Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep reading stories of owners who already sold their Y with low miles and got more money than what they paid for it. Wild!
I see nothing wrong with that, if when I get mine, I end up not liking something (phantom braking, auto headlights, windshield wipers, panel gaps or expected range) or a combination of the prior I would sell it if becomes too much of a hassle to a traditional ICE car. This hot used car market won't last forever and I already took advantage of it once when I sold my BMW for 20% more than it's trade in value a year ago, and I'll do it again if i decide I won't want or like the Model Y.

I keep reading stories of owners who already sold their Y with low miles and got more money than what they paid for it. Wild!
Cool story. Why is this surprising to anyone?

Supply, meet demand.

Also, they likely didn’t get more than what they paid when you factor in taxes and registrations. But I will agree that breaking even on a new car is highly unusual. What you should be asking yourself is, why are people selling them so quickly? Clearly making money is not the reason. It’s because they don’t like the car.

Reactions: ajs847
Cool story. Why is this surprising to anyone?

Supply, meet demand.

Also, they likely didn’t get more than what they paid when you factor in taxes and registrations. But I will agree that breaking even on a new car is highly unusual. What you should be asking yourself is, why are people selling them so quickly? Clearly making money is not the reason. It’s because they don’t like the car.
Here in the Midwest it’s because they forget that cold weather destroys the range.

Reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one. Can anyone speak to how the resale value was for MY or M3 before these shenanigans? A buddy of mine who got his MY 2 weeks before me (mid October 21') just traded it in for a crosstrek (yikes..) and made about $4k on the Y above what he paid including taxes.. but without what is happening right now was resale comparable with normal ICE vehicles or better/worse?

Reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one. Can anyone speak to how the resale value was for MY or M3 before these shenanigans? A buddy of mine who got his MY 2 weeks before me (mid October 21') just traded it in for a crosstrek (yikes..) and made about $4k on the Y above what he paid including taxes.. but without what is happening right now was resale comparable with normal ICE vehicles or better/worse?
Resale value right now is as high as it has ever been.

Multiple price hikes, along with long wait times for new orders, (and inflation), are all contributing factors.