Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on gaps accepting or rejecting delivery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to pick up car tomorrow but went a day earlier to check the car and didn't know if those gaps are considered acceptable or should I reject delivery(this isn't an inventory car or anything) Also to clarify it's not bugging me as much as I am worried that others had so many issues due to gaps on the Long run, that's why I am trying to get some insight, otherwise everything looked pretty good in the car.

Attachments

• tempImageE96s8r.png
    tempImageE96s8r.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5104.jpg
    IMG_5104.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 44
  • tempImage2DiMt6.png
    tempImage2DiMt6.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
  • tempImageum9xzn.png
    tempImageum9xzn.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • tempImage2nwhFh.png
    tempImage2nwhFh.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5104.jpg
    IMG_5104.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5101 2.jpg
    IMG_5101 2.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 45
I'll give you my opinion but I'm not the one paying for the car so don't take it too seriously.

The gaps thing is basically a meme at this point. Sure, if something is way off and super wide on one side and touching on the other, that's not acceptable. This is not an important aspect of the vehicle (or any vehicle really) outside of jarring mistakes. I have had 6 Teslas at this point and only one of them needed one panel adjusted, which was done free shortly after delivery and made perfect.

What exactly does "it's not bugging me as much as I am worried that others had so many issues due to gaps on the Long run" mean? I don't know of any long term gap issues.

This is your car that you are spending your hard earned money on. If you find this unacceptable, do not give Tesla your money for this car and either find another from Tesla you like, or go for a different brand. If it's not bugging you, then just get it, it will be awesome.

I had never heard anyone talk about panel gaps before Tesla. After it was brought up, I went around parking lots looking at other cars, and you can find weird panel gaps all over the place on *all* brands. It really means nothing imo

I'll give you my opinion but I'm not the one paying for the car so don't take it too seriously.

The gaps thing is basically a meme at this point. Sure, if something is way off and super wide on one side and touching on the other, that's not acceptable. This is not an important aspect of the vehicle (or any vehicle really) outside of jarring mistakes. I have had 6 Teslas at this point and only one of them needed one panel adjusted, which was done free shortly after delivery and made perfect.

What exactly does "it's not bugging me as much as I am worried that others had so many issues due to gaps on the Long run" mean? I don't know of any long term gap issues.

This is your car that you are spending your hard earned money on. If you find this unacceptable, do not give Tesla your money for this car and either find another from Tesla you like, or go for a different brand. If it's not bugging you, then just get it, it will be awesome.

I had never heard anyone talk about panel gaps before Tesla. After it was brought up, I went around parking lots looking at other cars, and you can find weird panel gaps all over the place on *all* brands. It really means nothing imo
Thank you!!

Reactions: DirtyT3sla

I agree with this completely.

I've mentioned it in the past, my crooked 2021 model Y was much quieter inside than my straight, perfect gap, 2022 model Y. The MX trunk is slightly higher on one side and since I don't have any booming or wind noise, I'm not going to worry about it either.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Your money, I also had what I thought were minor and easily correctable gaps only one of which annoyed me. Did SC appointment and they sort of made one FWD batter but messed with the other one in a way that bothers me more (FWD half of the B-plliar now sticks outwards along the y-axis is not flush with front door half of B-pillar glass) and also scratched the rear quarter trim when adjusting the door. I have another appointment to address these, but also considering just going to a highly rated body shop and fix it myself. What I see in this picture is not something I'd reject, but after my SC experience, and if what you see bothers you much, then go ahead and reject. But the next car could have other issues and you only have 2 tries after which you'd have to cancel the order. In my case it's an MXP and the price is higher now and I also got free FSD transfer, so not willing to gamble. Everyone's situation is different.

I was so happy to get my MX I didn’t make an issue of the misalignments. Three years later it bothers me. I feel them every time I wash it and they add to the cabin noise.
I still like my MX but something I accepted at delivery is not the trifle I treated it as.
Good Luck!

Precisely, knowing myself, I know the issues will bother me. Looking at the SC lot today, every X I see has some sort of alignment issue. Have 2nd SC next week and will ask for a highly rated body shop referral if they don't fix it again. The body shop didn't want to work straight on a brand new car without the SC referral as they are Tesla certified, but doubt I will get it easily. But will keep bugging the SC and propose it if they can't fix 2nd time.