TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Regen Problems due to Aftermarket Wheels (20’)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Duran, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Duran

Duran New Member

Hello All,

I recently put 20’ Vorsteiner VFF 103s on my RWD Model 3.

After doing so I lost Battery Regen over 20ish MPH

Has anyone heard of problems occurring with their regen due to oversized wheel diameter?

upload_2018-8-24_10-19-26.jpeg

2. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Your car prompted you about noticing a new wheel/tire size right? When we switched the OEM 18 aeros for the OEM 19 the car was reprogrammed because of TPMS sensor changes and then about 3-5 miles later it said it noticed a new wheel size and wanted me to confirm...

• Like x 1
  3. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

I'm shocked that the car even has enough torque to move with wheels that large. They must weigh 3 tons each!

• Funny x 2
  4. remlemasi

remlemasi Member

These wheels are very, very light so I can't imagine the weight is contributing to any regen issues. I know the 19" x 9.5" and 19" x 10.5" are approx. 22.4 lbs and 22.8 lbs respectively.

For context, the Tesla 18" x 8.5" Aeros are 21.6 lbs without covers, the Tesla 19" x 8.5" Sports are 25.0 lbs, and the Tesla 20" x 8.5" Sports are speculated to be over 30 lbs.

5. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Maybe it is not the wheels. If you have charged up to 100% regen also goes away until you have some reserve battery storage.

6. Josh@GYW

So far, all of my customers with the 20" wheel packages have had no issues so it may be what @Uncle Paul said.

• Like x 1
  7. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Yeah do you remember what your battery percentage was at?