Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't received an invite from Tesla to configure my M3, but I went to my account and suddenly it told me it was ready to be configured. I was really shocked it happened so quickly.

But, I kind of want to wait for AWD to start simply because of the few extra miles of range it will provide. I like to drive pretty fast on the interstate and we all know that eats up range quickly. So every miles counts.

With that said, how long do I have before Tesla takes away my invitation? I thought of using on the "Hold my Spot" option, but I'm not 100% sure I want to wait for the AWD due to the tax credit running out. So, if I hold my place in line for the AWD, can I change my mind and go ahead and configure at any time?

Reactions: BagheeraNY
Truth be told, there isn't really a difference between hitting Hold My Spot and just not responding at all. You're now able to configure at your convenience, and we should know more about AWD in the next couple months so not much longer to wait.

But if you know you're waiting for AWD, it does help Tesla to know what people are waiting for. When you hit Hold My Spot, you'll be asked what you're waiting for and you can indicated AWD there.

Then, when you log in next, you'll still be able to configure if you want, but at least Tesla will know why you're waiting so they can factor that into their production plans (loosely).

• Informative
Yes - I did a 'hold my spot' for my 2nd reservation & indicated that I was waiting for AWD (well, really, it's my daughter waiting, but doesn't matter in this context :) ).

When I went in to look at the options later, I still had the ability to order now if I wanted to skip AWD. I think they're just asking for the reason you're waiting, so they have a better idea for manufacturing planning.

• Informative
Yeah, they need some more "Hold my Spot" options. Like Seat Color/Ventilated Seats or Air Suspension (and a slew of others). But as with anything Tesla, your get what they offer now and hope that some worthwhile option will be included in the future.

So, if I hold my place in line for the AWD, can I change my mind and go ahead and configure at any time?

I can confirm you can say "Hold my spot" then change your mind and configure anytime. I initially was going to wait until the AWD came out so had clicked "hold my spot" and selected AWD as the reason. A few weeks later, my S got totaled, so I needed a new car ASAP. Went back in to My Tesla and could configure like normal. Got the 3 two weeks later.

• Informative