Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Forum - Confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I largely agree with the OP, my experience of other brands have not been exemplary to the level popular opinion would suggest and nothing I have read on these forums suggests that the common faults of Tesla’s are not also common to many other cars.

I have had soft paint on a merc bonnet and different textures of paint on plastic, steel and aluminium surfaces on the same car, and in common parlance for this forum it was “within specification”.

My personal opinion is that the Model 3 is a (relatively) cheap car for a BEV with the technical specification it has, if you really want a technical equivalent to a M3P you need a Taycan Turbo with lots of packs on it, yes it has more appeal arguably and higher quality (although I concur with OP comments regarding Porsche which will still apply here) but it’s literally double the money. The lesser Audi equivalent is still a 60% uplift, as is any ICE car like a C63 or M4 which are the LR / M3P real competition. The vast majority of BEV’s are 20% cheaper for significantly less specification and many don’t offer the benefits of a dedicated electric platform yet.

Recent videos of newly delivered MIC M3Ps to Australia shows equal panel gaps which look perfectly fine to me, even the boot lids appear to be flush to the roof rails now so all is good. The new interior particularly with the MIC door cards is a quality place to be, I expected to hate it as I had heard bad things and I just didn’t, in fact quite the opposite.

The association of the company with its CEO is a bit of an annoyance as it the whole fanboy aspect. I think most people are more negative than normal specifically because someone who defends the product could be branded as such.

With particular regards to the forum I find it a friendly and helpful place. Yes there is some negativity but the level of info is great when you dig a little deeper. I also feel @Mr Miserable is worth a particular mention here as I have not seen anyone equally as dedicated on any other forum I have visited.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Tinca
On the whole forum subject. I'd be curious to know if most of you regulatory contributed to forums related to your previous non Tesla cars.

I never did, treated cars more like a white goods.

I found the fundamental differences in the Tesla experience from purchase, to service centres and day to day use have just fascinated me and prompted me to seek out suitable forum just to understand other people's experiences.

P.S. Yes I have had a number of minor issues with my car but nothing too annoying and they got resolved.

Long live this active community 😁

Reactions: Tinca and Dunstan
On the whole forum subject. I'd be curious to know if most of you regulatory contributed to forums related to your previous non Tesla cars.

I never did, treated cars more like a white goods.

I found the fundamental differences in the Tesla experience from purchase, to service centres and day to day use have just fascinated me and prompted me to seek out suitable forum just to understand other people's experiences.

P.S. Yes I have had a number of minor issues with my car but nothing too annoying and they got resolved.

Long live this active community 😁

I am guilty of being a member of every forum/club for each car I’ve owned, from Toyota’s, to Lotus to BMW etc.

@tomorrowman - Yes I have always been an active member on all car forums I've joined - I don't post for the sake of it - like sending pictures of my daily breakfast but I am a car nut - a petrol head that's suddenly got a BEV. I'm also an absolute detail freak - I adore cleaning cars and keeping them in a condition better than new and usually spend more in "care" products than the monthly fuel bill.

I enjoy the banter on forums and I'm quite thick skinned (or probably just thick)- I don't get offended and I know my weaknesses - like not being able to keep my mouth shut or shy away from saying what I think, I'm not very PC either but always respect others points of view and I never deliberately set out to offend anyone.

I remain an active member in a couple of forums (Jaguar and Porsche) even though its been quite a few years since i had a Jaguar or Porsche, I find forums a source of joy, amusement and indeed technical info and the humour and camaraderie is super.

Reactions: Jez_GB
The TVR section of Pistonheads was very negative 10-20 years ago, every other thread was something breaking, destroying itself or falling off - have a read of any recent Mclaren forum and it's exactly the same, just with an extra zero on every repair cost.
The owners are the development team and it's similar with Tesla.
Tesla don't have the car building experience that Audi or Lexus do, and it's very clear when you compare brands build quality, but they're learning fast, and in the EV world they are still far and away the outright leaders when you take into account the network, battery range, tech - where else can you get software updates on a car without paying hundreds of pounds for a day in a garage hooked up to a computer for hours? The superchargers and journey planning just bloody work - when you've tried other EVs the Tesla is on another level.
Build is a bit crap, but overall they're an impressive experience. Any car-specific forum is generally quite negative - no different here - and the advice and knowledge is well worth it.

Build is a bit crap, but overall they're an impressive experience. Any car-specific forum is generally quite negative - no different here - and the advice and knowledge is well worth it.
Overall the car is an impressive bit of kit
Agreed, the advice and knowledge on the forum is superb.
The attitude from Tesla regarding customer service and (lack of) communication is diametrically opposed and far from impressive

Reactions: Jez_GB
@eight , Spot on fellow. The over the air updates are a real benefit - every single main dealer with an ICE vehicle charge stupid prices just to put an OBD reader into a socket to read fault codes - a job that takes less than a minute and even if you read the codes yourself and tell them - they don't accept that and still insist on them reading the codes for which they charge - well Ford do - £75.