Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Tesla Model S windshield, where can I purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a rock chip and crack my windshield, live @ Florida, so no deductible, but don't want to wait around for Safelite. I have a good shop that can do the replacement and ADAS calibration, but they don't have Tesla windshields. Any way I can purchase one so I can get it replaced?

The local Tesla shop should have one, but how will you get it to your chosen shop? Why not let Tesla put it in for you? If not Tesla, Safelite will probably be your best bet. I have read non-Tesla windshield do not have as much solar heat rejection, so the area above the dash is hotter. I do not know if this is true.

I assumed you tried the service center? Safelite is the company the Tesla Service Center uses here in Tampa so if they are out of stock, I would think everyone else may be too but it's worth a try. 2016 MS has two variants, to 3/16 and from 4/16. Here's the part number for to 3/16. Maybe search online for the right part number. Get the SKU and look around.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Well, that's odd... I just got a call (1 day before my appointment) from Safelite saying it's an all day drop off, to be there at 8am and when I asked them, they said they use OE whindshields (no Tesla logo) so where do these windshields come from? And why does everybody asumes Safelite uses OEM? I should be able to pick what windshield I want, and not let them chose for me.. What's the price difference between a safelite windshield replacement vs a tesla one? I might just pay the difference, this is absurd... They even go to the extreme to say they only pay $40/hr rate, which is unheard of, I'm sure they have it all worked out with craplite to put down $40/hr rate and charge more for their windshields.

RenderedImage.jpg

It is not OEM unless it says Tesla. It is like OEM. Tesla windshields are made in Peru. Even Safelite says this:

Anybody have any idea how much more Tesla charges vs Safelite?

The local Tesla shop should have one, but how will you get it to your chosen shop? Why not let Tesla put it in for you? If not Tesla, Safelite will probably be your best bet. I have read non-Tesla windshield do not have as much solar heat rejection, so the area above the dash is hotter. I do not know if this is true.

I don't care who does it as long as it's an OEM windshield. I *hate* Safelite both service and products they use. I had a 2010 VW CC that they replaced the windshield twice, the broken one and the one they put first. Complete waste of my time.

It could be free for you in Florida:

The 2023 Florida Statutes (including Special Session C)
600x3_gradient.gif

Title XXXVII
INSURANCE
Chapter 627
INSURANCE RATES AND CONTRACTS
View Entire Chapter
627.7288 Comprehensive coverage; deductible not to apply to motor vehicle glass.—The deductible provisions of any policy of motor vehicle insurance, delivered or issued in this state by an authorized insurer, providing comprehensive coverage or combined additional coverage shall not be applicable to damage to the windshield of any motor vehicle covered under such policy.
History.—s. 1, ch. 79-241; s. 2, ch. 81-318; ss. 547, 563, 809(2nd), ch. 82-243; s. 79, ch. 82-386; s. 15, ch. 90-119; s. 114, ch. 92-318; s. 5, ch. 97-178.
Note.—Former s. 627.7378.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve