Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying that finding the floor well vent and running air with the AC compressor off slowly through there and then spraying the cleaner foam spray through the vent is the way?
Yup. If you have a boar camera I suggest using that. You will see the coils after you run about a foot and a halt in. I wouldn’t use anything but Kool-it with the 2 foot hose it comes with and they come in 6oz.

Nice. I’ll stick a camera there and also look for any seal problems
Ok after working on this issue a little more I have determined the source of the (Elon Musk) it’s the huge front filter. (260$) this sucks because it’s not the easiest to get out.
This is a 2022 Plaid with 20k miles.
Just the temporary removal has made my car smell 100% better.
I recommend replacing interior filter and exterior filter or frunk. I would argue you don’t need to coil clean the car.

Attachments

• IMG_9073.jpeg
    IMG_9073.jpeg
    483.5 KB · Views: 111
Ok after working on this issue a little more I have determined the source of the (Elon Musk) it’s the huge front filter. (260$) this sucks because it’s not the easiest to get out.
I recommend replacing interior filter and exterior filter or frunk. I would argue you don’t need to coil clean the car.

Please provide more details and tips on removing the front filter.

Hmm. Did you smell your hepa filter? Is the moldy smell on it?

Please provide more details and tips on removing the front filter.
start with frunk open and power down your tesla.
remove the middle frunk panel (just pops out)
disconnect 12 volt lithium. Many YT videos on this.
with the 12v loose you can drop it down enough to get the housing off then then the filter.
loosen and don’t drop the 3 10mm bolts that hold it on.
The housing and filter behind the 12volt lithium have clips in them that are kinda self explanatory.
Feel free to PM me or even call. 405-532-0080 I will be happy to help.
I don’t believe tesla has a fix for this, unfortunate because it’s definitely the huge watersoaker front heapafilter Thats made out of recycled dog and horse hair.
This will explain why you get the smell really bad when it’s humid or rainy.

start with frunk open and power down your tesla.
remove the middle frunk panel (just pops out)
disconnect 12 volt lithium. Many YT videos on this.
with the 12v loose you can drop it down enough to get the housing off then then the filter.
loosen and don’t drop the 3 10mm bolts that hold it on.
The housing and filter behind the 12volt lithium have clips in them that are kinda self explanatory.
Feel free to PM me or even call. 405-532-0080 I will be happy to help.
I don’t believe tesla has a fix for this, unfortunate because it’s definitely the huge watersoaker front heapafilter Thats made out of recycled dog and horse hair.
This will explain why you get the smell really bad when it’s humid or rainy.

Wow, that doesn't sound too bad at all compared to what others have said about this job. Thanks!

Reactions: Duke846
Errored out first time even with username/password. I logged into Tesla Service and then was able to use your link.
I am running my Plaid right now without the filter in my car. I have a filter replacement on order we will see how long that takes and if they charge me for this. I know the cost of the filter is 260$. I expect them to bend a little considering this filter replacement is advised every 3 years.

I am running my Plaid right now without the filter in my car. I have a filter replacement on order we will see how long that takes and if they charge me for this. I know the cost of the filter is 260$. I expect them to bend a little considering this filter replacement is advised every 3 years.
Interestingly I can’t seem to find an aftermarket hepa filter for the 2021+