Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, don’t turn on biodefense but youv have got to test the dam with the hose and wipers. You’ll never know if you put it on right if you don’t.

And I haven’t seen any noticeable airflow reduction in biodefence mode.

But collectively, the dam and the sock are a $45 fix. It’s actually the Tesla way - use low tech and out of the box thinking to solve a problem!

Last edited:
Also worth noting: if possible don’t give up on this one as a warranty repair. I was able to make a case and I’m glad I did. This original revision was clearly ill equipped for heavy rain, the repair was very fast, and a mobile service tech simply kept the bolt on part that would have taken hours. The housing and filter snap right in after unbolting one electric (fuse?) that’s in the way.

Reactions: Bull
Finally had some rain and tested the frunk seals on both the s and 3. Seemed to work with water missing the air intake but running down the sides of the frunk. The makeshift sock I made on the s was completely dry and just dusty so I guess that will help keep the hepa filter cleaner too.

So I parked under a tree and birds probably took 100 poops on my week old car. I had to take a hose to it pretty hard and I checked the seal and make shift sock and all were dry. There was water to the very sides of the frunk but not any near the air intake.

Okay, don’t turn on biodefense but youv have got to test the dam with the hose and wipers. You’ll never know if you put it on right if you don’t.

And I haven’t seen any noticeable airflow reduction in biodefence mode.

But collectively, the dam and the sock are a $45 fix. It’s actually the Tesla way - use low tech and out of the box thinking to solve a problem!
Do you know if any water collects on top of the sock since it’s not completely tight and flat? I was wondering if just taping the prefilter flat on top of the air intakes might be better as the water will just run straight down. I wonder if it collected on top of the sock if it would eventually seep through or just sit on top until it evaporates?

Hello everyone, I have a 2021 Plaid and looking to get rid of the smell, smells fine on recirculating but once I turn that off it smells like BO, My only question is I see 2 filter assemblies, which one is correct?
Screenshot 2023-12-04 211751.png

Last edited:
Do you know if any water collects on top of the sock since it’s not completely tight and flat? I was wondering if just taping the prefilter flat on top of the air intakes might be better as the water will just run straight down. I wonder if it collected on top of the sock if it would eventually seep through or just sit on top until it evaporates?
Just a few drops collect on the sock if they make their way past the dam. They dry up

The updated part has certainly helped with my car.

A diversion dam and hydrophobic filter will also help. I still suggest starting with the updated Tesla part.
How long have you had the updated part? I have a 2020 model 3 with same problem and design. The smell would go away or many months 4-8 months when I changed the filters but would then return. I think it takes some time for the mold to grow maybe.

How long have you had the updated part? I have a 2020 model 3 with same problem and design. The smell would go away or many months 4-8 months when I changed the filters but would then return. I think it takes some time for the mold to grow maybe.
It has been a few months now. In the past the smell would have been starting up again by now. I'm not convinced that it will solve the problem completely but I do think it has helped.

I do have the dam that @MFrunkerOG suggested but have not installed it yet. I suspect that the best use will be an inverted U shape surrounding the intake on 3 sides. I'm currently looking for some crushable material (modeling clay?) that I can use to determine the thickness of the space with the hood closed.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
I retaped my prefilter to make it look better. I also did the same to 2020 model 3 along with the frunk seal and replaced the cabin filters to see if the smell is gone permanently. I will update if it comes back or it starts in the 2023 mode s
image.jpg