TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Replacement License Plate Screws Sizes

Discussion in 'Model S' started by murph335, Dec 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. murph335

murph335 Member

I just picked up a MS from a local seller and used a temp tag in the window. I just noticed today they kept the plate screws.
    I tried the 10-32 x1/2 from my bmw but the threads are too large.

What are the correct size screws to fit the 4 plastic gromets or would you mind checking the measurements on yours?

2. murph335

murph335 Member

For future reference..

I tried a few and found these fit. 1/2 inch is more than u really need.

I would go for shorter 3/8 if they have it.

Attached Files:

3. tga

tga Supporting Member

#3 tga, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    I used stainless #8 machine screws, with stainless finish washers. You're not screwing into a captive nut, but a plastic sleeve, so there's some flexibility in the fastener you use.

4. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Service center may give them for free

5. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

I'd recommend getting a set of anti-theft license plate screws so some scumbag doesn't steal your plate(s) and put them on their vehicle to avoid getting pulled over for expired registration stickers... or commit a crime. Most auto parts stores sell them and they're cheap insurance against a "convenience" thief... although a pro may have the anti-theft Torx driver to remove them.

6. tga

tga Supporting Member

Service Center is 125 miles away. Local hardware store is 1/100th of that, and I paid less than $1.25. :D

• Like x 1