Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reprogram used Model Y Key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I found a seller who got rid of his model Y and is selling his used key fob. Can used key fobs be reprogrammed onto another car? My Model Y is still in order but was thinking of picking this up if it is still programmable. Has anyone experience this before?

Yes, its actually very simple. Its the same process you would use to program a smartphone to be used as a key. The only "gotcha" would be, some of the keyfobs for model 3/y (same fob) are the older style that do not have passive entry.

That means that they dont work like phone as key, the button has to be pushed on them to use them. Newer style ones do support passive entry.

Relevant part relating to what I am saying:

=========================

Does my Key Fob have Passive Entry?
Key fobs with the TESLA logo printed on the flat side have the passive locking and unlocking functionality. Key fobs with the MODEL 3 logo printed on the flat side cannot passively lock and unlock your vehicle.

TL ; DR -- yes it will work as long as the keyfob itself is functional. It may or may not have passive entry.

Yes, its actually very simple. Its the same process you would use to program a smartphone to be used as a key. The only "gotcha" would be, some of the keyfobs for model 3/y (same fob) are the older style that do not have passive entry.

That means that they dont work like phone as key, the button has to be pushed on them to use them. Newer style ones do support passive entry.

Relevant part relating to what I am saying:

Does my Key Fob have Passive Entry?
Key fobs with the TESLA logo printed on the flat side have the passive locking and unlocking functionality. Key fobs with the MODEL 3 logo printed on the flat side cannot passively lock and unlock your vehicle.

TL ; DR -- yes it will work as long as the keyfob itself is functional. It may or may not have passive entry.
Ok thank you for the reply. I was reluctant to buy because I wasn't sure if it was reprogrammable if it was already paired with a different car. So it not like they can lock the key to a car right? Or they have to release the key to be usable again right?

Ok thank you for the reply. I was reluctant to buy because I wasn't sure if it was reprogrammable if it was already paired with a different car. So it not like they can lock the key to a car right? Or they have to release the key to be usable again right?

Nope. it should work just fine.

Sorry to drag this up again - so in theory if I lost my key fob, someone could just keep it and program it to their car? That's really strange logic, I would've thought that you would have to unpair the key from one car before it could be re-paired to another. (With a dealer visit required if the key was already paired to another car and needed re-pairing)

Has anyone tried doing this to see if it's possible? (I guess it takes the risk out of buying 2nd hand fobs, but surprised it works that way)

Sorry to drag this up again - so in theory if I lost my key fob, someone could just keep it and program it to their car? That's really strange logic, I would've thought that you would have to unpair the key from one car before it could be re-paired to another. (With a dealer visit required if the key was already paired to another car and needed re-pairing)

Has anyone tried doing this to see if it's possible? (I guess it takes the risk out of buying 2nd hand fobs, but surprised it works that way)
Yes that’s how it works. Key cards and fobs can be paired to multiple cars at the same time. To switch key fobs button/passive entry between paired cars, you tap it on the B pillar reader.

If you lose a key, be sure to delete it in the car.

Thats because you are thinking of this like a regular ICE car, where it also takes a trip to the dealer to remove the key from the car. With tesla model 3s and Ys, the keycard, keyfob or phone can be removed by the end user, in the car, with a few button presses.

Since it doesnt require a trip to the dealer to remove the keycard, it doesnt require a trip to the dealer to program one either (as long as you buy the right one, model S and X keyfobs should be considered not compatible with model 3/Y since not all of them will work.