Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, this is a 2021 S that was built in August of that year. Had to lift the car up. There's a large panel on the front underside of the car. If you remove it, the spot where the drain line connects to the firewall is right there at the bottom in the center, easily accessible, and easy to disconnect. I fed the Kool-it tube up through drain at the firewall so it got to the coil. I put one can in, left it for a few hours, then put another one in. Reconnected the drain tube and put the panel back on securely. I won't call it a fix, but it did help. Probably needs two more cans. Mine was really bad. This was a really silly problem for such an advanced piece of tech.
This is still probably the best answer so far.....

I pulled both (cabin and HEPA) a couple weeks ago and did this with a spray bottle. No Smell. Its the coil. I just can't get to it....
That's interesting. I actually had tesla mobile come out and change the cabin filter and clean the evaporator. He basically took a can of ac cleaner and sprayed it up into the housing of where he removed the filter. He then ran the air for 10 minutes until it was dry. Needless to say, it didnt work at all. The smell is still there and it's just as bad and disgusting prior to the service. If this problem can not be solved, Im selling the car. This is absolutely ridiculous.

FYI...my cabin filter with less than 2 years, was literally still brand new with no smell at all.

reading through all this and i can't believe the evap coil can't be easily accessed/cleaned like the 3 and Y. between this, the half shaft vibration, and rear tire wear, seems like a headache owning an S. Tesla is buying my 2022 MYP back and i was hoping to swing for a S, but damn. This car seems to be not-smartly engineered. Might as well just stick with the Y and take the tax credit. Forget the X as in my experiences is a dumpster fire of a car.

Mobile service came out this morning to replace the filter assembly with part number 1750575-00-C. This appears to be the entire assembly and filter because the filter was pre-installed in it. Although it is possible that the tech put it together at the SC.

It went well until the tech realized that removing the back half was a major job requiring access from under the dash on the passenger side as well as the housing area. Since it has already been discussed here that the back half is identical, I suggested that he leave it in place and replace it during a future SC visit. He was very happy with that plan. The new front half as seen in pics in this thread attached well so no worries about fit to old rear half.

He also replaced the cabin filter (1688910-00-C) even though it was relatively new just in case it had been affected/contaminated by the dirty hepa filter.

He mentioned that he noticed the smell right away when he was in the car prior to the swap and wanted to see if there was a difference afterward. After the swap it definitely smelled cleaner. So far I'm very happy. He left all of the parts with me: old front half, new rear half, old hepa filter, old cabin filter. I'm going to clean and then treat the filters with an anti-bacterial / anti-fungal agent and then dry and store them for future spares.

I can't thank my SC enough for their efforts to make things right. They are amazing. No charge for the service.

Reactions: NarTaX and josahua
There's a rotating door behind the HEPA filter that leads directly to the blower motor so no coil access from the front. Fan speed determines how wide the door opens.

Low:
hvac1.jpg

High:
hvac2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jacie6056 and Bull
Mobile service came out this morning to replace the filter assembly with part number 1750575-00-C. This appears to be the entire assembly and filter because the filter was pre-installed in it. Although it is possible that the tech put it together at the SC.

It went well until the tech realized that removing the back half was a major job requiring access from under the dash on the passenger side as well as the housing area. Since it has already been discussed here that the back half is identical, I suggested that he leave it in place and replace it during a future SC visit. He was very happy with that plan. The new front half as seen in pics in this thread attached well so no worries about fit to old rear half.

He also replaced the cabin filter (1688910-00-C) even though it was relatively new just in case it had been affected/contaminated by the dirty hepa filter.

He mentioned that he noticed the smell right away when he was in the car prior to the swap and wanted to see if there was a difference afterward. After the swap it definitely smelled cleaner. So far I'm very happy. He left all of the parts with me: old front half, new rear half, old hepa filter, old cabin filter. I'm going to clean and then treat the filters with an anti-bacterial / anti-fungal agent and then dry and store them for future spares.

I can't thank my SC enough for their efforts to make things right. They are amazing. No charge for the service.
Nice you had a good experience. Sounds like at this point it’s a new part and new filter.
Sucks it still doesn’t change the fact that you can’t clean the evap coils directly

How did you get them to do it for no charge?

Nice you had a good experience. Sounds like at this point it’s a new part and new filter.
Sucks it still doesn’t change the fact that you can’t clean the evap coils directly

How did you get them to do it for no charge?
We have a very good relationship. I demoed my Plaid for their customers when they could not get any MS.
They have stepped up multiple times for me. I try to show my appreciation for all they have done.

Reactions: jacie6056
There's a rotating door behind the HEPA filter that leads directly to the blower motor so no coil access from the front. Fan speed determines how wide the door opens.

Low:
View attachment 977498

High:
View attachment 977499
They ain't making this easy..... I assume the thermistor for the evaporator coil is on the down flow side of the coil as is the drain tube (which is already a pretty impossible reach without a lift) but both still with some merit(?).... Somebody suggested earlier to turn the fan on "high" and pump the foam (or Lysol) right into the blower cage, given the next stop after the cage and the hopefully sealed bearing is most likely the evaporator coil. Whoever designed this one deserves 10 minutes in a parking lot with model S owners...

I'm gonna pull the HEPA again, wet it, and hope I smell something this time....

They ain't making this easy..... I assume the thermistor for the evaporator coil is on the down flow side of the coil as is the drain tube (which is already a pretty impossible reach without a lift) but both still with some merit(?).... Somebody suggested earlier to turn the fan on "high" and pump the foam (or Lysol) right into the blower cage, given the next stop after the cage and the hopefully sealed bearing is most likely the evaporator coil. Whoever designed this one deserves 10 minutes in a parking lot with model S owners...

Take it out and run it without the filter. The dark side of my filter had the bad smell when wet. My new frunk filter has cleared up the smell 100%. I actually have a new car smell out of my 2022 Again.

• Love
Reactions: josahua
My Model S is starting to smell like wet socks....God damn it. I have to bring it in again and get more donuts.
Protip: if you have a Krispy Kreme, get the app. always having buy one get one dozen deals. i typically get a dozen for the front office and a dozen for the techs out back. lol.

A lot of the techs at my SC have become good friends outside of work.
They do go through hell there. Randoms drops of food is always good whatever the reason.

Whoever designed this deserves to drive around with their car filled with the smelly filters of all model S owners