Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was too chicken. I made the service center install it for me as I wanted it to be their fault if they mounted it wrong or it later falls off. :)
Strong reasoning there.
Adhesive mounting the license plate holder is just stupid if you ask me. It is going to fail some day and I will either lose or damage my plate I am sure. Which then means I have to deal with the DMV which just sounds horrible.
They might be thinking "well you don't have to drill it, so no damage" but in the longterm that adhesive tends to leech and it'll discolour the paint anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is another solution. Use the 3m "dual lock". It is used elsewhere on the car.

The black dual lock is good for 200+ deg F, and I have used it in aircraft applications where it had held up for 10+ years with no failures.

Unlike the 3m foam tape, UHB, or VHB PSA's, can be peeled off without leaving a residue.

Follow the instructions. Requires a minute of firm pressure, and 24 hrs before you can load it or unlock it.

This will allow you to remove the plate and frame occasionally to check the dual lock bond and for cleaning, or to reposition the plate.

The black dual lock now available at Lowe's and HD.

I removed mine last night. Used a hair dryer and just gently pulled on it until it came off. Took about 10 minute because I pulled very slowly. It didn't leave much residue, and goo gone was able to get rid of that little bit it did leave.

Looks great!

Perhaps already posted, but dental floss is very good for removing glued-on emblems, etc. You start at the top and kind of saw down with it, pulling one end of the floss then the other. I'd be gentle with the heat on painted areas and with unknown glue that might worsen with high heat.

Reactions: lUtriaNt