Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement HV Battery Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2021 Model 3 Performance and just received the HV battery error code of death ("Unable to charge - Maximum charge level reached") with 60K miles on the odometer. I can no longer charge using a Level 1, Level 2, or Tesla Supercharger. Fortunately, I have about 75% left on the current charge so I have enough to drive to the SC which is about 20 miles away. Unfortunately, my service appointment is a week and a half out and I will have to get a rental so I can drive to work (80 daily round trip). After doing some Google research, I came across the Tesla Parts, Body, and Paint Repair Limited Warranty and noticed the refurbished HV battery will only have a 4 year, 50K warranty. Since my car is already 3 years old the limited warranty is similar in mileage to my original HV battery warranty. Buying a used Tesla with a replacement HV battery is now a show stopper for me. People who have their HV battery replaced within the first year or two will lose quite a bit of warranty time/mileage in the refurbished unit causing an expected loss of value should they sell the car.

Tesla Parts, Body, Paint Repair Limited Warranty.jpg

What month did you get your car? I have seen a BUNCH of 21 MP3s that needed a new battery. I am wondering if it is the first release of the 82kwh Panasonics had an issue. in 2021, the MP3 was the only one that had that battery. The LR didn't get it until late in 2021.

Since my car is already 3 years old the limited warranty is similar in mileage to my original HV battery warranty. Buying a used Tesla with a replacement HV battery is now a show stopper for me. People who have their HV battery replaced within the first year or two will lose quite a bit of warranty time/mileage in the refurbished unit causing an expected loss of value should they sell the car.
That isn't how it works. When a battery is replaced under warranty, the original warranty terms/period are maintained. If you buy a refurbished battery out of warranty, it only comes with a 4-year/50k mile warranty.

Update: I have been driving the rental (Honda CRV) all week and hating every minute of it. This morning I took the Tesla out to the store since I have not driven it since Monday. I noticed the message of death was no longer on the screen. I got home and plugged the car into my home charger. I was able to initiate a charge to 90%. SOC was 65% when I started. Software update 2024.14.8 was installed while my car was sitting so maybe it cleared the error message. My appointment is next Tuesday at the SC but I am not going to cancel. I want to make sure the SC runs a diagnostic to make sure the battery is indeed OK.

Reactions: N4HHE