big enough that rounding effects won't play a significant role in the calculations, and with driving conditions that can be replicated on a flat road. I have accumulated a ridiculous amount of data from our Roadster. I'll poke around at what I have to see if I've got a data set that will work well for this problem.

That's 2007 information - very preliminary, I would think. Is the battery-to-motor efficiency really 80%? I thought it was higher than that.

I thought I read 93% somewhere recently, although I can't find it now and don't think it was a recent result, more likely something I found digging through the archives.

Some of Tesla's data is awesome. Some of it, not so much. For example, their page on well-to-wheel efficiency claims the Roadster only needs 110 watt-hours, battery-to-wheel, per mile, a number that by my experience overstates the Roadster's efficiency by a factor of two. If that were true, the Roadster's range would be nearly 500 miles, which exceeds even the best range number (at 18 mph) on the range and efficiency blog.

The 110 number came from an October 2006 white paper "The 21st Century Electric Car" by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning. Tesla has long since withdrawn that document with the promise of an update, but still promotes this very preliminary number on their freshly updated web page.

We've a hill we can drive @ 40mph both ways. About 500 ft elevation. I'll drive that and get the kwh spent (using m/kwh from Leaf dash). Then compare that with a round trip on flat road @ 40 mph, same distance. I can then compare and get a good estimate for regen efficiency.

Tom can do the same on Roadster (and Rav4 EV) - though I don't know whether you can get required stats for calculation. BTW, Tom, I'm talking about 43rd st to Eastlake.

Is mi/kWh hour to the nearest tenth the best you can get? Does Carwings show kWh, perhaps with better resolution? (The Roadster shows kWh to three significant digits.)

I'd love to get some LEAF data I can compare to Roadster data. For example, along I-90, exit 17 to exit 25 at 60 mph on cruise control, in moderate dry weather, then again for the reverse direction. Likewise some good solid distance on I-5 at 60 mph on cruise control, at least 10 miles one-way, with numbers for out and back. Also knowing battery SOC % (available only through Carwings) at the start and end of each trip segment would be very helpful.

We postponed our LEAF order so we could get the cold weather package. It's worth the wait, but I'm sad I can't be doing these measurements myself.

Is mi/kWh hour to the nearest tenth the best you can get? Does Carwings show kWh, perhaps with better resolution? (The Roadster shows kWh to three significant digits.)
Yes, nearest tenth is the best we can get. Once the CAN hacking is complete, we should get better numbers ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - LEAF CANbus decoding. (Open discussion)

BTW, the CarWings data is wrong - it is highly exaggerated. Nissan has acknowledged the problem, but is yet to fix it. Anyway, the SOC % is given in just 12 steps, to coincide with the number of SOC "bars" that are lit. Useless for our purposes.

A few weeks ago I posted about a guy that recharged his Leaf by spinning the wheels and using the regen instead of plugging in. See It's the Batteries, Stupid! . I thought this might be a creative alternate approach to plugging in (while driving long distances). Given your expertise on the topic of regen, do you guys have any thoughts on this?

BTW, the CarWings data is wrong - it is highly exaggerated. Nissan has acknowledged the problem, but is yet to fix it. Anyway, the SOC % is given in just 12 steps, to coincide with the number of SOC "bars" that are lit. Useless for our purposes.

That's exceedingly lame! Thanks for the link to the CAN hacking thread on MNL. I didn't read all 18 pages of posts, but this post showing an LED screen with the SOC % to the 0.1% resolution sure looks promising!

I did a better controlled run down and up today on my hill, with a passenger to note times and display screen readings. We reset the trip counter at the start of each run. I also have the .csv files from the Tesla Graphical Log parser if anyone's interested.

The most astounding tidbit was that climbing 1565' over a distance of 3.3miles at 15-20mph consumes an average of 888 Wh/mi. That's more Wh/mi than if I were speeding down the freeway at 125 mph! (see Tesla Blog on Roadster Efficiency and Range. The total consumption was 2.84 kWh. I'll have to see how quickly I can safely go up the hill one day.

Going down I gained 333 Wh/mi (negative number), for a total gain of 1.06 kWh. The average of the two is about 278Wh/mi [math corrected], which is a pretty high drain for going about 20mph. But, you do get back 333kWh going down for what cost you 888kWh going up, which is about 37%.

Last edited:
OK, it's not too late nor early. Let's see if I can make some progress. :wink:

If we assume JB Straubel's blog post on Efficiency and Range is accurate for my car (2011 vs 2008), on a flat road at 20-25mph I should be consuming about 150Wh/mi. Instead I consumed 888 Wh/mi going up and -333 Wh/mi going down.

If 150 Wh/mi is the horizontal road consumption value, then it took an "extra" 738 Wh/mi (888-150) to go up, and I got "back" only 483 Wh/mi (333+150) going down. The difference between them (738-483) is 255 Wh/mi that was "lost." The percentage lost is then 255/738, or 35%, meaning regen recaptured about 65% of the energy spent going up.

Corrections, etc. welcome.

Your math seems great. I do notice that 2.84 kWh divided by 3.3 miles is 860 Wh/mi, not 888. Presumably, the distance is a little different than 3.3 miles. If the distance were 3.19 miles, they would work out close to the same.

I like working with kWh instead of Wh per mile, which makes it easier to generalize to other climbs. Driving 3.3 miles at 150 Wh/mi gives 495 Wh for the trip on flat roads at 30 mph. You used an extra 2345 Wh on the way up and picked 1210 on the way down. That's an extra 1508 Wh per 1,000 feet of elevation gain, and a gain of 773 Wh per 1,000 feet on the way down. Assuming 230 Wh per ideal mile, that's 6.5 ideal miles lost per 1,000 feet of elevation gain, and 3.4 ideal miles for each 1,000 feet of elevation drop.

That's pretty close to the rule of thumb I've been using based on measurements Cathy and I have made: 7 IM/1000 feet lost going up and 3.5 IM/1000 gained on the way down.

That's pretty close to the rule of thumb I've been using based on measurements Cathy and I have made: 7 IM/1000 feet lost going up and 3.5 IM/1000 gained on the way down.

That makes sense, but looking at it that way, regen is only 50% efficient, not 5%. Guess with the variations in my climb/descending speeds/paths, etc. it's about as good as this method can get.

This got me thinking, though: I'm sure a number of people have done the Grapevine via I5 in a Roadster. That's an elevation change from 1500' to about 4150', or 2650'. That's not as much change as climbing the Mt. Hamilton Road, but it's a lot steeper and straighter. I'd be curious if any Roadster owners who have done it have information about how their Range changed either going up or down the road. Is it so steep that brakes are needed, or is regen enough to keep the speed in check?