Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renewing the debate on the best Fridge/Freezer for 6 seater MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So many off roaders choose ARB for their reliability and durability. I've had my 50 qt in my last 2 jeeps and you can't beat them. There is a thread discussing them on an Expedition Portal where guys have had them running non stop for years as garage/rig fridges. I camp for a week at a time and run mine while out using a dual battery setup in the jeep but in a Tesla it would be awesome not worrying about power to it.
These guys have specials all the time, sure it may be steep on price but quality is worth spending a few extra bucks knowing it will last a very long time. Mine mounts to a slide with a cook stove underneath it.
Search results for: 'arb fridge freezer'

So many off roaders choose ARB for their reliability and durability. I've had my 50 qt in my last 2 jeeps and you can't beat them. There is a thread discussing them on an Expedition Portal where guys have had them running non stop for years as garage/rig fridges. I camp for a week at a time and run mine while out using a dual battery setup in the jeep but in a Tesla it would be awesome not worrying about power to it.
These guys have specials all the time, sure it may be steep on price but quality is worth spending a few extra bucks knowing it will last a very long time. Mine mounts to a slide with a cook stove underneath it.
Search results for: 'arb fridge freezer'
Nice input. Looks like the ARB 37 would be the most compatible sizewise. Also looks like a lot of places carry these.

The ARB 37 is 45lbs! Looks like CFX35W is 39 lbs and CFX40W is 41 lbs so not that much of a diff, I guess.

CiGYHtg.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and Don TLR
Do these run off the 12v battery or the car's battery? Does anyone use them while the car is off? Wondering for dinner leftovers. We'll often not take leftovers with us since we're not going straight home.

It's not an issue at all letting it run off the battery overnight. We've done it numerous times with out Subaru Outback. Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't keep power to the 12V outlet when the car is off, so you'd have to figure out some wiring. I calculated that the overnight (12 hr) battery drain would be roughly 200 Wh. That's not enough drain to worry about, even over several days. In a Tesla, you'd never even notice the extra battery drain as it's so low it's down in the noise.

Well, in the grand scheme of the traction battery it is not that much. But the 12V battery is only 33 AH, or roughly 400 WH. So that is half the total capacity of the 12V battery. Which is likely why Tesla chooses to disable the accessory outlets when leaving the car.

Ouch! You are correct. My math was off on how many Wh my Subaru battery holds. I guess it's a good thing we drive long hours and sleep short when travelling with the cooler. :D

Well, in the grand scheme of the traction battery it is not that much. But the 12V battery is only 33 AH, or roughly 400 WH. So that is half the total capacity of the 12V battery. Which is likely why Tesla chooses to disable the accessory outlets when leaving the car.

But again, the computers monitor the 12V and recharge it from the big pack even when the car is off (though not necessarily when it is asleep. Not sure about then.)

The coolers draw about the same amount of power as low-beam headlights and about 60% of high-beams, and then only when the cooler is running. The alternator or traction battery shouldn't have any trouble keeping up with that.

We have one of the Coleman 40 qt Thermoelectric coolers. I think it is basically the Koolatron above but slightly bigger. It's dimensions are 22" long x 15" wide and 17" tall so if just fits in the 6 seater 2nd row space and is pretty level with the 3rd row folded seat height. It can cool or heat and has an adapter for a cigarette lighter and has a AC transformer brick too.

We will be upgrading to something more powerful so anyone who wants to venture up east of Sacramento on the way to Lake Tahoe, PM me and it's yours for free.

colemanpowerchillcooler_sideview.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
The problem with coolers over a real fridge is they're mostly 15 below ambient and that won't cut it in the south west. I like my adult beverages chilled to perfection.. I keep the fridge in the jeep when I commuted with it and still will take it to Costco with is 30 minutes away to keep my chilled stuff chilled when I get home, whole foods hands out a bag of ice with your seafood when temps are in to 110's..

I have the ARB 50 qt. Also I installed a constant power DC lighter plug in the trunk of my S. It has been plugged in for the last 3 weeks while on vacation and had no issues at all. The ARB was bought about 3 years ago and does an excellent job and uses very little power.

