Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeated Delivery Delays for Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a MY LR on April 8th. Like many others, got a VIN recently and scheduled pick up. Was supposed to take delivery last Friday. Get a call the day before that they found an issue with the paint upon inspection and they would need to delay another week. Earlier this week they reached back out and said things were all good and I could pick up the vehicle when I was ready. Scheduled for Friday (6/4) and planned accordingly. Just got another call today that the vehicle was in fact never ready to begin with, so they need to reschedule again.

Pretty frustrated as the pick up location is almost 4 hours away and I'm having to get a ride to pick the vehicle up, so both myself and someone else have taken time off twice now. I guess I'm looking for advice on whether I should just cancel altogether based on the recent changes with radar, upcoming builds with longer range potentially, etc. or stay the course. This experience has been pretty terrible overall, and the location I'm going to for pick up hasn't really tried to remedy the situation. (Not that I necessarily expect anything, it just would be nice to feel a little bit of value.)

Any advice would be helpful!

Is your pickup location at least in the same state as you? I would think your nearest delivery station would be Nashville 3 hours away from Knoxville... Anyway, I am planning on flying out to St Louis, MO to pick mine up when (someday) it is ready... but if I purchase plane tickets and they pull this "oops, it isn't really ready, and it was NEVER GOING TO BE READY ON THAT DAY" like they did with you I will be livid.

Keith

Is your pickup location at least in the same state as you? I would think your nearest delivery station would be Nashville 3 hours away from Knoxville... Anyway, I am planning on flying out to St Louis, MO to pick mine up when (someday) it is ready... but if I purchase plane tickets and they pull this "oops, it isn't really ready, and it was NEVER GOING TO BE READY ON THAT DAY" like they did with you I will be livid.

Keith
About the same distance to Nashville, Atlanta and Charlotte. Initially it was Nashville, but Charlotte picked up the order. Had actually looked at flying, but a one-way was fairly expensive. At this rate, I could probably pick up at Knoxville when it opens if it keeps getting delayed.

Personally, I would cancel and start all over. I know it's that no one wants to hear, especially having waited so long. However, being how it's a new car which you've yet to see and it already has an undisclosed amount of paint work done post factory doesn't sit well with me. Again, this is just my opinion. Additionally, as you stated, the dealer has been changing up the stories on you on separate occasion. That in it of itself doesn't sit well with me. Again, I want to reiterate this is just my opinion and I know it's hard knowing that your car is available and passing it up but that's my 2 cents.

My pick up date for my model y was yesterday but got a call from tesla early in thr morning saying they found discolor on the bumper they will fix it and will schedule for next week
Nice of them finding the problem but why can't they let us know 1 day ahead and not on delivery day

Makes me nervous now that I have a Monday June 28th delivery date. The real issue here is that I am selling a car so have people looking at it, offers coming in, and worse case it isnt ready or there are issues and I reject the Tesla and then my car sells. Now I have no transportation to get to/from work due to Tesla’s terrible QC and practices. Now what? Lay $1600/mo to rent a dang car!?!?! I know, hypothetical, but likely very real scenario. Don’t know what others are doing.

Makes me nervous now that I have a Monday June 28th delivery date. The real issue here is that I am selling a car so have people looking at it, offers coming in, and worse case it isnt ready or there are issues and I reject the Tesla and then my car sells. Now I have no transportation to get to/from work due to Tesla’s terrible QC and practices. Now what? Lay $1600/mo to rent a dang car!?!?! I know, hypothetical, but likely very real scenario. Don’t know what others are doing.
My story....sold my car and ordered my Tesla Y immediately. After the initial 1-10 weeks, the following morning the new dates were within 2 weeks so I was encouraged. Then the dates began to switch every 24-hours. Thankfully, we have an extra vehicle (truck), and my daughters still live at home so I can "borrow" their cars to drive to work and run errands. I don't want to start over given the increasing prices of the Y since I completed my application a few weeks ago.