Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking pulsating and acceleration flat spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I got new rear tires mounted on my 2023 MYP today - 295x40x21. The moment I left Discount Tire I noticed the regenerative braking was pulsating, and if I accelerated immediately after regenerative braking, there was a flat spot in acceleration. Also, I’ve noticed a loss of power under acceleration at various times.

I have not seen anyone experience this from the plus size tires in all the comments about this size tire, so I don’t think it has anything to do w tire size.

I still do have the stock 255x35x21’s on front. Could the problem be the difference in diameter between front and back wheels?

I held both buttons in the steering wheel, to reboot thinking this may help, but this did not help.

Thoughts anyone???

Last edited:
When changing tires you're supposed to tell the car. There's an option in the menu. However, if you wrote the correct dimensions here, you have a bizarre setup that has a huge diameter difference. I wouldn't be surprised if this caused problems :
1710507413935.png

8% difference is huge. For comparison the stock dimensions (from what I found on the web) are within 2%:
1710507508513.png

I think you have the wrong dimension in the back...

Hi! I got new rear tires mounted on my 2023 MYP today - 295x40x21. The moment I left Discount Tire I noticed the regenerative braking was pulsating, and if I accelerated immediately after regenerative braking, there was a flat spot in acceleration. Also, I’ve noticed a loss of power under acceleration at various times.

I have not seen anyone experience this from the plus size tires in all the comments about this size tire, so I don’t think it has anything to do w tire size.

I still do have the stock 255x35x21’s on front. Could the problem be the difference in diameter between front and back wheels?

I held both buttons in the steering wheel, to reboot thinking this may help, but this did not help.

Thoughts anyone???
Thank you for your business. We do apologize for your current experience after being serviced. Please let us know if you are able to resolve the issue through the reset menu.

Definitely the tire size causing the problem, not so much the larger tires alone, it's the fact you have smaller diameter tires in the front vs the rear. Speed sensors are confused by the different speed data.. ABS and traction control is most likely the pulsating you are feeling.