Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing brake light (charge cable side) - will car need a reset after?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Casss

Aug 6, 2021
UK
Apologies if I'm missing an obvious thread that might help with this, but need some advice from those in the know on this please.

Long story short is this - debris in the passenger side outer tail/brake light (UK car) - this is the charge port side of the car (2017 model S).

Tesla's response is that they don't clean or service light units - cut and shut job, either stump up the cash for a new one and fitting or live with it (£500+ minimum) - so I'm very tempted to get something in the back if I can and give it a clean out to get a 90% job done. Won't be perfect, but hoping it will be much better, and not needlessly costly.

To get a long hose of some sort attached to a vacuum into the back of one of the drain / air holes in the back of the light fitting, I'll obviously need to remove it, which means unplugging the inbound charge cable from the back of the fitting. With the 12v battery and the 'fireman's loop' disconnected, will the car throw codes when this is plugged back in? Or will it be OK assuming I've given it an hour or so for caps to discharge after unplugging?

There is no issue with just unplugging the taillight (I've done it multiple times). You don't have to worry about shutting down or disconnecting anything. The taillight is supposed to be sealed and waterproof, with a small vent toward the inside of the car that has a round patch of GORE membrane covering it. GORE membrane allows air to flow in and equalize pressure, but block moisture. If the seal all around the taillight is cracked or you need to open it, there is a special sealant you can buy to glue it back together. Or for a smaller crack in the seal use any sealant that will work with plastic. See this video for reference

Reactions: Casss
Long story short is this - debris in the passenger side outer tail/brake light (UK car) - this is the charge port side of the car (2017 model S).

With the 12v battery and the 'fireman's loop' disconnected, will the car throw codes when this is plugged back in? Or will it be OK assuming I've given it an hour or so for caps to discharge after unplugging?
Sorry for been late but perhaps this will help someone in future.

To get the taillight off the car you do not need to unplug any HV cables nor that fireman’s loop. You only need to unplug that door (which is attached to the light) wire from the charge port. There are quite a struggle to get this done as the screws of the charge port has to be undone and first HV cable fasteners loosened to give a way for the door fixture. Also all the side and end panels in the trunk needs to come off. Here is description of changing that charge port door:

Sorry for been late but perhaps this will help someone in future.

To get the taillight off the car you do not need to unplug any HV cables nor that fireman’s loop. You only need to unplug that door (which is attached to the light) wire from the charge port. There are quite a struggle to get this done as the screws of the charge port has to be undone and first HV cable fasteners loosened to give a way for the door fixture. Also all the side and end panels in the trunk needs to come off. Here is description of changing that charge port door:

Exactly what I was looking for - I knew someone somewhere would have been through this. Thanks so much 👍