Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace windshield on MS 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla service got back to me after 8 days or so with a quote for $1386 for replacing the windshield. A note on the quote told me they would check my tire pressure for no charge. I am not too keen on Tesla service and their terrible attention to detail, their sloppiness when taking care of my car last time and their blindness to an issue that almost led to the meltdown on my car in the desert. But they are going to check the air pressure in the tires!!!

I contacted Safelite and got 2 separate answers. They quoted me online that they could do it for $1320 and *would you like to pay us right now by credit card*. I stopped by the local Safelite service center in McKinney and their service rep told me they could not do it. That they were not authorized to work on Tesla cars since they could not properly align the camera. 2015 and backward have to be aligned, they cannot self-align.

Another local shop told me they could get the windshield part aftermarket and they could physically do the repair, but since they cannot align the camera, they cannot do the repair due to liability. When I asked him, he told me that he could sell me the windshield itself for about $750. I haven't swapped a windshield in more than a decade. However, doing it myself is the preferable alternative to Tesla service. They are terrible and I want nothing to do with them.

A couple of questions:
My car has been updated to MCU2, might that mean I could self-align the camera?
Anyone replaced your own windshield with good results? Willing to be my online wingman while I do it?
Anyone have a good experience with an aftermarket shop anywhere within a couple hundred miles of Dallas?

Safelite replaced windshield on my 2019 Model S. They ordered glass from Tesla. Did great job. Said if for some reason cameras had issue I could take to SC. But, my car had no problems.

I did use a shop down the street from my local Tesla SC, so maybe they were more "in the know." I'd check around with Safelite, maybe in person. Make sure they order OEM glass. At the time of my windshield replacement, they said there was no other option but to use Tesla parts.

Safelite replaced windshield on my 2019 Model S. They ordered glass from Tesla. Did great job. Said if for some reason cameras had issue I could take to SC. But, my car had no problems.

I did use a shop down the street from my local Tesla SC, so maybe they were more "in the know." I'd check around with Safelite, maybe in person. Make sure they order OEM glass. At the time of my windshield replacement, they said there was no other option but to use Tesla parts.
The issue, as I understand it, is the camera alignment for auto-pilot. On my 2015, the camera will not automagically align like in later models.

• Informative
Reactions: vapor trail
I have had decent luck with the Plano SC.. Have you tried the Dallas SC to see if they might work out better for you?

The only other place I can think of that might touch your car is the Autonation Car Repair center as they are the only certified Tesla collision repair center that I have found in the area:

Reactions: broncoremy
I have had decent luck with the Plano SC.. Have you tried the Dallas SC to see if they might work out better for you?

The only other place I can think of that might touch your car is the Autonation Car Repair center as they are the only certified Tesla collision repair center that I have found in the area:
I need to try them and give it a shot. I will call AN to see what they say.

related question: I am sure I probably do have AP1, but is there a place where I can verify? Is it AP2 or 3 that allows for automatic recalibration of the camera?

My understanding is even the AP1 camera can auto align over time as long as the tech didn't do a terrible job of mounting it back on, and isn't there a menu option to clear the AP camera cache or something to help initiate that fixing of the camera over the next 30-100 miles of driving after a windshield replacement?

I also have 2015 MS nose cone with AP1 and MCU1.

Be safe, have it done at the SC to have camera properly aligned, then email the bill to your insurance agent for reimbursement.
I on my third Marcellus Shelf oil co. white truck (no mudflaps to save) busted windshield so I know what I am saying, SC told me they had multiple
cleanup jobs after SafeLite's camera fiascos.