Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registration question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sorry for posting something generic -

Picked up the model 3 on Saturday April 6 in Pittsburgh. I am aware that the title takes a few days to arrive in the mail.

However, we are leaving Pennsylvania for good and moving to the west coast starting April 27 (driving the Tesla there). I do have a temporary registration and PA plate on good for 90 days.

Question - how do I handle the situation if a) we already left and the title isn’t with us? Should we tell Tesla to ship it to our new address right away?

B) If we do get the title when we reach our destination - is it okay to register the car there even if it was bought in PA?

Wouldn't Tesla be sending you a Certificate of Origin and not a title?

Depends on the state - some states Tesla takes care of registration/title just like any Dealer would. Other states, Tesla isn't allowed to sell in so you get a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin and are responsible for taking care of all that yourself (Louisiana is one of those states where I have to take care of everything myself).

Not sure where Pennsylvania fits...

Depends on the state - some states Tesla takes care of registration/title just like any Dealer would. Other states, Tesla isn't allowed to sell in so you get a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin and are responsible for taking care of all that yourself (Louisiana is one of those states where I have to take care of everything myself).

Not sure where Pennsylvania fits...

Just called the Tesla store. They said that they’ll be sending me the final registration. State will send me the title.

Unfortunately I may not be here by the time it’s received. I’m going to put forward requests and let the next owner of this house know that they might get it.

Once I get those two things in my designation state (NV), in my hand, I’ll have to register the car there directly after getting the license.