Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot cameras dim/inconsistent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed over the last three to six months that my blind spot cameras are often overly dim and inconsistently so. It seems that there was maybe a software change to balance out some of the blinker flash when it is dark, but perhaps that has also led to poorer/inconsistent performance under all lighting conditions. It is decidedly worse/different than it used to be and how my wife’s Model Y currently operates. Just seeking out whether this is a common experience?

Reactions: XPsionic
Same problem here. Ever since they updated it mid year to get rid of the yellow color tint of the side cameras, there's been a couple of problems.

1. In very bright sun light the camera flickers between using too purple of white balance and normal white balance
2. In situations where there's a lot of grey, like a bright cloudy day, the camera displays with too low of an exposure value and it looks too dark on the screen.

I submitted a service request, first they say that "It's probably normal", then "come drop your car off for a few days and we'll see if we could fix it".

It's purely a software issue as my cameras had no problems before the update. Wish they'd just reply with "Software bug reported to the team, will update with a fix". I don't want to spend hours of my time dropping off the car for a few days for this.

Do you have any images?
For my car, it's always the passenger side camera, and ONLY when it's very sunny outside. It's like the camera chooses the incorrect white balance setting at minimum shutter speed or something.

Never happened before the orange tint "fix" that they did, and 95% of the time the camera looks normal. I could never recreate this issue if it's anything less than full mid day sun.

As for the second problem of the display looking dim like @Radloaf said, I've seen it multiple times on cloudy days, or on mostly grey looking freeways. As long as the scene is mostly grey, the exposure settings for the camera is too low. It happens indoors in concrete garages as well.

Attachments

• 20231008_121517.jpg
    20231008_121517.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC