Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reported Door Redesign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I’m getting ready to take the car in for the 8th attempt at having it fixed properly, I did a bit of asking around beforehand.

One of my perennial issues is a misaligned door, and the local SCs have put a lot of effort into realigning it with results anywhere between catastrophic and “almost there”. I spoke to an independent body shop, in an effort to understand why it’s such a big deal to put a door in place on a Model 3. They told me that it’s essentially unfixable. Pulling it a bit in one direction messes the alignment on the other axes and it’s damn near impossible to get it right. They said Tesla has since redesigned the door and all collision repairs they do involve replacing the whole door AND the corresponding hardware on the inside of the body. They said that nothing on the new doors is compatible with the old one (handles, interior panels, hinges, nothing) as the fasteners are now different, and any damage involves getting a complete new door.

I don’t know if this is true but, while it was not the answer I was looking for, it’s the first one that is starting to make sense.

not what i wanted to hear since i need to have alignment fixed on my door :(
Tell me about it. I think I’m in the same boat. I thought it may have been a striker issue but when I look at the alignment of the door latch with the striker, it’s perfect. So I’m thinking it may be a door alignment issue. And it’s only the drivers door that has issues closing. All other doors are fine.

Yet another reason no one should buy a Model 3 made before November or so. The build quality and design choices on them are questionable. Sure, there are perfectly good examples out there. But if I were buying a used TM3, I would prefer to avoid those cars entirely.

Totally IMO.

Yet another reason no one should buy a Model 3 made before November or so. The build quality and design choices on them are questionable. Sure, there are perfectly good examples out there. But if I were buying a used TM3, I would prefer to avoid those cars entirely.

Totally IMO.
My car seems to be perfect and I got it in July. I found one tiny paint problem that was easy to fix with about 1/4 drop of touch up paint.

Tell me about it. I think I’m in the same boat. I thought it may have been a striker issue but when I look at the alignment of the door latch with the striker, it’s perfect. So I’m thinking it may be a door alignment issue. And it’s only the drivers door that has issues closing. All other doors are fine.

Exactly same for me.

Totally IMO.

I have a LR RWD i picked up in Feb 18 and everything is perfect.

Reactions: VT_EE

Totally IMO.
Odds improve as time goes on, and I had a Ranger tell me straight up he was waiting until 2020 (he'd worked for Toyota prior, and said he'd do the exact same thing for their vehicles), but lots of vehicles have been fine and Tesla has largely been reasonable and responsive in fixing things.

Sure it's a gamble, I laid down money for an AWD before a single one had rolled off the factory line proper, but it's not a risk without potential rewards.