Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Problems due to Aftermarket Wheels (20’)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I recently put 20’ Vorsteiner VFF 103s on my RWD Model 3.

After doing so I lost Battery Regen over 20ish MPH

Has anyone heard of problems occurring with their regen due to oversized wheel diameter?

upload_2018-8-24_10-19-26.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: verystandard
I'm shocked that the car even has enough torque to move with wheels that large. They must weigh 3 tons each!

These wheels are very, very light so I can't imagine the weight is contributing to any regen issues. I know the 19" x 9.5" and 19" x 10.5" are approx. 22.4 lbs and 22.8 lbs respectively.

For context, the Tesla 18" x 8.5" Aeros are 21.6 lbs without covers, the Tesla 19" x 8.5" Sports are 25.0 lbs, and the Tesla 20" x 8.5" Sports are speculated to be over 30 lbs.

The fixation on rim diameter on this whole forum is misplaced. The usual talk of efficiency changes is due to aerodynamics and tires, the sometimes talked about reset is mostly about proper TPMS setting, maybe some speedometer component if the OEM offerings have a TIRE diameter change.

For something like a Regen issue after tire swap I would make sure the tires are all the same size. Places have been known to screw up and mix sizes. A tire being a different size could confuse the car when the ABS sees differing rpm at the tires.

On the rim weight vs Regen, I assure you rim weight is totally meaningless when compared to the load the 4000lbs car and any slope to the road may create.

I had a similar thing happen this past week after having the OEM 18" wheels/tires rotated. It only lasted one drive, though. Upon driving away from the tire store I had no regen until the speed dropped down to +/-20 mph. When I got home I did a reset of the car and then the next time I drove it it was fine and worked normally again.