TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Residential curbside charging ideas

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Kevin Harney, May 6, 2009.

1. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

W&W,

Have you found a way to charge with no driveway or garage yet ?!?!?!?

2. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

No sir...but worst-case, I'll just throw out an extension cord like I do for the occasional power tool or dead battery:

2297462154_d4a604ed79.jpg

It's not anywhere near as challenging as condo-dwellers that want an EV...

3. Kevin Harney

Let me know what solutions you find. I am in a similar situation and also just figured on a extention cord but am concerned that the HOA will pitch a fit as it would cross the sidewalk.

4. Kevin Harney

Thinking perhaps a receptacle that is mounted in the ground in the median strip between the sidewalk and the curb ?!?!?!?

5. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

"HOA" - You said a bad word.

NoVA and HOAs seem to go hand-in-hand - oh the pain.

That's definitely a concern of mine, and I've considered the idea of a permanent receptacle in the grass median as well. But concealment is the key if you don't want to get your wrists slapped by the HOA. So we'll see how creative we can get...

The only other concern is weather. While I'd try and avoid it, I want to be able to charge in the rain...

6. Kevin Harney

My other problem is that our water meters are in the median as well so I would have to avoid that area as well. My designated space is not DIRECTLY in front of my unit either. Only about 1/2 a house away but still not directly in front. I was thinking conduit from the house to the median ending in a buried box receptacle. That house looks familiar. Of course all TH's tend to look the same. And I sold real estates in your area for 10 years. PM me with the street name. I am sure that you are very close to me and I pass through Centreville on my way to work everyday as well.

7. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

"You said a BAD word." ! LOL :biggrin:

Hide it from the HOA in a fake fire hydrant ?

8. Kevin Harney

Then the fake Fire Hydrant would be in violation LOL :eek:

9. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Nice try ... I guess you're saying the vigilante HOA would not be fooled by something too obvious and in plain sight. I guess I'll crawl back to my country-side freedom now ...

10. Kevin Harney

Sometimes I envy that country-side freedom :biggrin:

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Or a cement water meter cover that is flush with the ground.

I would look around the complex for some type of existing cover, sewer, drain, sprinkler, phone, power, etc., that is already being used/approved. Source it out and install it with your plug in a watertight box below the lid. The utility may never even look in it since it's not on their plans.

OR

You could go with:

stone-.jpg

12. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

Assuming we could conceal the outlet, the big -?- in my mind is always, how to covertly (yet expertly) run a wire *under* the sidewalk?

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Perpendicularly or lateraly?

14. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

Future Business Opportunity

Once enough electric vehicles are out in the wild, someone will start a valet charging service for folks in condos and those who only have curbside parking.

For a monthly fee, the valet picks up your car late at night, drives it to a nearby charging location, and returns it fully charged before you wake up in the morning.

For a premium, the car can also be cleaned periodically, windshield fluid topped up, tires checked, etc.

Although it would be more expensive than charging from regular house current, it could still be a lot cheaper than gasoline.

Unfortunately it won't be available soon enough for you guys on the cutting edge.

I hope you find a good solution that will work for you.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, I could do that for Tesla owners in my area.
    Anyone know how to disable the odometer temporarily and turn off valet mode? :wink:

16. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

Perpendicular.

Oh, hell yeah! You are the Google master! :) That video is great! So just dig deep enough to get beneath the bottom of the sidewalk, and *drive a PVC pipe through the ground*. After a few days of rain, this should be way-easy.

I'm seeing a bit of light peeking through the tunnel...

17. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

TEG, I have a feeling you might not get a lot of repeat customers!

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I've done this 6 times over the years starting when I learned from my dad (back then there was no PVC). Messy, but works unless the soil is really big-rocky.
    The last time I found a black plastic nozzle designed specifically for this that glued on the end of the PVC pipe. Alas, with fist and melon sized rocks blocking the way I had to rent a cement cutter and cut a slot.

19. domenick

domenick Nerd

As someone mentioned in the comments of that original article the Bullet Mole is pretty nifty. The video is worth checking out.

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Very cool. They thought of everything.

The water/PVC pipe technique is a low budget way to go and the Bullet Mole is more of a contractor tool but maybe you could convince you local tool rental house to buy one to rent out.

With the rocks I have around here I would go with this next time.