Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replaceing my P90DL for the newest MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there guys..

I own the 2016 P90DL fully loaded in 6 seat version.. My plan is to replace it for the Performance 2020 MX and the reason is only the bigger battery (more range). Honestly i use MX as my second car, but when i use it i love it, so i went and tested the new Raven model.. So here are my frustrations and questions..

1. Premium Audio is simply not available anymore?
My P90DL sounds like a Disco club.. The new one (i have tested the Performance 2020 Model with premium whatever is called - Connectivity maybe? ) and it sounds like a Golf .. After i drove the car back to Tesla, i asked them to check the audio in few other cars that were parked there and yup... All sound the same.. What i have seen is that there is no more Dolby icon in settings but i guess it is connected to nVidia Tegra chipset in my car.. Guess Intel doesnt have the Dolby licence for Tesla hardware or something.. So my first question is, what can i do to have premium audio in my car?? In all other cars i have "premium audio" is like a must have feature.. This could easily be a deal breaker for me..

2. Cooling Ventilated Seats ????
I got the info from the dealer that this option is not available anymore?? I mean, damn, my first tesla was like 30% more expensive than the 2020 Performace Model, but had all of this "small details" that are important.. I mean, if i am ready to pay €130+ K for a new car i would like to have or at least the possibility to add everything i want and need? Is it really true that cooling ventilated seats are "not important anymore" ?

Everything else is more less same.. I really do not plan to use Youtube in my car so that Gaming and Entertainment part is nice but it doesn’t add any premium value to any car in my opinion.. So, can i hear your comments especially on the 1. subject?

Thank you..

If you have a decent sounding stereo in a MS then you lucked out.

I have a 2015 with UHFS upgrade and it is the worst sound system I’ve heard in a vehicle in a long time. I’ve never been impressed with Tesla’s audio but then again I am coming from Audi/BMW where paying for an upgraded system meant something.

Well i have MX and it does sound good.. I can not compare it with B&O from my Porsche but it sounds good.. On the other hand, the 2020 MX sounds like *sugar*.. Really really average sound quality.. Nothing you would be expecting from a high tech car like Tesla..

So what are my options here? It there any Audio upgrade that i could do after the purchase? It is really that bad..

Thank you..

Hi Sasha,

I have a Model X100D built in March 2018 with MCU2, FSD,
and to your question the premium sound...
For the last year I have been disappointed with the crap sound of audio listening to XM radio.
I recently started listening to the streaming radio and the sound is Wonderful.
I do not think the XM takes advantage of the many speakers and extras the way the streaming audio does.

So, if you have a sound source you like in your current car, please check it against the same source
in the new car. The differences are great inside of the same car depending on the source of the audio...

Good luck,

Shawn

Well i have MX and it does sound good.. I can not compare it with B&O from my Porsche but it sounds good.. On the other hand, the 2020 MX sounds like *sugar*.. Really really average sound quality.. Nothing you would be expecting from a high tech car like Tesla..

So what are my options here? It there any Audio upgrade that i could do after the purchase? It is really that bad..

Thank you..
No reason why the P90 and current long-range model would sound any different.

And let’s also remember you are basically limited to sub-CD streaming quality unless you are using hi-rez files on a USB stick.

Bottom line is these sound systems are not built to impress.

That is the point..

They do sound different! And they do sound different a lot.. So my old MX P90DL sounds good.. The new MX "Raven" sounds BAD.. PERIOD.. And i know that i can not be impressed by "Tesla Home Made" audio system, but i also do not expect that the quality gets so much worse over the time and with next generations of cars..

As for the test i actually tested it with FLAC file from USB.. So same source in my car and in new Raven models.. Difference is disappointing..

Are there any after market upgrades that i can do and have audio quality that i was looking for? I really have no idea what happened to audio system in Raven models but it is just worse than expected..

Thank you..