Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative break warning sign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a slow outlet in my garage is there any harm to use extension cord to charge the car or just potential harm to power supply outlet and home? i wasn’t sure if tesla warning to avoid extension cord was for benefit of car hardware and/or software OR meant as precaution to power supply ? thx.

I have a slow outlet in my garage is there any harm to use extension cord to charge the car or just potential harm to power supply outlet and home? i wasn’t sure if tesla warning to avoid extension cord was for benefit of car hardware and/or software OR meant as precaution to power supply ? thx.

The only thing a home system can do to damage the car is voltage spikes - which have nothing to do with extension cords and aren't a common problem.

The recommendation against extension cords is because many extension cords have a poor pinch for the contacts on the plug side, which leads to higher resistance - which can lead to overheating and melting and fires and stuff. Extension cords also come in lots of sizes, and it'd be fairly easy for someone to plug in a light duty one they have handy that's not rated for 12 amp continuous loads.

Tesla is safer than other EVs - the car watches the voltage for a bit after plugging in to get a no load baseline, then loads the line up to charge, and watches the voltage drop. If the car decides the drop is excessive, it will reduce the charging current to reduce the fire risk, and provide alerts that it is doing so on the screen and app and I believe as a push notification as well.

The extension cord I keep in my car kit is an industrial grade 5-20 cord, with the 5-20/5-15 combo end and a 5-15>5-20 adapter - wires thus overrated for normal 120 outlets (and allowing me to use the 5-20 EVSE end if I do find one of those outlets.)

thx. battery was full but the limit set is 90% so you mean full according to my set limit correct?
This has actually happened to me a few times when the battery was not full. First 2 times it happened in the morning when the car was cold, then it happened once after I had been driving for 30 minutes. Did a soft reset and doesn't seem to have happened since then.

If it's not because of battery, its possible it could just be a "turn-it-off-and-on-again" bug.

This has actually happened to me a few times when the battery was not full. First 2 times it happened in the morning when the car was cold, then it happened once after I had been driving for 30 minutes. Did a soft reset and doesn't seem to have happened since then.

If it's not because of battery, its possible it could just be a "turn-it-off-and-on-again" bug.

Normal behaviour for a cold battery. Charging at low temperatures is hard on the pack, so Tesla restricts regen when the pack is cold.

thx. battery was full but the limit set is 90% so you mean full according to my set limit correct?

No, not full for your set limit. If you set your limit to 70% and left the house you would not have limited regen because you were at 70%. As others have said, it's usually the cold or being above a certain %. I charge to 90% and have only noticed the limited regen on colder mornings. My car is garaged, so as long as I start with the car at around 70 degrees Fahrenheit I don't get the limited regen. But if the garage is cold and the car is under 70 then I notice it.

I'm seeing consistently lower for an SR+ at about 77%. We started setting our limit to 80% to try and maximize regen, and even on sunny 80 degree days the regen dots don't fully go away until after 77%.

However, with just a few dots it won't necessarily give the regen limited message. I assume @Petrlol was talking about when the warning appears.

how safe is it to reset the computer on regular basis?

Reactions: davidu406
how safe is it to reset the computer on regular basis?

It’s fine to reboot whenever needed, but since you charged to 90%, if it was below or even near 60 degrees where you are at, and the car was cold-soaked to that temperature, you would expect to see this message, along with a lot of dots on the left hand side of the regen/power bar. It’s totally normal.

Park your car in an attached garage if you want to reduce the occurrence rate. Summer is coming though so should be fine until fall.

It’s fine to reboot whenever needed, but since you charged to 90%, if it was below or even near 60 degrees where you are at, and the car was cold-soaked to that temperature, you would expect to see this message, along with a lot of dots on the left hand side of the regen/power bar. It’s totally normal.

Park your car in an attached garage if you want to reduce the occurrence rate. Summer is coming though so should be fine until fall.

Interesting. That’s where I park mine.

Interesting. That’s where I park mine.

Well, you are in Denver, where it has been snowing. My inefficient central furnace vents about 10% of the heat into my garage in California so it tends to stay above 65 degrees in there. And at this time of the year it is well on the way to 80 degrees, in spite of our "cold" weather, as it is south facing.

If you want to not have limited regen as often, charge to 70 or 75%. You'll still get it when the pack is very cold; you can't charge a frozen pack; it will damage it permanently. Tesla manages this all for you, of course, you don't have to worry about it. Just use the brakes if you must. Even with the message, you still get quite a lot of regen unless it is very cold (and all you have is dots).

Last edited: