Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected Delivery VINs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too am curious as to what Tesla will do with cars that were rejected for delivery due to defects. Of course, it's very likely they'll just take them back, fix them, and re-issue them to someone else. I wanted to start a thread so those of you who rejected deliveries could post up the VINs of those cars so other people who have yet to take delivery can keep an eye out.

I think that would be pretty unethical and not fair to the new owner as if someone googled that VIN it could lower the value of their car.

The thing is.. each person is different and unique. Everyone should just follow the delivery checklist and make their own judgement on if the car is acceptable to them or not. It's not like these are getting rejected for mechanical issues.

I would rather not know that someone rejected the car due to a bumper smudge and they repainted the bumper and it looks fine now. I don't need that swimming around in my head.

This idea isn't too terribly popular with most people. Apparently most people are of the mindset that they'd rather not know, and they really dislike the idea of their new car being "tainted".

My take on that is there is already carfax which is similar. Like I'm sure my Jeep Wrangler has it's history on CarFax because I had to get a plastic fender piece replaced/repainted because someone hit it. Sure it sucks that there is this "record" of such a trivial thing, but obviously it could be a non-trivial thing as well. It's extremely helpful to the person who might buy my Jeep from me. I think most people are good with the concept behind carfax.

But, they're not okay with anything similar with a "new" car. Instead with a new car we like pretending that what we got is EXACTLY the same as a car that left the factory with factory paint.

Even though it's not the same especially with paint/bodywork. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that no after market painting is as good as factory paint. So if a bumper has to be repainted than it might be more susceptible to fading than a factory painted one.

If I was buying a new car that required repainting then I'd want to know so that I could get a discount on the price. If I get a discount on the price then I need to be honest to the person buying it from me down the road.

I really wish Tesla would get this paint thing figured out. It's not even something I would have even thought to think of when buying a German car.

I think that would be pretty unethical and not fair to the new owner as if someone googled that VIN it could lower the value of their car.

The thing is.. each person is different and unique. Everyone should just follow the delivery checklist and make their own judgement on if the car is acceptable to them or not. It's not like these are getting rejected for mechanical issues.

I would rather not know that someone rejected the car due to a bumper smudge and they repainted the bumper and it looks fine now. I don't need that swimming around in my head.

You're correct that they're not being rejected for mechanical issues, but fit/finish issues along with paint issues.

Both of those can be corrected by Tesla, and a body shop.

So it really comes down to the "Swimming around in my head" aspect. Which is a fun thing to think about.

Years ago I was a major fan of using DNA genetic testing to know more about my body. If there were any diseases I was at increased risk factors for. Other people thought I was a bit nutty because why would I want to know? It honestly didn't tell me much. I think it simply said increase chance for prostrate cancer. That wasn't exactly news to me as their is a history of it in my family. It's not an exact science, and people can't ready too much into it.

But, as it turned out that two people who had that "better not knowing" sentiment came down with cancer.

My brother had colon cancer (he's adopted so he doesn't know anything about his genetic history)
A coworker got Leukemia

They both survived thankfully.

I didn't really think about it until the person that got Leukemia told me about the time when I told her about 23andme.

Now sure that story is about the health of persons body, and this discussion is about cars. But, the truth is that with either one there can be things hidden that will come back to bite us. So I'm of the belief that it's better to know as much as you reasonably can. With cars it's pretty simple as everything has a cost. As soon as you've had an accident/mishap you suddenly have diminished value.

Reactions: TheLocNar
Let's think about this for a little bit...

Let's say that a car is returned and ends up on your blacklist. And we'll also assume that everyone reads the blacklist and everyone rejects the car. So it has to become a write-off for Tesla? That only tends to make all cars more expensive.

Let's say that a car is scratched during shipping. The scratched gets worked out for some reason. Is that a reason to stay on the blacklist?

I remember a recent article indicating that Tesla is needing something like 80% of the vehicles go through rework when they come off of the line. Should they all be blacklisted?

If one comes off the line and has a scratched that is missed, but found by the delivery center or new car buyer, should it go on the blacklist?

So all cars go on the blacklist. With current numbers, 95% of the cars have to be thrown away. Doesn't' really make sense does it.

Instead of being constantly paranoid, just take the new damn car and enjoy it!!!

Let's think about this for a little bit...

Let's say that a car is returned and ends up on your blacklist. And we'll also assume that everyone reads the blacklist and everyone rejects the car. So it has to become a write-off for Tesla? That only tends to make all cars more expensive.

Let's say that a car is scratched during shipping. The scratched gets worked out for some reason. Is that a reason to stay on the blacklist?

I remember a recent article indicating that Tesla is needing something like 80% of the vehicles go through rework when they come off of the line. Should they all be blacklisted?

If one comes off the line and has a scratched that is missed, but found by the delivery center or new car buyer, should it go on the blacklist?

So all cars go on the blacklist. With current numbers, 95% of the cars have to be thrown away. Doesn't' really make sense does it.

Instead of being constantly paranoid, just take the new damn car and enjoy it!!!

A history of a vehicle isn't a blacklist.

It's simply a list of services/repairs made to a vehicle.

Like my Tesla has been serviced by Tesla every year, and this should make it look good to a new buyer. That means I cared about the car, and it's maintenance schedule.

I have an E-Bike that has the ability to add repair/maintenance stuff into a digital log (using the app).

This would be pretty nifty for my car as well.

Obviously things happen to a car as soon as it leaves the factory. I'm in no way suggesting that these cars get on some blacklist. But, just that they come with fully detailed logs with anything post-factory.

With detailed logs I doubt there'd be much difference between one used car, and another used car because eventually something damages a persons car in some way.

I have a feeling that this is only problematic with new Tesla's because they tend to do more post-ops than other companies. So I could see how it could backfire on Tesla until they really get the production running smoothly without so many post-corrections.

Remember Martin Tripp’s list of vins with allegedly punctured batteries?

Those with vins on the list cared less than the nancies here worried about Tesla fixing some bumps in the paint.