Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative breaking Model 3 vs Chevy Volt Gen 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings everyone!

This is my first post and I am looking for some comparison between regenerative breaking on the RWD Model 3 and Chevy Volt Gen 1 cars. Have been driving a Volt for almost 6 years and waiting on a Mid Range RWD that I ordered the day after it was unveiled. Very used to driving in L on the Volt which gives a good amount of stopping power, almost one pedal driving for my commute. Hoping for same or stronger regenerative breaking on the Model 3. When you let go of the gas Volt does not come to a complete stop like the i3 which I understand is the same with M3 but this is not something I necessarily want (but will take as a possible toggle switch).

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

When I still had my 2012 Volt and I would drive it in L after the Model 3, the regen felt far, far less than the Model 3 and that was before I got the 42.2 update. With the update, regen is increased even more, but it's not a huge difference.

Thanks for the information. Glad to hear at least as much regen will be available on the M3 as the old Volt.

And sorry for the silly mistake braking vs breaking. Either auto-correct on the phone or my non-native English kicked in. Either way, it reads funny this way.

Greetings everyone!

This is my first post and I am looking for some comparison between regenerative breaking on the RWD Model 3 and Chevy Volt Gen 1 cars. Have been driving a Volt for almost 6 years and waiting on a Mid Range RWD that I ordered the day after it was unveiled. Very used to driving in L on the Volt which gives a good amount of stopping power, almost one pedal driving for my commute. Hoping for same or stronger regenerative breaking on the Model 3. When you let go of the gas Volt does not come to a complete stop like the i3 which I understand is the same with M3 but this is not something I necessarily want (but will take as a possible toggle switch).

The awd 3 has stronger Regen than the gen one volt, but i did like the ability to shift between low and high easily for greater efficiency off / okok highway. However efficiency is less of an issue where you're not playing the see how far i can go until the engine turns on game. Hope this helps!

The 3s Regen is another and more predictable. I did like the Regen paddle on the bolt i test drive though!

Sorry no experience with rwd but if image it's similar.

Greetings everyone!

Assuming that you have full regenerative braking (i.e., it's not cold) it is certainly enough to slow you down very quickly if you lift off entirely, probably more quickly than you'd normally brake in an ICE car, and so covers a good variety of situations. As long as you're not tail-gating or one of those people who brakes at the last moment, you barely have to touch the actual brake pedal in normal driving until you're down to 5 or 6mph and then it's just to apply the stop/hold.

I have my regen set to standard and 'creep' set to off.

**edit - I'm in a P3D+ which has AWD regen, apologies I should have stated that at the start

Glad to read that everyone agrees M3 regenerates more. Based on my not very careful observations, the Volt seems to max at ~60kW when slowing down in L with some manual braking. Does the M3 display similarly its rate of regen on the screen and of so, what is the max you ha ve seen?