Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just upgraded from a 2020 MY to a 2020 MX and have some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
Our family is growing so we thought it would be good to "upgrade" to a 7-seat 2020 MX. I'm super happy with the purchase but there seem to be some things missing from the X that were super handy on the Y.
  • No "Close Windows on Lock" feature? This was one of my most used features of the MY. It felt so good to just get out of the car and walk away knowing that it would secure the car completely. Does the MX not have this feature?
  • Similar is that you can't close the windows from the phone app. WTF?!? You can open the windows (vent) but there is no way to close them again without getting in the car and doing it manually. Is this normal? Is it because I have an older MX? Am I missing something?
  • I originally thought I would hate going to back to a physical key (even though it's pretty cool) after just using my phone for everything in my MY. Is there any software that I can add to my phone that would allow it to unlock the car when I approach it, just like the MY does?
The MX has FSD and updated to 2022.45.15 this morning. This firmware seems pretty old to me but I've never had a car with FSD so I'm not quite sure how the updates work. If I didn't have FSD and had a more recent update, would it solve the problems listed above?

I don’t think legacy S/X can remote close.

The key fob should unlock as you approach. No phone as key function for legacy S/X.
Hmmm... that's disappointing that the windows cannot close remotely. To me, it seems like it should be possible to implement it. I wonder why Tesla hasn't done so. 🤔

Yes, the key fob unlocks the car (and opens the door) when I approach, but I was hoping for a software only solution for those times I don't want to carry anything extra. For example, when I go to the gym I don't want to have extra stuff in my pockets and usually just like to take my cell phone. The fob is small but it still something to keep track of while I'm working out. It's not a huge deal, just thought I would ask if there were any alternatives for legacy MX vehicles.

I just thought of a couple of other things that I really miss
  • Auto seat heater - having the car turn the seat heaters on when it thinks they need it. This goes for the heated steering wheel as well.
  • Light show - having the ability to load different lights shows and syncroize them with other vehicles. My MX doesn't have either of these. Does yours?

Hmmm... that's disappointing that the windows cannot close remotely. To me, it seems like it should be possible to implement it. I wonder why Tesla hasn't done so. 🤔

Yes, the key fob unlocks the car (and opens the door) when I approach, but I was hoping for a software only solution for those times I don't want to carry anything extra. For example, when I go to the gym I don't want to have extra stuff in my pockets and usually just like to take my cell phone. The fob is small but it still something to keep track of while I'm working out. It's not a huge deal, just thought I would ask if there were any alternatives for legacy MX vehicles.
No passive phone key function at all unfortunately. You can pull out your phone and manually use the app the unlock and remote start, but it’s dependent on network connectivity so if the car or your phone has poor connection for whatever reason you could potentially be stranded if you didn’t have your fob.

Reactions: RNHurt
I just thought of a couple of other things that I really miss
  • Auto seat heater - having the car turn the seat heaters on when it thinks they need it. This goes for the heated steering wheel as well.
  • Light show - having the ability to load different lights shows and syncroize them with other vehicles. My MX doesn't have either of these. Does yours?
Also features that are unavailable on legacy S/X

I have a 2020 MY with EAP / Acceleration Boost and just added a 2020 (Raven) MX with FSD.
My biggest on the non-refresh MX wish list (that my MY does have) is having the side-camera view on the screen when the turn signals come on.
That is a big safety upgrade feature that, I hope, Tesla implements in future updates.

• Light show - having the ability to load different lights shows and synchronize them with other vehicles. My MX doesn't have either of these. Does yours?
Also features that are unavailable on legacy S/X

Again, I'm not sure WHY these are not on the legacy S/X platforms. Surely there is nothing technical holding them back. It's just frustrating that you get left out of these things for no good reason.

I have a 2020 MY with EAP / Acceleration Boost and just added a 2020 (Raven) MX with FSD.
My biggest on the non-refresh MX wish list (that my MY does have) is having the side-camera view on the screen when the turn signals come on.
That is a big safety upgrade feature that, I hope, Tesla implements in future updates.
I didn't use the side-camera view in my MY so I didn't really miss them in the MX. Are they not available at all? Or can you see them but not change the location?

