Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Report: Tesla Considering Austin, Tulsa for Next U.S. Factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Texas and Oklahoma are two finalists for Tesla’s next U.S. factory, CNBC reported, citing a source intimately familiar with the site search.

The report said Tesla representatives visited two locations in Tulsa that may be a good fit for the fifth Gigafactory. Austin has been the favorite for the new factory, with Musk making references on Twitter about the possibility of a Texas factory.

Tulsa has had a public campaign to attract Tesla, launching a clever, meme-splattered website. “Seriously, we’re ready to close this deal, and we promise we’ll move fast, like Plaid powertrain fast,” the site says.

Austin and Tulsa are also located in truck country, which makes them a good home for manufacturing the Cybertruck and Semi, which is what is intended for the next factory.

Musk, angry about county health orders during the COVID-19 pandemic, said on Twitter Saturday that the company will move its headquarters and “future operations” out of California.

“Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately. If we even retain Fremont manufacturing activity at all, it will be dependent on how Tesla is treated in the future.”

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt tweeted at Musk, offering to talk about a deal to bring Tesla to Oklahoma.

Musk said an announcement on the location of Tesla’s next factory in the U.S. could come as soon as this month, but likely within the next two months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Austin, Texas (Travis County) Closed (reason given is Covid-19) yet another extention to June 19, 2020.
Austin-Travis County stay-home order extended again as more Texas businesses reopen
Sen. Scott Jensen, R-Minn., a physician in Minnesota, was interviewed by "The Ingraham Angle" host Laura Ingraham on April 8 on Fox News and claimed hospitals get paid more if Medicare patients are listed as having COVID-19 and get three times as much money if they need a ventilator.
Fact check: Hospitals get paid more if patients listed as COVID-19, on ventilators
You should try to verify with a search such as "how much do hospitals get for covid-19 patients" .

side note: 80% of people put onto ventilators died (average age was 80 years old. And these people were put into comas for this invasive treatment. Not sure what current stats are. Poor reporting by news media. Hospitals faking stats to get more money (or they have to fire doctors and other staff or chapter 11? tough call

Austin, Texas (Travis County) Closed (reason given is Covid-19) yet another extention to June 19, 2020.
Austin-Travis County stay-home order extended again as more Texas businesses reopen

You should try to verify with a search such as "how much do hospitals get for covid-19 patients" .

side note: 80% of people put onto ventilators died (average age was 80 years old. And these people were put into comas for this invasive treatment. Not sure what current stats are. Poor reporting by news media. Hospitals faking stats to get more money (or they have to fire doctors and other staff or chapter 11? tough call

Texas and Oklahoma are two finalists for Tesla’s next U.S. factory, CNBC reported, citing a source intimately familiar with the site search. The report said Tesla representatives visited two locations in Tulsa that may be a good fit for the fifth Gigafactory. Austin has been the favorite for the new factory, with Musk making references...

Weird that Tesla seems to be rewarding States which actively discriminate against Tesla selling vehicles in their State.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really think Tesla could find the engineering talent they need in Tulsa Oklahoma, and/or Bay Area engineers would be willing to relocate there?

I wish Texas would just give them the incentives they need to have the Austin area plant pencil out, and everyone could get on with things already.

Reactions: lardog and rafacq
You really think Tesla could find the engineering talent they need in Tulsa Oklahoma, and/or Bay Area engineers would be willing to relocate there?

I wish Texas would just give them the incentives they need to have the Austin area plant pencil out, and everyone could get on with things already.

Few people will move from the Bay Area to Austin, TX, even though it is the only place in Texas they might move to.

Only people from Eastern OK will want to move to Tulsa, though having a plant there might encourage Tesla to add a couple of Supercharger stations on I-40, 50 miles each side of the OK-AR line.

No doubt the winner will have to give Tesla billions in cash and incentives, free land, no taxes for a period of time, and change their laws to allow direct sales of cars. No dealership needed.

Agree with your comments except:
1 I have not seen cash given out to any relocated firm
2 I have not seen free land given away either (land is cheap here anyway)
3. Texans can and do buy cars directly from Tesla. I know because I bought two Teslas directly from Tesla and the process could not have been smoother (both times).

• Disagree
Reactions: lardog and rafacq
Agree with your comments except:
1 I have not seen cash given out to any relocated firm
2 I have not seen free land given away either (land is cheap here anyway)
3. Texans can and do buy cars directly from Tesla. I know because I bought two Teslas directly from Tesla and the process could not have been smoother (both times).

Free land and cash is what some one else offered, Joplin, Mo Here is the story.

Joplin, near Missouri's borders with Oklahoma and Kansas, is seeking to tempt electric-car maker Tesla Inc. with a $1 billion package of incentives and savings to build a new factory for Tesla's futuristic Cybertruck.

Joplin is offering Tesla a 1,042-acre site at a 50% discount, according to a website it's built to woo the company led by billionaire Elon Musk. It's also coaxing the carmaker with a 100% tax abatement for 12 years, and various other tax breaks and incentives.

I think Musk will push the direct sales in Texas because if it falls there, other states will drop it also. And wouldn't be cool to be able to drive to the factory and pickup your CyberTruck, take picture with crew, etc. like we do in California.

No doubt the winner will have to give Tesla billions in cash and incentives, free land, no taxes for a period of time, and change their laws to allow direct sales of cars. No dealership needed.
Cash? Probably not.
Free (or discounted) land? Wouldn't hurt.
Some combination of incentives and tax breaks for a period of time? Likely.
Allowing Tesla employees in showrooms to engage in direct sales? Definitely.

Joplin had no chance with Tesla and knew it. Their bid was a publicity stunt to put themselves on the map for future opportunities.

Last edited:
Free land and cash is what some one else offered, Joplin, Mo Here is the story.

Joplin, near Missouri's borders with Oklahoma and Kansas, is seeking to tempt electric-car maker Tesla Inc. with a $1 billion package of incentives and savings to build a new factory for Tesla's futuristic Cybertruck.

Joplin is offering Tesla a 1,042-acre site at a 50% discount, according to a website it's built to woo the company led by billionaire Elon Musk. It's also coaxing the carmaker with a 100% tax abatement for 12 years, and various other tax breaks and incentives.

I think Musk will push the direct sales in Texas because if it falls there, other states will drop it also. And wouldn't be cool to be able to drive to the factory and pickup your CyberTruck, take picture with crew, etc. like we do in California.

I saw what MO offered and WOW. My comment is that TX does not (to my knowledge) offer 1 and 2 to anyone (I was in the Economic Development business for 10 years in Texas). And Texas is still the #1 destination for companies leaving California and has been for the last 12 years. I picked up my Teslas at the Houston Tesla Service Center (and took pictures too!) so I don't see why we Texans couldn't drive to Hutto and pick up the CyberTruck at the factory (its not a dealership but I could wrong about this point).

Last edited: