Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So installed my license plates today, including the adhesive front plate holder, aaaaaannnndddd just noticed its slightly off center. Hooray.

Anyone tried removing one of these yet? Debating what’s gonna be worse, having an off center front plate for the remainder of the car’s life, or the damage the adhesive will do if I try to remove it.

good luck thats part of the reason why i wanted something I can remove easily.
I installed this:

https://www.amazon.com/Altec-Produc...8&qid=1536888241&sr=8-1&keywords=hide+a+plate

Welcome to Hide The Plate!

Works great.

I didn't want to tape anything to the front of my car. Neither did I want to clamp anything to the bottom louvers in the fear that "as I've seen before" a 5mph bump will crack the louvers.

I installed this on the bottom of the car underneath. It works great.

Reactions: stayfocus18
Will this survive contact with a curb or steep driveway?

OP: removing these is not hard (haven't tried it on a Model 3, but on a friend's Model S which also uses adhesive). You can make it easier by using a hair dryer or heatgun to soften the glue. I don't know if the adhesive will be strong enough to re-attach, but you can always buy a roll of 3M automotive adhesive tape (which is probably what Tesla uses as well).

Last edited:

OP: removing these is not hard (haven't tried it on a Model 3, but on a friend's Model S which also uses adhesive). You can make it easier by using a hair dryer or heatgun to soften the glue. I don't know if the adhesive will be strong enough to re-attach, but you can always buy a roll of 3M automotive adhesive tape (which is probably what Tesla uses as well).

I don't have a step driveway.

I've had no problems anywhere else yet.

Thanks! I’m gonna give it a whirl.

Think they’ll be a lot of gunk left over from the tape to remove after?

I installed this:

https://www.amazon.com/Altec-Produc...8&qid=1536888241&sr=8-1&keywords=hide+a+plate

Welcome to Hide The Plate!

Works great.

I didn't want to tape anything to the front of my car. Neither did I want to clamp anything to the bottom louvers in the fear that "as I've seen before" a 5mph bump will crack the louvers.

How did you end up powering it? Straight to the 12V? or VCLeft/right in the footwells?

So installed my license plates today, including the adhesive front plate holder, aaaaaannnndddd just noticed its slightly off center. Hooray.

Anyone tried removing one of these yet? Debating what’s gonna be worse, having an off center front plate for the remainder of the car’s life, or the damage the adhesive will do if I try to remove it.

It's amazing how everyone has to hijack a thread for some other discussion.
It's just double sided tape. As someone else mentioned, heating can help. Maybe even sitting in the sun. Always pull slowly and maybe have some adhesive remover available. Get some new double side tape and put it back on.

Reactions: pennyarcade
Thanks! I’m gonna give it a whirl.

Think they’ll be a lot of gunk left over from the tape to remove after?

How did it go? I just put my plate on today, and when I stepped back to admire my handiwork after obsessively making small adjustment after small adjustment - realized that it was off center by about 1/8". Not noticeable unless you're looking for it, but the OCD in me is unsatisfied.

I'm inclined to just live with hit, unless it's easier to adjust than it looks.

How did it go? I just put my plate on today, and when I stepped back to admire my handiwork after obsessively making small adjustment after small adjustment - realized that it was off center by about 1/8". Not noticeable unless you're looking for it, but the OCD in me is unsatisfied.

I'm inclined to just live with hit, unless it's easier to adjust than it looks.

Learned to live with it. Was fairly certain I was gonna **** it up even more by trying to fix it. Don’t even notice it anymore.

So I too did not like the look of CA white front license plate on my black M3. Decided to give it a try to take off the plate by using a hair blower and hot water. Was able to cleanly remove the plate and there was no sticky residue left behind either. Took about 20 mins to do it as was being extremely careful to not rip the paint or leave any residue. I dont think this procedure would rip the paint but if not careful could leave some sticky residue.

Zidarich and M3_RBN this was exactly the thread I needed. I too just installed it a bit too quickly and it's an inch off-center. Yeah - I'm anal-retentive but with a hood as beautiful as it is, I'm not happy at all thinking every time I admire the front I'm going to notice the front badge not being aligned with the plate.

M3_RBN - Can you please give a little more color on the procedure you used with the hair dryer and hot water? I'm going to try it out and see if I can get it off to give it another go with new adhesive - this time with some painters tape and measured offsets. Thank you so much in advance!

I was too chicken. I made the service center install it for me as I wanted it to be their fault if they mounted it wrong or it later falls off. :)

Adhesive mounting the license plate holder is just stupid if you ask me. It is going to fail some day and I will either lose or damage my plate I am sure. Which then means I have to deal with the DMV which just sounds horrible.

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire