Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regular Production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
Now I know that there's the thing with the costly drivetrain upgrades and supply chain logistics as well as the whole "Right First Time" mantra etc etc, but there is a more important issue.

One of the key purposes of the Roadster is to provide real world data for Whitestar development. Many of the Signature 100 customers are keen and knowledgable EV enthusiasts - an ideal cohort to act as first customers. I'm sure that there are many who are itching to provide high quality feedback and valuable insights through the Roadster owners blog. Dr Rob Wilder for one.

Tesla seem to be focussed on customers-have-expectations-which-MUST-be-met and have gotten away from the idea that your customers are ALSO one of your largest assets.

But then, I think Elon's preferred term for customer is "VIP" rather than "Enthusiast"

Tesla Motors - feel

So... you're suggesting that Tesla is pursuing WhiteStar too early, without waiting for real-world data from Tesla owners?

Apart from the electric drive, I don't think the two cars would have enough in common for much correlation to be made, and electric drive isn't exactly a new technology, either...

-Ryan

So... you're suggesting that Tesla is pursuing WhiteStar too early, without waiting for real-world data from Tesla owners?

No no. I can't wait. Bring on the models and the concept sketches!

But I'm not a fan of the E-REV Whitestar. I'm worried that if/when they adapt the ESS and PEM to "behave" with an ICE+generator then their impetus and market lead in pure BEV technology will be compromised - it will be easier to rake in the money selling Generator-friendly ESSs rather than pushing the BEV envelope.

I think real-world data from Tesla owners will do much to remind the teams at Tesla what a world-beating piece of technology they have created and maybe - just maybe - cause a re-think on the Whitestar drivetrain.

Cos last minute drivetrain changes is a Tesla specialty :biggrin:

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so worried :)

If there are no delays, the WhiteStar is still 2 years away. By then, Tesla could have over 1000 roadsters delivered. That will put ample "real-world data" into Tesla's hands.

Besides, I don't see why pursuing E-REV technology would compromise Tesla's BEV expertise. It is possible to be good at two things at once.

I see the E-REV thing as Tesla's effort to crawl out of its niche and become a mainstream player. EV enthusiasts (like the ones here and at AutoblogGreen) will generally opt for the BEV version of WhiteStar, but mainstream consumers will 9-times-out-of-10 go for the range-extended version.

Both versions will drastically cut pollution and oil-dependence, so no complaints from me :)

-Ryan