Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeater camera issues. Blinkers seen on screen when flashing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to go into the service center this week to get my repeater cameras replaced - the service advisor said that Tesla released a memo 4 days ago to the service department that said that the glare in repeaters was normal and that they are working on a firmware update to fix this. I know Tesla said the glare was normal quite a few months ago, but the bit about the firmware seemed new. Wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?
There's no way to fix the issue in firmware. It's possible that they can write some code to decrease the visible impact, but this is a hardware issue. It's "normal" because it was a design flaw, as mentioned, on all the Model 3s produced up through maybe a year ago.

There's no way to fix the issue in firmware. It's possible that they can write some code to decrease the visible impact, but this is a hardware issue. It's "normal" because it was a design flaw, as mentioned, on all the Model 3s produced up through maybe a year ago.
No real easy fix for sure but…Wonder if they can somehow improve it via software - some frame-rate tweaks would help based on the hertz of the bulb. Plus some filters for the colours when the bulb is on. Long shot but wonder if it could actually be improved!

Hi All, I have a 2019 LR M3. Since the beginning, my side repeater cameras, when using for turn signal at night has the blinker light bleed into the camera lens/view, therefore it is basically useless as all you see is the blink of the turn signal. You can't discern if there are cars or not next to you.

Is this the case your earlier model 3's as well? I know the new cameras fixed this issue, however, when I present this to Tesla, they say that this is the inherent characteristics of the older repeater cameras and if I wanted, can pay for the upgrade to replace with the new ones. Seems strange that according to the tech that was servicing my car or the charge port latch issue on Wednesday, that some owners were able to get the cameras replaced under warranty while others had to pay.

Have any of you gotten these replaced and if you had to pay or not?

Seems like a safety issue and should be under warranty, no?

Please share your experience if applicable.

Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: KrenGrl
Hi All, I have a 2019 LR M3. Since the beginning, my side repeater cameras, when using for turn signal at night has the blinker light bleed into the camera lens/view, therefore it is basically useless as all you see is the blink of the turn signal. You can't discern if there are cars or not next to you.

Is this the case your earlier model 3's as well? I know the new cameras fixed this issue, however, when I present this to Tesla, they say that this is the inherent characteristics of the older repeater cameras and if I wanted, can pay for the upgrade to replace with the new ones. Seems strange that according to the tech that was servicing my car or the charge port latch issue on Wednesday, that some owners were able to get the cameras replaced under warranty while others had to pay.

Thanks
I suggest that you all do a good search in TMC (sorry but I don’t remember where I read it) and find the thread where this guy identified and fixed the problem. Maybe a year ago. The blinker light bleeds through, I think, three holes in the PCB that controls the camera. He gave nice instructions on how to take the camera apart and paint the holes shut so no light from the blinker bleeds into the camera.

Thanks
The official policy argument is that the blind spot camera function was not introduced until the 2021 holiday update, so was not promised or originally designed functionality when people with the issue bought the car. Your car even pre-dates when they introduced the side cameras to the backup camera (and very few people keep their backup camera permanently on, such that it would matter). Given the light bleed happens in all the older cameras, it's inherent in the design and as such is not considered a defect. The least expensive way they might "handle" this if pushed is just to disable the functionality, given it wasn't there when the car was sold.

As for why some people get it covered under warranty, when I last looked, many of the successful cases have it only on one side (they had a mix/match situation). In others, the SC wasn't aware of HQ's standard policy and covered it. Some may also be covered by goodwill. Note however, SCs do not take other cases as precedent (giving them an invoice of some SC that covered it, does not mean they must do the same).

The DIY fix mentioned by others is here:
Others did it slightly differently, thread that discusses it here:

Last edited:
Reactions: gotoma8