Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registration number before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading some stories of registration numbers not being issued until the day before (or later) delivery/collection but most of those were from 2019 so I'm not sure if it's different/better now the cars come from China.

I'm financing mine with PCP via my bank (better rate than Tesla) and for them to release the funds, they need the bank details for payment and the registration number. What's the chances of Tesla giving me a registration plate in a reasonable amount of time? Worth a phone call nearer the time?

I was reading some stories of registration numbers not being issued until the day before (or later) delivery/collection but most of those were from 2019 so I'm not sure if it's different/better now the cars come from China.

I'm financing mine with PCP via my bank (better rate than Tesla) and for them to release the funds, they need the bank details for payment and the registration number. What's the chances of Tesla giving me a registration plate in a reasonable amount of time? Worth a phone call nearer the time?
I asked them last week about my registration number with me hopefully picking mine up on the 18th (Tesla Lease) and they replied the next day with it 2 weeks in advance so maybe worth a call. I needed it for my insurance which is all set up now. Just need Tesla to sort out my trade in and final invoice hopefully soon.

Got mine two weeks before (so did many others) during June and mine was correct (most were).

Reactions: sparkymark75

After getting my registration number, I ended up in a chicken and egg situation. The banks online system obviously didn’t recognise the registration number as Tesla don’t register it with the DVLA until you collect the car. My bank don’t release the funds until they have the registration number!

I called the bank and the guy I spoke to seemed to be aware of this and told me to phone nearer delivery day and give them the VIN and reg and he’ll override the system. More stress!

My invoice has the VIN but no registration number.

Not sure then!! This is the document I was talking about.

Reg Number.JPG

Just in case anyone else finds this thread while searching. I called Tesla today (23rd August) and they were able to tell me my registration number was assigned on the 22nd August (16 days before collection) and what it was.
Great shout! Just got my registration via the chat. They sent it through via text along with my vin. Delivery date 11th sept. Feels a bit more real now 😁

Reactions: NJR46