Reactions: Don TLR
How do you have it mounted so it doesn't become a projectile in an accident? I'm thinking of a road trip in it over the week of the 4th. How did you wire it in, is there a thread for the wiring in the back??

I just put it between the rear seats and trust them and the center console and step behind it to keep it from getting too mobile. Won't help in a rollover, but it's very very hard to roll a Tesla.

Mine is plugged in to the factory 12V plug in the hatch area. That's powered when the car is awake, but not full time, so if I had it in the car while parked for days with perishables I'd need other arrangements.

I just put it between the rear seats and trust them and the center console and step behind it to keep it from getting too mobile. Won't help in a rollover, but it's very very hard to roll a Tesla.

Mine is plugged in to the factory 12V plug in the hatch area. That's powered when the car is awake, but not full time, so if I had it in the car while parked for days with perishables I'd need other arrangements.

I received my Blue/Grey CFX35 yesterday. It has a built-in battery monitor so I'd thought I'd share that part of the manual for anyone wanting to put it on constant 12v power.

@Ingineer pointed out how to keep the 12v front console active (jumper). Not sure about the rear one.
12v cigarette lighter adapter plugged in for days?

jndySFJ.jpg

ERChuRx.jpg

I received my Blue/Grey CFX35 yesterday. It has a built-in battery monitor so I'd thought I'd share that part of the manual for anyone wanting to put it on constant 12v power.

@Ingineer pointed out how to keep the 12v front console active (jumper). Not sure about the rear one.
12v cigarette lighter adapter plugged in for days?

jndySFJ.jpg

ERChuRx.jpg

In a Tesla the monitor should never trip since the car should use the dc dc converter to charge the 12V before that happens, "on" or "off", but I guess it could be peace of mind for folks.

(On, Off, Locked, and Unlocked are all just states of mind to a Tesla...)

In a Tesla the monitor should never trip since the car should use the dc dc converter to charge the 12V before that happens, "on" or "off", but I guess it could be peace of mind for folks.

(On, Off, Locked, and Unlocked are all just states of mind to a Tesla...)
Not sure that is fool proof. Just read this today.

Please be careful when drawing power from constant 12 Volt. The car will always top off the 12 Volt battery but it won't stay on forever. I've killed my 12 Volt battery recently by having too high of a load on the 12 Volt system over night. The DCDC will supply power to the 12 Volt system to compensate for the load, but at some point it will shut down and then the 12 Volt battery dies.

I posted a review on my initial impression of the Dometic CFX-40W about a year ago. Those who are just starting their research on this topic can find my unboxing and initial impressions here.

Over a year later, I remain pleased with the purchase. I would still pick the CFX-40W over the 35 because I prefer to have the additional refrigerator volume (yes, I have filled the unit to capacity more than once). The CFX-40W also works great as an arm rest for the second row passengers without any additional cushioning.

Regarding power, to ensure that the unit stays powered on at night and other times when the Model X is off, I purchased a small sealed 12 V battery which I use the Model X to keep charged and then I run the Dometic off this battery. All of this fits easily hidden away and securely in the "under trunk" space in the back of the X. I decided to do this after monitoring how quickly the internal Dometic temperature rises on a hot summer days when the power is removed. This setup has kept my Dometic running continuously (except when it's removed for cleaning) for over a year now.

You may find the following links useful if you are interested in exploring such a setup.

ExpertPower EXP12180 18Ah 12V DC battery
Attwood Small Battery Box (vented) for above

I also use a small DC battery charger controller that was originally intended to charge battery banks off a solar panel source to keep my dedicated Dometic battery charged. I like to think this setup provides extra protection for the X's internal 12 V battery, but I don't think it's actually necessary. But, if you do implement this option, be sure to use a fused accessory socket such as these:

CUZEC Heavy Duty 15A Male Plug Adapter (Fused)
NOCO GC018 12V Adapter

Disclaimer: Please be careful! Although the voltage isn't high, an 18Ah 12V DC battery can deliver more than enough current to shock and even seriously injure you if you are not careful. If you do not understand basic electronic concepts, find someone who does to help you. You have been warned! Although this has worked well for me, I assume no responsibility or liability for your actions!