Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registering your car in PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Just a heads up for PA folk who have to deal with our states genius notary system. Before trudging out for fun times, remember that you'll need:

• Driver's License
  • Insurance paperwork showing the car is covered
  • Proof of VIN (below)
  • Check for sales taxes

All of this is pretty standard, but for the proof of VIN, the car must be present or you must have an etching of the VIN (or a certified something from the dealer, but Tesla isn't a dealer, so forget that). This is important for anyone who is sent their bill of sale ahead of time for the purposes of registering your car before it arrives. Unless Tesla sends you a VIN etching, it's not going to happen (I tried).

Also, Tesla (in my case) needs something notarized and sent back to them. Most places will do it there for you, so that should save you an extra step.

Lastly, my accountant tells me that there's still some PA rebates to be claimed, so hustle!

I was under the impression that electric cars were exempt from sales tax in PA. I guess not??

Plus, I would love to get the PA rebate ($3,500!!), but right now I am depending on Tesla to "hustle" my car out to me. No email from them yet, but I was told I should get mine by the end of January.

I am number P2459 without any of the options that seem to be slowing up orders, so hopefully I will get mine before the last 96 rebates (as of Dec. 3rd) are gone. Here is the link to see how many $3,500 rebates are left in PA:

Alternative Fuel Vehicles