Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Product is live now.
I ordered one - $27.95 shipped. If it helps it will be worth it.

I'm still not clear on the longevity of the hydrophobic coating though. Hopefully it will last a year.

Also worth noting: if possible don’t give up on this one as a warranty repair. I was able to make a case and I’m glad I did. This original revision was clearly ill equipped for heavy rain, the repair was very fast, and a mobile service tech simply kept the bolt on part that would have taken hours. The housing and filter snap right in after unbolting one electric (fuse?) that’s in the way.

My SA told me "no way"...wear and use issue lol. Out of nowhere changed his mind and got it covered. My hats off to him for doing the right thing. Not sure if it is someone locally doing right or maybe Tesla actually is starting to do right by their customers (doubtful but who knows). They should be correcting every one of these things under warranty...awful design and across the board on all their cars. It shouldn't be customers having to install shower gaskets under the hood of $100k cars solving their design problem.

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
My SA told me "no way"...wear and use issue lol. Out of nowhere changed his mind and got it covered. My hats off to him for doing the right thing. Not sure if it is someone locally doing right or maybe Tesla actually is starting to do right by their customers (doubtful but who knows). They should be correcting every one of these things under warranty...awful design and across the board on all their cars. It shouldn't be customers having to install shower gaskets under the hood of $100k cars solving their design problem.
They’re not $100k cars anymore :)

• Funny
Reactions: doubleshot
I am new to this thread and will share my experience with this issue.
  • 2021 Model S Refresh
  • Smell started at about 25,000 miles and is overwhelming when conditions are rainy or moisture is in the air
  • Took car to Service Center in September and Tesla was unwilling to service the vehicle under warranty; they explained the issue was the evaporator coils and charged me $210 to clean them; I replaced the cabin air filter on my own
  • Stank smelled returned immediately
  • Took Model S back to Tesla this week and pressed hard for warranty repair, and they finally agreed — it was a real battle of wills; I explained that I already spent $210 on a bogus solution per Tesla’s recommendation, and that it is unacceptable to have paid $100k for a car that my own family won’t ride in
  • The Manager working with me could not find evidence of part number 170575-00-C in their system, so they ordered 1750575-80-B for installation on January 2nd
  • I am concerned the Tesla Service Center may not be ordering the best part/assembly since so many people got the “-C” part as the fix to their issue; does anyone understand the exact differences between the -B and -C? The -B cost several hundred more than the -C, so is the -C just a component or partial assembly?
  • I just ordered the Filterwears sock to help prevent moisture from penetrating the air intake; I will install it immediately after the new filter assembly is installed
  • I am considering adding the water dam option introduced by @MFrunkerOG; however, I do wonder why you installed the gasket on the underside of your hood instead of making an upside U around the top and two sides of the air intake, as another poster suggested?
Finally, thanks to all previous posters for great insights, ideas, and recommendations.

I am new to this thread and will share my experience with this issue.
  • 2021 Model S Refresh
  • Smell started at about 25,000 miles and is overwhelming when conditions are rainy or moisture is in the air
  • Took car to Service Center in September and Tesla was unwilling to service the vehicle under warranty; they explained the issue was the evaporator coils and charged me $210 to clean them; I replaced the cabin air filter on my own
  • Stank smelled returned immediately
  • Took Model S back to Tesla this week and pressed hard for warranty repair, and they finally agreed — it was a real battle of wills; I explained that I already spent $210 on a bogus solution per Tesla’s recommendation, and that it is unacceptable to have paid $100k for a car that my own family won’t ride in
  • The Manager working with me could not find evidence of part number 170575-00-C in their system, so they ordered 1750575-80-B for installation on January 2nd
  • I am concerned the Tesla Service Center may not be ordering the best part/assembly since so many people got the “-C” part as the fix to their issue; does anyone understand the exact differences between the -B and -C? The -B cost several hundred more than the -C, so is the -C just a component or partial assembly?
  • I just ordered the Filterwears sock to help prevent moisture from penetrating the air intake; I will install it immediately after the new filter assembly is installed
  • I am considering adding the water dam option introduced by @MFrunkerOG; however, I do wonder why you installed the gasket on the underside of your hood instead of making an upside U around the top and two sides of the air intake, as another poster suggested?
Finally, thanks to all previous posters for great insights, ideas, and recommendations.
I did it on the underside of the hood for two reasons
1. The 3M tape on the shower dam has a much better seal against the metal of the hood than the plastic of the intake grill where it will most certainly come loose.
2. Stopping water at the source (where the wipers splash it down) rather than letting it come close to the intake grill and then stopping it.

I did it on the underside of the hood for two reasons
1. The 3M tape on the shower dam has a much better seal against the metal of the hood than the plastic of the intake grill where it will most certainly come loose.
2. Stopping water at the source (where the wipers splash it down) rather than letting it come close to the intake grill and then stopping it.
Ah, I see. Both good reasons. Thanks for the speedy reply. How has it held up? By the way, I ordered the Filterwears sock an hour ago, and my ordered confirmed. If I visit the Filterwears page now, the product shows as Out of Stock. Hopefully, they ramp production up a bit.

The shower dam has held up really well. No degradation of the adhesion for several weeks now. But I wiped the underside a few times with isopropyl alcohol / rubbing alcohol until it was squeaky clean and then did the dam tape.

I know there are a few adhesion promotion things 3M makes which would probably make it even better but I didn’t use them

The shower dam has held up really well. No degradation of the adhesion for several weeks now. But I wiped the underside a few times with isopropyl alcohol / rubbing alcohol until it was squeaky clean and then did the dam tape.

I know there are a few adhesion promotion things 3M makes which would probably make it even better but I didn’t use them
Sounds like I’ll follow the same plan, thank you.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
Sounds like I’ll follow the same plan, thank you.
Between the B part and the C part, I don’t think either replacements will solve the problem since the issue is the water at the intake and given how hard that biodefense fan runs, water spray will just get sucked in no matter r how much they redesigned the intake opening on the C part.

I am willing to wager that the C part without the dam / sock will stink soon!

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Between the B part and the C part, I don’t think either replacements will solve the problem since the issue is the water at the intake and given how hard that biodefense fan runs, water spray will just get sucked in no matter r how much they redesigned the intake opening on the C part.

I am willing to wager that the C part without the dam / sock will stink soon!
Just ordered the dam material you recommended in a previous post. Insane we have to resort to this, but thankful for solutions to try.

Thank you all that have contributed to this thread. I ordered the dam material as well as the filter sock. I got the dam today and installed it, just waiting on the filter sock. I’m in SoCal, and we’ve got rain predicted for the next few days, so hopefully I’ll be ok with the dam for now.

Fwiw, on my Model 3, I never had the funky smell, but thinking about it, as soon as I bought the car, I had installed one of those wind noise reduction kits that you find on Amazon. Perhaps that functioned similarly, by blocking some of the potential water flow to the air supply?

Thank you all that have contributed to this thread. I ordered the dam material as well as the filter sock. I got the dam today and installed it, just waiting on the filter sock. I’m in SoCal, and we’ve got rain predicted for the next few days, so hopefully I’ll be ok with the dam for now.

Fwiw, on my Model 3, I never had the funky smell, but thinking about it, as soon as I bought the car, I had installed one of those wind noise reduction kits that you find on Amazon. Perhaps that functioned similarly, by blocking some of the potential water flow to the air supply?
My 2018 3 had the smell. Without bio defense mode.

Got my sock today, looks great!

Pulled the HEPA filter, running the sock only. Now that I have the sock I can say I’m confident that nothing big enough to be a problem in the evaporator coil will get through.

2023-12-19_17-35-02_453.jpg