Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield crack out of the blue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y windshield developed a crack on its own. It was standing in my driveway, just outside my garage. It was raining for sometime and then it stopped and the sun came out. I went to bring the car into the garage when I found the crack. It was not there a couple of hours ago when I took the car out. No idea how it happened. There is no impact point or chip either. Opened a service request with Tesla but they obviously want $1460.07 for the estimate. I have approved it but I will make sure they check the warranty before they do anything. I am hoping this should be covered under warranty as there was no impact. A simple google search shows this happens a lot. Anyone had a similar experience? What did you do? Did Tesla replace it for you?

How old is the car? How many miles? Where is the crack? Can you post a photo?

AFAIK, this does NOT "...happen a lot..." . Occasionally, yes, but not a lot.
2023 MYLR. 9807 miles. The crack is from inside. When I drag my nail from outside it’s smooth but from inside it scrapes a little. I will take it to Tesla to se what they say. Hoping for the best.

Same. Just had mine replaced under warranty. Crack was along bottom edge, entirely in the black margin, no evidence of rock strike.

SC rep looked at it for about 5 seconds before saying, "yep, happy to warranty that, no damage I can see."

Not windshield but I had similar situation with one of the read quarter windows. They wouldnt replace it under warranty (since its safety glass and shatters so impossible to tell if there was impact), had to pay $650 for replacement.

My Model Y windshield developed a crack on its own. It was standing in my driveway, just outside my garage. It was raining for sometime and then it stopped and the sun came out. I went to bring the car into the garage when I found the crack. It was not there a couple of hours ago when I took the car out. No idea how it happened. There is no impact point or chip either. Opened a service request with Tesla but they obviously want $1460.07 for the estimate. I have approved it but I will make sure they check the warranty before they do anything. I am hoping this should be covered under warranty as there was no impact. A simple google search shows this happens a lot. Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you do? Did Tesla replace it for you?
My Model Y got a crack out of nowhere when parked. Reported the incident to Tesla on 4/10/2024. Tesla service center found a very small "rock" impact and declined warranty coverage!

• Informative
Reactions: Pianewman
My Model Y got a crack out of nowhere when parked. Reported the incident to Tesla on 4/10/2024. Tesla service center found a very small "rock" impact and declined warranty coverage!
Sorry to hear about your issue. I was prepared for a denial too but somehow Lucked out and they agreed to replace it under warranty. I think it depends on the Service Center. The so called tiny "rock" impacts are hard to prove either way. And my argument was that if the impact is so tiny that you had to use special equipment to see it, then how can it crack the shield? Are the shields that delicate? Clearly the wind shields are inferior quality and Tesla knows about it. Either they crack on their own due to Temperature differences (most likely) or some very tiny rock chip can cause it to crack. And just like many things tesla they don't want to do anything about it. Within Spec. This is not rocket science folks, car makers have been making windshields for over a century now and you'd think they have figured out all this. We have all learned to accept cheap Tesla quality due to TINA effect (There Is No Alternative) but hopefully that will change eventually and the I guess the stock price of TSLA shows it. They will need to up their game or frustrated consumers will move on. Selling a car is like a restaurant. You can definitely attract customers with a new flashy restaurant, but unless your food is good (which translates to a repeat customer) you will not survive for too long. Tesla must work to invest in its products to have *repeat* customers especially when other manufacturers will offer competing products. I am not going to be a repeat customer unless something changes drastically about their products. My model Y is the first and last Tesla for me. I am sorry, FSD failed to seduce me.

Reactions: OxBrew
Sorry to hear about your issue. I was prepared for a denial too but somehow Lucked out and they agreed to replace it under warranty. I think it depends on the Service Center. The so called tiny "rock" impacts are hard to prove either way. And my argument was that if the impact is so tiny that you had to use special equipment to see it, then how can it crack the shield? Are the shields that delicate? Clearly the wind shields are inferior quality and Tesla knows about it. Either they crack on their own due to Temperature differences (most likely) or some very tiny rock chip can cause it to crack. And just like many things tesla they don't want to do anything about it. Within Spec. This is not rocket science folks, car makers have been making windshields for over a century now and you'd think they have figured out all this. We have all learned to accept cheap Tesla quality due to TINA effect (There Is No Alternative) but hopefully that will change eventually and the I guess the stock price of TSLA shows it. They will need to up their game or frustrated consumers will move on. Selling a car is like a restaurant. You can definitely attract customers with a new flashy restaurant, but unless your food is good (which translates to a repeat customer) you will not survive for too long. Tesla must work to invest in its products to have *repeat* customers especially when other manufacturers will offer competing products. I am not going to be a repeat customer unless something changes drastically about their products. My model Y is the first and last Tesla for me. I am sorry, FSD failed to seduce me.
Uhh...nope. 50 years of car ownership here and an avid reader/researcher.

There is no substantial evidence that Tesla windshields are inferior. No auto maker makes their own windshields. They all come from the same glass manufacturers. EVERY auto forum has lengthy threads about their "inferior" windshields. NONE have provided evidence of inferior quality (except the obvious issues with occasional defects)

windshield failures are totally random.

(FSD is a life-threatening embarrassment. IMHO, a total failure.)

Last edited:
Reactions: CapsEngineer
I think I did signed something that told me I was going to be one giant beta tester. Everything about these cars is different, it has to be. Probably new, less weighty, glass.. I'm thankful to have a new auto maker that isn't stuck in the same old rut, joining the club. With a, "we have a better way" philosophy, that may come with cracked windshields, or chaotic wipers..ugh, FSD...But hey, you can't say they're boring.:) So, for the mean time..I'll deal..and just get more refills.

I think I did signed something that told me I was going to be one giant beta tester. Everything about these cars is different, it has to be. Probably new, less weighty, glass.. I'm thankful to have a new auto maker that isn't stuck in the same old rut, joining the club. With a, "we have a better way" philosophy, that may come with cracked windshields, or chaotic wipers..ugh, FSD...But hey, you can't say they're boring.:) So, for the mean time..I'll deal..and just get more refills.
Nope. Nothing special about Tesla glass, comes from a shared manufacturer of glass.