Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reliable non-Tesla granny charger needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My son just purchased a Megane E-Tech (very nice car!) and is waiting for the DNO to sort his electrical supply before having a Zappi installed.

In the interim he bought a granny charger from Amazon for around £150 which has just failed after 4 weeks of use! Most of the third-party chargers I can see available for UK purchase look surprisingly similar and Chinese manufacture and while he may just have been unlucky, we prefer to try something made locally next time around, even if it's a few quid more.

I see Tough Leads have one but the 10m cable version is out-of-stock. I've contacted them for a stock update but understandably he's trying to get a new one pdq to avoid the appalling rapid charger prices.

Anyone here got a recommendation for a decent third-party granny charger please, preferably UK made, although anything which has performed well would be considered.

Cheers

100% what I would do too. good compatibility, cheap extra ends if you want to go commando or take it to europe etc.
Plus one on the Tesla UMC.
Well done to the person who got one for £50 but even brand new its "only" £180 which for an OEM UMC is actually a bit of a bargain. I have seen other manufactures charge £450 for these.

Reactions: spon88
Reactions: Adopado
As said above, why buy this when you could get a genuine Tesla UMC for just £20 more, with option for interchangeable/worldwide plugs, up to 32A commando, proven reliability, and free DHL delivery in 48hrs?
Depending on location you might also need an extension lead and a waterproof box for the Tesla one which you might avoid with the 10m screw-fix one but still totally worth it

My Gran has an outdoor socket for the leaf blower so I'm lucky as my UMC is perfectly sufficient. Otherwise, an extension from ToughLeads + the UMC is miles better for me than a questionable brand
🤨 Since when has Masterplug been a questionable brand!? Every time you introduce a connection point in an electrical circuit, you're increasing the risk of failure or (especially in this type of setup) water ingress.

Reactions: Roy Batty
He's gone for the 10m Masterplug. He found a review from an electrical engineer on one of the other EV forums which rates it. Also the speed at which he could get it (arrived already) and the convenience of the 10m cable. I advised the Tesla unit plus a Tough Leads cable but either way, I think the unit he's gone for is decent. He also got a £30 voucher which helped swing it. Thanks for all the imput. One of the kids in an EV, one more to go!