TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Repair Cost - Front Bumper Corner Scratches

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dydy, Jun 22, 2018.

1. dydy

dydy Member

Hi All,

I am hoping to become a Model S owner as soon as next week, but your advice would be hugely appreciated!

I am trying to decide whether or not to go forward with buying a used Model S from Tesla. The car has some scratches on the front bumper, as shown in the pictures in the links below. Tesla is saying that they won't repair them.

Front Bumper 1.jpeg

Front Bumper 2.jpeg

At first, I thought that the scratches are minor and can be fixed easily by a body shop. However, I then saw many posts about how something that seems minor in other cars may cost much more for a Tesla repair.

Do you think that the damages can simply be addressed with touch up paint / buffing them out, etc.? Are there any potential hidden costs that I should think about?

Many thanks for your help!

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

like $300-500 to get a bumper repainted

3. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I’d escalate the expectation and walk away if they didn’t cover the cost, one way or the other, of repairing that.

In other words, that’s not going to buff right out.

• Like x 1
  4. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

Tesla don't refurbish CPO cars any more, there is no chance of them covering the cost in any way, so accept it or move on are the only options.

• Informative x 1
  5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

It costs extra to fix teslas due to aluminum. A plastic bumper should have a comparable repair cost.

6. dydy

dydy Member

Thanks very much, everyone! Greatly appreciate your help and insight!

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I get sideswiped a few days ago and had similar damage. Estimate to fix was $960.

8. dydy

dydy Member

Thanks. Very help info. By the way, I like the chrome delete as shown in your profile picture!

9. D.E.

D.E. Uncorked

I think I'd be careful about buying that one, it looks as if it has been treated roughly. That wheel looks as if it has hit many curbs and is that a cut in the sidewall at 10 o'clock?

Cars are usually priced by age followed by mileage, then condition. It shouldn't cost much more to get one that has been treated with the utmost of care.

10. dydy

dydy Member

Thanks for the advice, D.E. I will be sure to look at it carefully when I get to see it in person. Thanks!