UPDATE: just checked the Model X owners manual and no, the Blind Spot Camera is not available in the legacy models. Again, why?!?

Again, I'm not sure WHY these are not on the legacy S/X platforms. Surely there is nothing technical holding them back. It's just frustrating that you get left out of these things for no good reason.

I didn't use the side-camera view in my MY so I didn't really miss them in the MX. Are they not available at all? Or can you see them but not change the location?

UPDATE: just checked the Model X owners manual and no, the Blind Spot Camera is not available in the legacy models. Again, why?!?
No one likely knows the exact technical reasoning except Tesla, but the electrical architecture of the older S/X is completely different than the 3/Y and refresh S/X so I’m sure that has something to do with it.

So, I just performed the "Light Show" for a couple of friends this evening. At the end of the show the car closes all the doors and rolls up all the windows. That tells me that it is PHYSICALLY possible for the car to roll up the windows by itself, so the ability to do it automatically when locking the car (or even from the mobile app) should not be impossible. 😠

Reactions: henderrj
So, I just performed the "Light Show" for a couple of friends this evening. At the end of the show the car closes all the doors and rolls up all the windows. That tells me that it is PHYSICALLY possible for the car to roll up the windows by itself, so the ability to do it automatically when locking the car (or even from the mobile app) should not be impossible. 😠
The Tesla Remote app has the ability to close the windows. It is just not available in the factory app. I suspect out of a safety concern. If you blindly close the windows, while you are not within eyesight of the vehicle, it could possibly injure someone if you are careless.

• Informative
If you pay for the Tessie app, you can remotely close the windows (but potentially cut off some fingers since there is no sensor). I use it all the time on my 2019 MX LR.
Yes, I installed the Tessie app as a trial to see if it would work at all, and it did. I was able to close my windows remotely, while watching to make sure no one was hurt, of course.

However, that app is kinda heavy and does a lot of things that I don't really care about. I'm thinking about writing a tiny little iOS app that only does a couple of things, one of which is close all the windows. 🤔

Reactions: henderrj
Our family is growing so we thought it would be good to "upgrade" to a 7-seat 2020 MX. I'm super happy with the purchase but there seem to be some things missing from the X that were super handy on the Y.
  • No "Close Windows on Lock" feature? This was one of my most used features of the MY. It felt so good to just get out of the car and walk away knowing that it would secure the car completely. Does the MX not have this feature?
  • Similar is that you can't close the windows from the phone app. WTF?!? You can open the windows (vent) but there is no way to close them again without getting in the car and doing it manually. Is this normal? Is it because I have an older MX? Am I missing something?
  • I originally thought I would hate going to back to a physical key (even though it's pretty cool) after just using my phone for everything in my MY. Is there any software that I can add to my phone that would allow it to unlock the car when I approach it, just like the MY does?
The MX has FSD and updated to 2022.45.15 this morning. This firmware seems pretty old to me but I've never had a car with FSD so I'm not quite sure how the updates work. If I didn't have FSD and had a more recent update, would it solve the problems listed above?
I don’t think adding functionality to legacy MS/X is a priority at HQ, low on the list at best.

Yes, I installed the Tessie app as a trial to see if it would work at all, and it did. I was able to close my windows remotely, while watching to make sure no one was hurt, of course.

However, that app is kinda heavy and does a lot of things that I don't really care about. I'm thinking about writing a tiny little iOS app that only does a couple of things, one of which is close all the windows. 🤔
Ok, I was able to do (almost) everything I wanted by just using the new Shortcuts functionality in the Apple ecosystem. If you have a relatively new iPhone you can control your Tesla without any additional applications or money.

I was able to download 3 or 4 Shortcuts from this YouTube video (
) and now I can close the windows on my 2020 MX by just triple tapping on the back of my iPhone. ❤️

Reactions: gt2690b