Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace 12v warning now gone

wehearttessla

Oct 1, 2018
Carlsbad
This morning I got a “replace your 12v battery warning” when my X had about 20 miles left on the charge. I charged it today to 160 miles (70% or so) and the warning light has gone away.

I scheduled an at home service for next week. Should I still replace the battery or wait for the warning again.

I’m assuming I’ll be charged for the new battery (I have a CPO still under the 4 year 50,000 miles).

Any advice is welcomed!

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
This morning I got a “replace your 12v battery warning” when my X had about 20 miles left on the charge. I charged it today to 160 miles (70% or so) and the warning light has gone away.

I scheduled an at home service for next week. Should I still replace the battery or wait for the warning again.

I’m assuming I’ll be charged for the new battery (I have a CPO still under the 4 year 50,000 miles).

Any advice is welcomed!

One of the risks in driving with the low state of charge is: The main battery wants to conserve its energy so it would stop draining its energy for Air Conditioning, Heater, and in your case also to your 12V charging system.

If it doesn't ask for 12V replacement anymore, I wouldn't replace it because the cause is not from the 12V battery failure but because of the deprivation of being charged from the depleting main battery.

Now your main battery is no longer depleting, you should be fine.

Hebert

MXLR, RN1153, 7/20, Blue/Black/5/20", EDD Jan
Apr 28, 2019
Peoria, AZ
If you like the concept of preventative maintenance, then it might be worth texting the mobile tech this question. They might have an interesting perspective. It is inconvenient when the 12v fails.

Reactions: wehearttessla

SSedan

Jul 24, 2017
Greenville Wisconsin
I would ask Tesla how old the 12volt is, if it is 3yo+ no hesitation replace it. If 2yo it becomes a question of how you feel about being proactive. If 1yo I might shrug it off.

TSLA Pilot

Mar 12, 2013
United States
If you purchased a CPO, why isn't your 12-volt battery covered? Seems like it would be prudent to replace it soon, as a preventative measure, given that its failure will leave you stranded . . . and esp do this while under the CPO warranty.

SMSMD

Dec 2, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
If you like the concept of preventative maintenance, then it might be worth texting the mobile tech this question. They might have an interesting perspective. It is inconvenient when the 12v fails.
I asked Tesla to replace preventatively at 60,000 km, as my model is July 2016, was denied as they checked and said its good.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC