Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renewing the debate on the best Fridge/Freezer for 6 seater MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few older threads on the topic, but looking to renew a look into the best fridges and/or freezers for the MX that fits between the two seats in the 6-seater combination. We're doing an extended road trip with our twin girls (under 1 year of age), and having lots of reliable refrigeration is key. I'd prefer something that can keep things frozen, but I don't know how realistic that is in a car environment.

What did you love, what did you hate?

We bought a ARB 10800472 Fridge Freezer- 50 Quart. We've put about 15k miles on it in our 6 seat X.. It fits perfectly between the middle seats, the top doesn't hit the ceiling, the cord reaches the 12V plug in the back. It can also run on 120V. It''s a high quality piece.
I would buy it again. Amazon has them for about $850.

We love our Dometic CFX35W cooler/freezer. In this size it fits exactly between the two 2nd row seats and the top is about flush with the backseats folded down so it is perfect for the driver to take nap when supercharging on road trips :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G6LVHQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does look like the height of the CFX35W would be closer than the 40W. Those are expensive coolers at ~$800. I think my wife would make me sleep in the X about 7 nights to pay for it on my solo roadtrips :)

6xocaQK.jpg

M8G8cTi.jpg

This looks like it would be a reasonable option too.
Price: $90 (above ones are $800) Free Shipping for Prime Members
At least size-wise.

https://smile.amazon.com/Wagan-EL6224-12V-Cooler-Warmer/dp/B00NHBYOA6

Caveat underlined (34F = 70F - 36F tho):
  • 2 temperature settings: cool up to 32 Degree - 36 Degree Fahrenheit below room temperature, or warm up to 140 Degree Fahrenheit; its hot/cold/off switch has indicator lights and is on the back of the unit
  • 24 Liter Capacity: fits four 2 Liter bottles or up to 27 cans - or ample room inside for food and snacks
  • Heavy duty handle for easy transport; plus a 7 feet DC power cord which allows the unit to be placed in the vehicle's backseat
  • Operates on 12v DC (cord included) for use in the vehicle; optional AC adapter is available for home and office use, Wagan item 9903 (sold separately)

NZEiUXE.jpg

This looks like it would be a reasonable option too.
Price: $90 (above ones are $800) Free Shipping for Prime Members
At least size-wise.

https://smile.amazon.com/Wagan-EL6224-12V-Cooler-Warmer/dp/B00NHBYOA6

Caveat underlined (34F = 70F - 36F tho):
  • 2 temperature settings: cool up to 32 Degree - 36 Degree Fahrenheit below room temperature, or warm up to 140 Degree Fahrenheit; its hot/cold/off switch has indicator lights and is on the back of the unit
  • 24 Liter Capacity: fits four 2 Liter bottles or up to 27 cans - or ample room inside for food and snacks
  • Heavy duty handle for easy transport; plus a 7 feet DC power cord which allows the unit to be placed in the vehicle's backseat
  • Operates on 12v DC (cord included) for use in the vehicle; optional AC adapter is available for home and office use, Wagan item 9903 (sold separately)
NZEiUXE.jpg

There's a world of difference between a Peltier cooler like that and a compressor driven portable fridge/freezer.

The Peltier devices may be a lot cheaper, but they eat a whole lot more power and in my experience generally don't cool effectively.

There's a world of difference between a Peltier cooler like that and a compressor driven portable fridge/freezer.

The Peltier devices may be a lot cheaper, but they eat a whole lot more power and in my experience generally don't cool effectively.

Looks like CFX40W would be about 9 Wh compared to the 40 Wh of the EL 6224 if I did/understood it correctly.

I'm still tempted on that 2nd Peltier cooler and get the 120v adapter to keep it cool (or pre-cool) it in the house and at hotel stops.

FKqKgvW.jpg

Looks like CFX40W would be about 9 Wh compared to the 40 Wh of the EL 6224 if I did/understood it correctly.

I'm still tempted on that 2nd Peltier cooler and get the 120v adapter to keep it cool (or pre-cool) it in the house and at hotel stops.

FKqKgvW.jpg

Your life, your money, your choice. :)

I never had a Peltier that truly got down to fridge temps, no matter how much power it ate, whereas the Dometic fridges easily manage to freeze things if desired. In my book is worth the extra money, but as always YMMV.

Another vote and recommendation for a Dometic. We have two of them and they're great. Excellent temperature control, quiet, very low energy use and durable. Highly recommended.

EDIT: I should add that we use the larger Dometic as a refrigerator in our RV, which I live in during the week for work. It is on 24/7, going on 2 years now with no change in cooling function or sound while running. The smaller unit we use in the car for getting groceries during the summer as we live over an hour from the grocery store. When we buy ice cream we set it to freezer mode and it does great. You can figure on 65W of power draw when it is running, which at comfortable ambient temperatures is probably only about 10-15 minutes per hour.

We like the Koolatron and it fits great between the seats. You do have to understand it's limitations, which is primarily that it keeps things cool....it's not a fridge and doesn't cool them quickly. Given enough time they would cool down but don't expect to grab some drinks from your warm garage and have them cold two hours later. Best is to pre cool the unit and everything that you are putting in it.

Does the dometic do well when you constantly plug it in and out?

The DC plug is a really tightly fit into the unit, so it's a bit of a nuisance to unplug from the cooler. Both the 12V and 120V ends are heavy duty and shouldn't have any wear issues. I just leave the DC cords plugged into the cooler and carry the cord along with the cooler when transferring between the garage and car. The AC connector is a standard 3-prong, just like any computer cord and is easy to remove. The DC cord uses a rectangular plug with only 2 pins.

Reactions: Whisky
It does look like the height of the CFX35W would be closer than the 40W. Those are expensive coolers at ~$800. I think my wife would make me sleep in the X about 7 nights to pay for it on my solo roadtrips :)

I also did the exact same analysis and went with the CFX35W. The height is perfect for sleeping, and also as armrest for the second row passengers with a cushion thrown on top of the fridge. It is really a multipurpose use: fridge, armrest, sleep.

I also did the exact same analysis and went with the CFX35W. The height is perfect for sleeping, and also as armrest for the second row passengers with a cushion thrown on top of the fridge. It is really a multipurpose use: fridge, armrest, sleep.
I ended up going with the CFX35W a few hours ago but bought the blue and grey one and saved $90. Great point about the armrest. Thanks.

Pretty sure @TaoJones is about to come on this thread and drop the mike.

Funny you should mention.

Engel. Accept no substitutes. One moving part (a swing compressor), very low energy usage, quiet, and a bulletproof reputation.

The 40-quart marine version will fit perfectly aft in a Model S, and can be either a fridge or a freezer, managed to the degree. For bonus points, consider a remote thermometer so that you can see at a glance from the cockpit what the temperature is. Perfect for maintaining medicine for a passenger and/or just for fresh produce and grillables when you want something better than the usual road fare. If you choose the freezer option, it *will* freeze things solid. Including golf ball ice cubes for a proper happy hour, so I've been told.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/engel--40qt-portable-refrigerator-freezer--11589462

A Model X can easily accommodate the next size(s) up which offer both fridge and freezer compartments.

Buying from West Marine instead of Amazon affords the option of a *walk-in replacement* and extended warranty in the exceedingly unlikely event that your unit fails. No headaches associated with depot shipping to Florida or finding a repair facility.

As long as you're running one 12V supply from the fuse box, consider a pigtail for dual receptacles aft - that way, you can expand yer galley with yer choice of 12VDC appliances (popcorn maker, microwave, crockpot), or an inverter if AC appliances are your thing.

FWIW, my Engel has lasted, so far, over 3 years and right at 100,000 miles and counting.

Well, there ya go. Good luck with yer respective choices.

Do these run off the 12v battery or the car's battery? Does anyone use them while the car is off? Wondering for dinner leftovers. We'll often not take leftovers with us since we're not going straight home.

They run off of 12V. On a Tesla, the 12V is charged as needed from the traction battery, even when the car is 'off' - that's the main cause of vampire drain.